an old friend

A forum dedicated to the creative expressions, inspirations, hopes and dreams of fellow Karateka.
SEAN C

an old friend

Post by SEAN C »

my earliest memory at the moment was also the first time I made a friend, and found a teacher. I was about 2 yrs. old when I climbed the tree. "come and experience treeness. notice the stability of deep roots in the earth, and a strong, wide base. climb the branches that radiate outward to catch sunlight and rainwater. as we grow towards the sky, feel the lightness of the wind that reminds us to be flexible at the top." Thank you, old friend. Today my Sanchin is a tree!

------------------
sean
Jackie Olsen

an old friend

Post by Jackie Olsen »

Yes, Sanchin does remind me of a tree, too. Among shamanic cultures, it is said that a tree is most like a human and when we make our connection with one, it is a way of remembering who we are.

For those so inclined, there is a simple ceremony (can also be done indoors with a plant)to do as another way of meditation:

Hug the tree, feel the roughness or smoothness of the bark. Connect by merging your chakras and one point with the tree and ask for it's blessing.

Sit in the south with your back to the tree and ask "Who am I" ... meditate, wait, listen for the voice within. Then rotate to the:

West and ask "Where have I been?"
North: "What am I here for?"
East: "What is my dream or vision?"

When completed, thank the tree with a hug or a small tobacco offering in the soil in front of the tree. Record your ceremony in a journal.

In remembrance of all my relations and beauty,

Jackie

[This message has been edited by Jackie Olsen (edited February 09, 2000).]
SEAN C

an old friend

Post by SEAN C »

Jackie,

Thank you, what a beautiful meditation idea! Something tells me I'd better do this somewhere no one can see me! Image

"Spirituality comes in different flavors, as do martial arts. The truth in all are the same, as are we."

yours, in wonder,

------------------
sean
BILLY B

an old friend

Post by BILLY B »

Ahh... So thats what they mean by "tree hugger". Image
Jackie Olsen

an old friend

Post by Jackie Olsen »

Guilty as charged! Image

BTW ... my son reminded me of a game we used to play with a children's group:

Blindfold the children and lead them to a tree. Encourage them to "feel" the tree and note the different characteristics of what you're feeling. Then, lead them around the woods -- in/out, around/back -- to confuse them where they were orginially.

Then, remove the blindfold and ask them to find "their" tree. After running to & fro, feeling various trees ... invariably the majority of the children found their original tree!

This is a fun exercise for any of you who are Scout or Camp leaders.

------------------
In Beauty,

Jackie

Return to “Creative Heart & Soul Forum”