Sports & martial arts in Japan

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

gjkhoury

Post by gjkhoury »

Just a splinter thread from the "ranks" topic:

Gene, I concur with your findings on rank, but have to take sides against Scaramouche's thoughts on the subject.

"Scara": All of the "martial arts" you cited in your post are, in fact, sports. This includes, ironically by the way, Judo, which pioneered much of the ranking we now incorporate in our martial practice.

(Side note: Funny that it's basically impossible to get higher than like a yondan or godan in Judo, but in the martial systems that copied their rank hierarchy hachidans --AND HIGHER -- are as common as seagulls and pidgeons! [See "ranks" thread on this forum!])

Sumo, first off, is a sport. Despite this, it, too has a VERY formal ranking system. The only one, I might add WHERE YOU CAN ACTUALLY LOSE YOUR RANK if you don't live up to it and perform!!!! (LOVE to see that in karate!)

Secondly, the sports of pancrase, kickboxing and others are just that, sport and are (I'm sure) not recognized by the Japanese Ministry of Education, the body that mandates the ranking Gene discussed in his post.

Let's remember when we speak of "martial arts" (whatever they are!) that we're talking apples and not oranges.

Respectfully,

Gary
Scaramouche

Post by Scaramouche »

gjkhoury said...

"I...have to take sides against Scaramouche's thoughts on the subject.

Could you please clearly state the nature of your disagreement?

Scaramouche
gjkhoury

Post by gjkhoury »

Scara:

Just reiterating, my feelings (perhaps mistaken) were that you were making examples of sports where Gene was discussing organized martial arts. Not everything that includes a kick or a punch is a martial art (although it may have martial applications).

I added additional comments in Steve D.'s forum. Hope to hear more from you.

Gary

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”