Some orientation, please...

Here's the place to offer suggestions for future SummerFests & WinterFests, talk about past events, post pictures and videos or share experiences from past Fests.

Moderator: gmattson

Lori

Post by Lori »

david-san,

You ask some tough questions! We here in the "Redneck Riviera" are not as sophisticated as ya'll northeners... but we do know a bit about hospitality...

Email me and let me know when you're flying in and I'm sure we can hook you up with someone to get you back and forth!

Hotels are pretty good deals - if you choose to spend a c-note a night you can get some pretty deluxe accommodations. There are also some hotels pretty close to the dojo where Winterfest is being held - but not really walking distance... again - I'm sure it won't be too much of a problem to set you up with a ride back and forth. Public transportation in Orlando is possible - but a touch short of a nightmare to figure out. Taxi's are easiest - calling for one to pick you up is pretty reliable. There are some great rental car deals available too for weekend rates - depending on your budget - and what airline you are flying in on.

I've seen airfares for under $100 between New England and Orlando -even direct flights.

Car rentals can go as low as $35/day in some places. The highways in Orlando are pretty straightforward - not as insane as LA from what I understand! You only have to watch out for the crazy tourists... Image
But it's pretty easy to navigate - had to be built that way because of the international tourism being the biggest industry.

Check out the hotels that David Berndt recommends on the Winterfest page - and perhaps this forum could be a good place for people to post where they are staying to facilitate some car-pooling...

And again - email me and I'll be happy to help you out!
Raffi Derderian

Post by Raffi Derderian »

Dave,
Winterfest is fairly stress free. It is not very far from the airport at all. If I was able to navigate it, anyone can.
I am rooming with one of my Kempo black belts while I there, otherwise I would have offered to share a room.
Raf
david

Post by david »

Okay, never been too Florida or anywhere that far south because I am generally not into heat and humidity or shaking and baking in the sun. Image

I tried to scope out the airport, dojo and hotel locations with yahoo maps and such. But I can't get a sense of the distance or the public transportation system if any. Should I rent a car? It's it convoluted driving? Or high speed, highway insanity that I encountered in LA?

Thanks,

david
david

Post by david »

Alright Raffi, I feel much reassured! Image Thanks for the thought about rooming but the only person that would possibly fit is GEM sensei as he and I get up about the same time -- before dawn. But I think Susan would object!

Lori, you must be the gracious face of Southern Hospitality. Image I will be flying out of Boston 7AM Thursday morning and flying out of Orlando at the same time Monday. Now that I know public transportation is out, the highways and byways are negotiable (except for those darn tourists!) and the hotels are nearby, I'll do some more search and booking through the 'net. Will let you know if I run into any problems.

david

Return to “Fests_News”