need ideas for teaching student with little use of legs

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

janine

need ideas for teaching student with little use of legs

Post by janine »

I am a new assistant instructor and we recently got a new student who has very limited use of his legs and feet. He can walk, but with diffiiculty. I Don't remember the name of the disease ( I will ask again & write it down) but it reminds me of MS when I see him walk.
The style of MA is Mo-Shu a type of Chinese Aikido. Not alot of kicking involved. The student is a 10 year old boy who is very enthusiastic to say the least! He has a teriffic attitude and wants very badly to succeed. My heart goes out to him. I really could use any input or info or other websites or books etc, etc. on this subject matter.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Janine
gmattson
Site Admin

Hi Janine

Post by gmattson »

I was hoping Al Moulton would jump in here and help out. Al is probably one of the best examples of a person who has little use of his legs and yet has managed to continue his Uechi-ryu training and teach many students as well.

We all have disabilities of one kind or another during our lifetime. . . even if it is only growing old!

We all must learn to adjust to our weaknesses and rely on our strengths. Al, who lacks lower body strength, is a powerhouse with his arms and hands.

Don't be afraid to modify your training to suit your needs. Good luck with your training. Hopefully some of our other warriors will jump in here and help out.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Bill Bauknecht

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

Hi Janine,
I had a few disabled students over the years. One young fellow comes to mind. He and his sister both had some kind of muscle disease. He wore leg braces, could walk but it was quite an effort for him. He was around 10 years old. He trained with us for 2-3 years. For a long time I put someone behind him when we did the exercises, without help he would fall down. He actually had to be held back, he wanted to do much more than he was able to do. We just worked with him along with the other students and his physical condition actually began to improve. Eventually he was able to take off his leg braces. His doctor and his father were amazed. I do not know any plan or books that may help you. I suggest you just work with your guy, let him do what he can do and adapt where necessary. Maybe his physical condition will improve, maybe not. But as long as he is happy and keeps himself busy, you will have the satisfaction that comes from helping him do what he wants to do. Good luck!
Bill
gmattson
Site Admin

Message from Al...

Post by gmattson »

I am the "Al Moulton," Sensei Mattson mentioned, and just read your post for the first time a few minutes ago else I would have responded earlier.

I have taught students with different disabilities, and each is a unique challenge unto itself. One must size-up the motivation and abilities of the student and of the self toward the student. I believe in the mind-body-spirit. If the body is not there as it is in a normally healthy person, go after the spirit and the mind. The body will follow as best as it can. That method works wonders on even normally-gifted individuals as well. Let the student gauge his progress with himself and don't let him compete against the progress of others.

Probably not much help as my thoughts to you are abstract as I am thinking out loud.

Return to “Special Needs”