Spring Cleaning

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

Allen M.

Spring Cleaning

Post by Allen M. »

Been considering doing a 3-day fast, but haven't done one for years.

Would appreciate tips and suggestions, because I know there are some caveats involved with it, but don't have any info on the subject.

Has anyone else tried it? Like to get some advice from non-doctors. Image

------------------
Allen, New website http://www.ury2k.com/pulse/index.htm mirror: http://home.ici.net/~uechi/
student

Spring Cleaning

Post by student »

Moulton-Sensei:

Fast means different things to different people. As an observant Jew to me it means total abstenance from food and drink; to others just from solid food, to some others, something else.

What do you mean by a three day fast?

What do you hope to accomplish?

student
Lori

Spring Cleaning

Post by Lori »

Al-sensei,

A subject close to my heart! I've followed a personal tradition of a three-day fast - once a month - for the last five or six years - I forget how many. But it has become a way of life - I enjoy it and the results - and I'm actually a bit addicted to the process.

As student-san aptly points out - "fast" means different things to different people... I met a few Muslims who would fast all through Ramadan - until the sun went down - and then it was feast city. (I understand this is not the "norm" however for Ramadan practice - I don't mean to make generalizations.) As for the definition of "fast" - some take fast to be total abstinence from food and drink - others drink only - others water only...

For me - each month I do a "juice fast" - where I drink almost unlimited quantities of juice - (the kind depends on what I wish to accomplish during the fast and what the physical demands are on me during that time) and lots of water. Which isn't really that much because I don't get thirsty very often. I try to get at least 1/2 gallon of juice and 1/2 gallon of water down throughout each day of the fast. More would probably be better.

I do not limit physical activity. Before this stupid accident - when I was running 20-25 miles a week and doing weights 3 times a week in addition to 6-8 MA classes a week - I never varied my physical routine during a fast. In fact, I found that the workouts that fell on the third day of the fast to be exhiliarating and energetic. The feeling was so great it sometimes spurred me on to a five day fast - when I usually had to force myself to quit fasting. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE food - really good food I like too much in fact. But I find a regular fast a great way to give the digestive system a break - flush toxins - increase energy and clear the mind.

Now that I am so limited in physical activity - the monthly fast has become critical to my "balance."

If you haven't fasted in years however, I would suggest checking with your doctor before starting a fast - and combining exercise with it.

I've got some other guidelines etc. that I follow - I'd be happy to share the references with you if you like. Drop me an email if you are inclined.

Peace,
Lori
Allen M.

Spring Cleaning

Post by Allen M. »

I haven't returned to this post 'till now, red-faced and sorry for the tardiness; thought no one replied.

Well student, I have heard that people fast to purge toxins out of the body. I asked on the forum because I understand total abstenance from food and drink can be harmful. So, there must be a balance.

Thanks Lori. Spring is here, and, I want to do something different that could have dividends. Is the juice fast acetic? Do people drink coffee on these things?

I get the sense that one should drink plenty of liquids on a fast. Should one progressively eat less to aclimate the body for the shock it's in for or just pick a day and have at it?

------------------
Allen, New website http://www.ury2k.com/pulse/index.htm mirror: http://home.ici.net/~uechi/
student

Spring Cleaning

Post by student »

Yes, you should have plenty of liquids if possible. But if you currently consume caffiene or theobromide, go slowly off them first before you start a solid food fast, or you'll get a headache that will make migraines a pleasure by comparison!

BTDT - no fun.

student

Return to “Special Needs”