Looking for Seisan Video

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Malcolm Wagner

Looking for Seisan Video

Post by Malcolm Wagner »

There is a discussion on an Isshinryu site about trying to get back to the Chinese Roots of Okinawan Karate and away from the linear robot-like movements of Japanese influence.

I remember seeing a clip of Evan Pantazzi performing Seisan Kata on his Kyusho forum...very smoothe and circular...well seeing that forum is now defunct, I was wondering if anyone knew a link to this clip that I could post on the Isshinryu site.

It doesn't even necessarily have to be Evan, my point is to illustrate that some karate systems still have strong ties to the original Kung-Fu forms. I prefer Seisan because even though the Uechi and Isshin forms are very different, they still have enough in common to be able to relate the point I am trying to convey.

I think Isshinryu stylists have much to learn from our Uechi-brothers.

Thanks in advance,
Mal
gmattson
Site Admin

Looking for Seisan Video

Post by gmattson »

Check the video clip section. There is a link at the bottom of this page. Lots of kata and other interesting clips there.

------------------
GEM
Bill Glasheen

Looking for Seisan Video

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Malcolm

There are more than a few of us looking at Chinese roots. But frankly this takes on many different avenues. In some cases, there is this endless quest for "the true way," as if something vital has been lost or is not being taught. In other cases, it's the objection to the mechanics of movement, or the emphasis on the single technique. And then there is the way the Japanese like to perfect a single thing whereas the Chinese sometimes view forms as merely snapshots of an idea in time.

Evan's quest was pretty tightly tied to his kyusho background. Evan likes the Traditional Chinese Medicine approach to targeted sequential striking. But interestingly enough, his background was in Okinawan Kempo.

George

Pardon me for being dense but...what happened to Evan? Did he take his ball and go home? Are we on speaking terms? Too many trips around the world to be bothered? Too much negative chi?

If I'd never met Evan, by the way, I wouldn't be prodding him so... Image He's a good man.

- Bill
gmattson
Site Admin

Looking for Seisan Video

Post by gmattson »

Bill:

You must read the other forums once in awhile! Image

Evan pops in here from time to time and posts if he sees something interesting. He now has his own web and very popular forums and felt it was time to move on. You met him a couple years ago at camp.

------------------
GEM
Bill Glasheen

Looking for Seisan Video

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Yes, of course I met him - many times. I also performed an Ian extraction on a few occasions. Image As you recall, Evan was the fellow that brought Mr. Mooney on board. And he promised we'd work together on the Fuzhou Suparinpei.

Right Evan???

I never frequented his forum much because - in all seriousness - I wanted to let Evan be Evan. Sometimes it's hard to resist when the chi-sters get going.

With Michael Kelly's book being discussed, I presume he'll be back. He's a hopeless fanatic, like many of us. Image

- Bill
Steve

Looking for Seisan Video

Post by Steve »

Spent some time this afternoon between classes looking for Seisan on the multimedia sight. Although there are some elements of Seisan shown in the video mag clips, I couldn't find a complete version of the kata for Malcolm.

I remember viewing Evan's version of the kata and it was an interesting interpretation and beautiful to watch, but not really a Uechi-ryu presentation of the kata.

Perhaps there's an opportunity for someone to post a version of their Seisan (NOT MINE!) for the rest of us.

---------
Ok, under "Uechi Techniques" there's a video entitled "Shodan Pretest." It's GEM Sensei's comments about the readiness of a shodan candidate for his BB test. At 8 min. 47 sec. into the video, the candidate performs Seisan.

Also found one performed by Kanei Uechi on the internet at http://www.uechi-ryu.de/mpegs/seisan.mpg

It's not the best quality video, and it appears to be missing a couple of sanchin thrusts at the beginning, but interesting nonetheless.

[This message has been edited by Steve (edited June 04, 2002).]

Looking for Seisan Video

Post by Guest »

found this link as well http://www.uechi-ryu-karate.com/video/video_clips.html

You will need real player to view this.

Laird
Scott Danziger

Looking for Seisan Video

Post by Scott Danziger »

I cannot believe we do not have Seisan in the Video Library.

Who wants to volunteer?

------------------
VISIT:
Eastern Arts Multimedia
Eastern Arts Hotlist (Martial Art Links)
Taking Charge - Cable TV & Video Martial Arts Show
Deep Sea

Looking for Seisan Video

Post by Deep Sea »

I have a real good powerful Seisan on the Uechi-ryu tape I made to accompany my books. It's done several different ways, for tutorial purposes. You need to go to my website to check it out.

I only have a few left and can't make any more because much of my equipment is worn out and broken, so when the're gone, they'regone.

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
Tony-San

Looking for Seisan Video

Post by Tony-San »

Scott, i'll do it. I'll get it done tommorow. I remember doing little bits and pieces of Seisan for this forum along time ago. Are those clips still around?
Malcolm Wagner

Looking for Seisan Video

Post by Malcolm Wagner »

It's always a pleasure dealing with you gentlemen, thanks for the mobilization of forces.

Mal
Topos

Looking for Seisan Video

Post by Topos »

[When I access the video clips with Wndows Media Player 7 on Macintosh all I get is audeo but no video. This occurs with some of the video clips and not others. Are there settings that need to adjusted on my end or yours? Thanks for any help as the Tomoysose Kanshiwa Souds great but all in dark.

Looking for Seisan Video

Post by Guest »

QUOTE]Originally posted by Deep Sea:
I have a real good powerful Seisan on the Uechi-ryu tape I made to accompany my books. It's done several different ways, for tutorial purposes. You need to go to my website to check it out.
---------------------------------------------
I was luck enough to score one of the tapes Allen mentions it came with the book. Both are very good!

when the're gone, they're gone.

Image I value my tape of Sensei Bethoney performing all eight kata.

I refer to the tape almost as often as my copy of Uechi-Ryu 2000. Image

This video has Sensei Bethhoney performing all eight kata's three times.

The first time is regular speed. This sensei is a powerful practitioner of Uechi.I was blown away when I first viewed this tape!

The second performance of kata Sensei Bethoney performs the kata slowly, powerfully and with great precision while talking you through the kata making many explanations reguarding the movements and applications in the kata. This sensei is a great teacher!

The third performance is full speed full power filmed under strobe light.

This video is an excellent study of Uechi kata.

Somebody has got to get this on a digital medium!

Yes I recommend the tape Image. And if you haven't bought your copy of Uechi-ryu 2000 yet your missing out on the best deal this the millenium. No one will regret owning the book.

Allen Sensei, may I have your permission to copy the tape? I would be most disappointed to have it break or wear out knowing that I may not be able to replace it.

Laird
Tony-San

Looking for Seisan Video

Post by Tony-San »

I finished the clip and posted it on Usenet in news:alt.binaries.misc you cannot miss it.

It's a 12 meg Mpeg entitiled Uechi Ryu Seisan.

Hopefully, Scott will pick it up and post it on his site.
Tony-San

Looking for Seisan Video

Post by Tony-San »

I was told the file did not make it on attbi.com's news server. Oh Well! I bought a Whalemail account and stuck it up there. Heres the URL:
http://www.whalemail.com/download.asp?ID=tG+4c+dQUV3eHBZGa09QKvuiFUiNpIeCzk3CTptRZU2xsfN+/kZV1w==url

12mb Mpeg

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”