Very interesting... Women "listen up"

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Bill sent me this. Don't know why he doesn't post them himself! Anyone have any comments about the post?

Some time ago, I attended a Breast Cancer Awareness seminar put on by Terry Birk with support from Dan Sullivan. During the Q&A period, I asked why the most common (and what seemed to be deadliest) area for Breast Cancer was near the arm pit. My question could not be answered at that time.

This e-mail was just sent to me, and I find it interesting that my question has been answered. I challenge you all to re-think your everyday use of a product that could ultimately lead to a terminal illness.

As of today, I will change my use. Paranoid? I think not. Precaution? I certainly hope so. A friend forwarded this to me. I showed it to a friend going through chemotherapy and she said she learned this fact in a support group recently. I wish I had known it 14 years ago.

I just got information from a health seminar that I would like to share.

The leading cause of breast cancer is the use of anti-perspirant. What?

A Concentration of toxins and leads to cell mutations: a.k a. CANCER. Yes, ANTI-PERSPIRANT. Most of the products out there are an anti-perspirant/deodorant combination so go home and check your labels.

Deodorant is fine, anti-perspirant is not. Here's why: The human body has a few areas that it uses to purge toxins; behind the knees, behind the ears, groin area, and armpits. The toxins are purged in the form of perspiration.

Anti-perspirant, as the name clearly indicates, prevents you from perspiring, thereby inhibiting the body from purging toxins from below the armpits.

These toxins do not just magically disappear. Instead, the body deposits them in the lymph nodes below the arms since it cannot sweat them out.

Nearly all breast cancer tumors occur in the upper outside quadrant of the breast area. This is precisely where the lymph nodes are located.

Additionally, men are less likely (but not completely exempt) to develop breast cancer prompted by anti-
perspirant usage because most of the anti-perspirant product is caught in their hair and is not directly
applied to the skin.

Women who apply anti-perspirant right after shaving increase the risk further because shaving causes
almost imperceptible nicks in the skin which give the chemicals entrance into the body from the armpit
area.

PLEASE pass this along to anyone you care about. Breast Cancer is becoming frighteningly common.
This awareness may save lives.

If you are skeptical about these findings, I urge you to do some research for yourself. You will arrive
at the same conclusions, I assure you.

Thank you.
Katrina Scott
Asst Director of Sports Marketing
Univ Maryland
P.O. Box 295
Cole Field House/Campus Drive
College Park, MD 20741-0295
Mary S

Post by Mary S »

Thanks George-san (and Bill-san) ...good to know.

------------------
Shelly King

Post by Shelly King »

George-san and Bill-san

Thank-you for sharing this information. I had heard a long time ago that cancer had been related to deodorants. Had to do with the heavy metals present in them...Chromium I think. This is the first I have ever heard on how it relates to sweating. Makes sense though.

------------------
Shelly
lori macleod-doyle

Post by lori macleod-doyle »

Very interesting,
I recall hearing this years ago. I believe the ingredient in the anti-perspirant that was suspect was aluminum chlorhydrate. I have also heard this ingrediant is suspected to have a relation to alzheimers disease.

I , personally, have always believed that to use a product that basicly stops a natural process that the body preformes to cleanse and detoxify itself can't be all that good .

For those who prefere to use a more natural product , there is a natural deoderant found in health food stores and places like the Body Shop that works really well.
It looks like a chrystal rock and lasts for months.
All natural and no expensive packaging for those who are enviromentally concerned.

Lori M-D
Bill B

Post by Bill B »

George,
The reason I haven't posted this type of information is quite simple. You pick up the paper almost every day and read about a breakthrough in certain type cancers. The fact is, these "cures", or possible cures, hardly ever mean anything. I have cancer, I read very little about what might be down the road. If someone finds a cure for me, well, I'll go for it. One of my customers at the marina is a oncologist. Awhile back, if you remember, there was this great breakthrough, got all the press etc. I brought this up to him one day, and knowing about my cancer, he simply said, "You know they have been finding these miracle cures since back in the 50's." He's right. I do believe that taking precautions is the right thing to do. If there is one in a million chance that anti perspirants can contribute to the cause of breast cancer, then if one wants to take precautions, DO IT!! Regardless of what the good Dr. X says. Remember a good while ago, I sent you info on Equal and diet soda. Same thing, does it combine with other things to cause this dreaded disease?? No one, NO one knows. I supposed the best thing about posting these type articles is Hope, hope for those who may already be infected with cancer. I generally pay little attention. Some need to and I say, do it.
Bill
Bill B.

Post by Bill B. »

Dr. X,
"Nevertheless, it is my opinion and experience that people do better if they understand the illness. With knowledge comes some control. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT."

I agree with this completely along with your comments about media hype etc. Makes my point about posting such information. I agree too that knowledge is very important. I never heard of multiple myeloma before I was told I had it. Neither had anyone else I knew. I found out everything available to both patient and doctor. Then I went to my doctors and said ok now what do we do about it? My point about the one in a million being, we all need a crutch at some point in our lives, some need many. If one needs this kind of crutch, go for it. You know better than most, some are strong, some are weak. In the help I have given in support groups and even on this mean machine, I found everyone IS different. We all handle fear in our own way, healthy folk as well. There are some who probably prefer showering 10 times a day, why?? Because anti perspirant may cause cancer. (smiling) Which causes more damage?? Who knows? Michael Jackson wears a mask.
Bill
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

I believe that people who try harmless remedies or who attempts to prevent illness by staying away from unnecessary or possibly harmful substances, are utilizing healthy 'placebo' actions. (sorry for the cluttered sentence)

Recommending that woman not use antiperspirant may not have any validity for all the reasons Dr "X" discussed, but on the other hand, those women who follow this simple advice, may 'feel good' about making this decision. And who is to say that 'feeling good about something' is not a valid way to prevent illness!

On the other hand, doctors prescribe expensive medicine for every conceivable human condition imaginable. . . often prescribing one medicine to offset the side effects of another drug.

Whether valid or not, its nice to hear about a possible way to prevent a disease (for free) than to simply wait for it to happen, then place ourselves in the hands of the AMA and the Drug companies.

------------------
GEM
Bill B.

Post by Bill B. »

Dr. X
Don't feel bad, many, well, most people do not understand what ramble on about. As a matter of fact, I usually don't understand what I wrote either. The thing is I know what I mean, if that means anything.
Bill
Bill B.

Post by Bill B. »

George it seems to me that mother nature intended for us to stink. We are God's people, animals who are so smart that we put these chemicals on our body and again, who knows what they do to us? We put it on our bodies, we breath it, and we soak in it. All this cancer has to come from somewhere. Our area here, the towns surrounding Otis AFB has the highest cancer rate in the state. A lot of the ground water is polluted, plumes in our water shed, we drink it, we bath in it, cook with it etc etc. So I still say, things like anti-perspirants and the likes COULD be a problem in the over all picture. If you feel better not using it, find an alternative, (a safe one??) or just stink.
Bill
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Interesting!!!

Susan and I had dinner with a retired medical doctor and his wife this evening. He just upgraded to a new computer and is now exploring the internet. I was telling him to join us here to share experiences and knowledge. The subject turned to magnets and non-conventional healing techniques.

He used to be a real conservative when it came to health issues, then another medical doctor friend convinced him to experiment with magnets to relieve aches and pains that my friend learned to 'live with' along with prescription medicine. Figuring he had nothing to lose, he tried them and his pain stopped. He makes no claims about magnets, except that for him, they worked where conventional medicine failed.

His medical doctor friend, told him about his knee injury (can't remember the medical term) that got so bad, his doctor recommended surgery for a join replacement! As a last resort, he tried magnets and his condition improved, making surgery unnecessary.

Now I'm wondering if J.D. recommends that the doctor who opted for the magnets instead of surgery should have the surgery anyways, since the improved condition is a hoax and therefore not real. Image

------------------
GEM
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

With my sincere apologies to the leprechaun

An Irishman walks into a bar and asks for two beers. He then pulls a small green-skinned man out of his pocket and puts him on the counter. As he's drinking one drink and the green man is drinking the other, our Dr. "X" down the bar who has had a few too many drinks says "Hey, what's that little green thing down there?"

The green man runs down the bar gives our good Doctor a raspberry, "SPLBLBLBT!," right in the face and runs back to the Irishman.

Dr "X" mops himself off and says to the Irishman, "Hey, what is that thing, anyway?"

The Irishman replies, "Have some respect. He's a leprechaun."

"Oh, all right." Dr "X" says sullenly. (Naturally, he doesn't believe in leprechauns--Ed)They all go back to drinking beer.

An hour or so later, our good Doctor is really plastered. "Boy, that leprechaun sure is an ugly little bastard!" he says. The leprechaun runs down the bar and gives the Doctor a spit bath again ...... SPLBLBLBT!

This time our good Doctor is really mad! "Tell that leprechaun that if he does that again I'll cut his dick off!" he shouts.

"You can't do that" says the Irishman. "Leprechauns don't have dicks."

"How do they pee, then?" asks the Doctor.

"They don't," says the Irishman. "They go SPLBLBLBT."
Bill B.

Post by Bill B. »

Thanks for posting that George, as you know, I already knew that about Leprechauns. They often make their appearances on the golf course, especially on the greens. I hate em.
Bill
Bill B

Post by Bill B »

When I was diagnosed, one of my relatives set me up with a "Must See Doctor" A true miracle man. My wife and I were taken to him and we discovered he was a holistic (spelling?) "Doctor". He knew all about my illness and treats conventional doctors with the same disease. ( He says) He called my doctors quacks because they had not biopsied my tumor and how did they know that my tumor was a myeloma. He prescribed about 30 lbs of herbal medicine, which I bought and began taking. I saw my own doctor and ask why a biopsy had not been done. He assured me it wasnt necessary, they had the diagnosis ok. In the meantime I continued seeing my regular cancer people. My doctor was very interested in the treatment prescribed by the other "doctor" and I give him credit for having an open mind and wanting to learn more about it. After a week or two, when I was to begin radiation and chemo treatment, my wife and I didnt have much time to decide which treatment to go with, we chose the conventional. I also discussed with my doctor my feeling that I didnt feel right taking all this "stuff" plus eveything else related to my treatment. He agreed and I swung over entirely to the conventional meds.After the treatment failed to put the 15cm tumor to sleep they decided to do a biopsy, (another reason they didnt do it earlier was fear of bleeding and spreading)Since the treatment didnt stop the spread, they feared other parts of the body were infected. They werent, and the bio confirmed the diagnosis. Seeing the Dr. Holistic one more time, I told him all, he was much calmer and when I told him I was going to NEMC in Boston for a bone marrow xplant down the road, he encouraged that. Never went back after that. What I am leading up to is after the xplant, I as before had lots of pain caused by the tumor eating away my pelvic bone and hip. I had to walk with a 4 pronged cane in one hand and a regular cane in the other. Hate to take pills so I just "coped". George arranged for me to have a session with Steve Benson and his "Healing Hands". Me?? I never believed in this, or should I say never paid attention. After seeing Steve, and I do not claim to know why
or how, but this man managed to relieve my pain to the point I was able to play golf again, walk with hardly any limp, teach some karate classes and generally get along like a normal person. This was overnight. NOW,,No one and I repeat, no one can tell me that something didn't do something. My mind?? No. I left Steve with some relief in my back, no relief in my hip area. I went to bed, got up like a normal person and was pain free. I could bend to the floor and pick up something like a normal person. My wife, who did not accompany me to Steve, couldn't believe it. Neither could I. What happened? SOMETHING did. I dont know what, dont care. My pain was real, the bone leisons were real and the relief was unbelievable. So what I am saying here is, if it helps, you can take all the science and medical know how available, and have no explanation. My doctor at New England Medical Center was all ears, she knew of my pain, offered me pain pills any time I wanted. Never took one, but here she saw my relief and even how I was able to walk. She then ask me if I ever heard of the magnets, she has a friend who has experienced relief with using them. Doctors are beginning to believe there just may be something to this. Acupuncture?? My wife tried it for migrain headaches. Unfortunitely it didnt work for her. We did see good results with other things though. People who couldnt walk with arthritis, begin treatment and after a couple weeks, walk out of the clinic. Somethings do work. I know that, I experienced it. Steve took away my pain when no one else could short of taking drugs. Every two months I have my checkups in Boston, my scans still show and will always show the abnormalcies in my left pelvic/hip area. My pain is minimal. Just because somethings can not be explained in a book, doesn't mean they are not real.
Bill
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Good Doctor:

I do not find fault with most of what you just said. Hard to dispute Science.

However. . . I'm still unclear if the physician who turned down knee surgery should have it anyway since Science determined he needed a new kneee???

He may be able to schedule it between Marathons!

------------------
GEM
Bill B.

Post by Bill B. »

Dr. X,
I cannot keep up with you for sure, nor can I argue your statements. I will say a couple things about my experiences. My doctor was shocked when they diagnosed me, I had no symptoms other than the sometime severe pain that put me on my knees. I had a physical every year, no symptoms. The Benz Jones factor in my urine showed small numbers even after diagnosis, so that was not a factor. Most all MM patients I talk to were diagnosed after routine blood test during a physical. Again, I had no symptons. Xrays of the hip showed only some ligament damage. The tumors do no show up in regular xrays. After about one yr. of this, finally, and I say finally, they gave me an MRI. This only showed a small shadow, which they followed up with numerous angle shots. Boom, there was this 15 cm tumor sitting in my left pelvic bone. Either someone goofed up or as they have told me right along, I have an unusual MM. As you know, bone tumors are very hard to see with xrays. My long bones showed very little in the way of tumors. Bone marrow biopsies proved it had gone into the bone marrow. So in my case,, different. You described the Myeloma tumor as it was described to me, bloody and dangerous to biopsy. A cat scan biopsy was successful with no problems. Dealing with pain was never a problem with me, however, I know there is pain, in the head pain, and pain, very real pain. The pain in my hip area was real, uncontrolable , meaning my unability to shut it off. Other pain?? Kidney stones. 3 times,,first time worse pain I ever experienced. The next times, not so bad. As far as the treatment taking away my pain. That can't be true. I have had no drugs, no treatment whatsoever since my transplant Dec. 6, 1996. NOTHING. no chemo, no radiation, nothing. When I saw Steve, it was around 6 to 7 months after xplant. Suddenly,,overnight the treatment took away the pain? No, I don't believe that. Did my mind take away the pain?? No, I didnt believe Steve would help me anyway. Sorry, but no one will ever convince otherwise,he was able to do something,,I have no idea what. No one will convince my wife,something took away the pain and allowed me to walk near normal, overnight ,,. There is no proof?? To me I am the proof, I will recommend Steve to anyone willing to try. And again I say, what can it hurt?? Will he give me a different cancer or give me the mumps or something? Hasn't happened yet. I have not been back to Steve, but if I need him he is there for me. Just because it's not in a book, doesn't necessarily mean it won't work.
Bill

Return to “Special Needs”