The Feared One

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

Allen M.

The Feared One

Post by Allen M. »

Whomever said Bubonic Plague was dead was sleeping. When I lived in Abq., every year several people would become hosts. The plague is alive and well in the forests and mountains of New Mexico and "plagues" the littler animals who dwell there. Don't remember if it is an animal bite which transfers the plague, or if the disease is carried by ticks who go for a ride on humans for a free lunch, or both.

Nervously watched every year in the rockies, it is only a matter of time...

http://asia.dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/world/afp/article.html?s=asia/headlines/010621/world/afp/US_health_officials_keeping_an_eye_on_potential_bubonic_plague_exposure.html

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
Bill B.

The Feared One

Post by Bill B. »

Wow Allen I didn't know that. I have a niece and her family who live in Alq. (I can't spell it either.) lol. She and her husband are both retired AF Captains and they settled there quite a few years ago. I will ask her if she has heard of any activity.
Bill
Allen M.

The Feared One

Post by Allen M. »

Albuquerque. I just got tired of spelling it out. Actually, most people can NOT spell it correctly, even the inhabitants. LOL

I love that city. Lived there for 7 years. Simply magnificent. One mile high with one side against a mountain that runs another mile up almost vertically, and the Rio Grande bordering it on the other side, and seems like everyone rides around in a pickup truck with a rifle rack mounted across the rear window.

It's either squirrels, raccons, or mice that live at the base of the sandias that cause the concern, and either tics or fleas that spread the disease. I remember a kid got bitten and came down with the plague. The worst things there are rattlesnakes and arroyos, though.

What part of ABQ does your niece and family live?

------------------
Ron G

The Feared One

Post by Ron G »

Alan, We have had it in the mountains of Southern Calif. for many years from our ground squirrel population. Every once in awhile a few people get it from flea bites. It appears to be seasonal.

[This message has been edited by Ron G (edited June 21, 2001).]
Bill B.

The Feared One

Post by Bill B. »

Allen I really don't know what part of Alb they live in. I just have their mailing address. I have never been there.
Bill
Allen M.

The Feared One

Post by Allen M. »

Hi Ron.

I always thought the plague was wiped-out worldwide until I moved to the Southwest. Most people back east here think it went away after Europe was ravaged with it and Iwas a little shocked the first time I read about it thinking there was going to be another epidemic.

It is pretty closely watched, and people usu get to the hospital right away.

Bill,

if I remember correctly, the places that was most problematic was at the base of the Sandias where there is actually a little green in crevaces, and on the snowy side of the montain. The rest of Albuquerque surrounded by sagebrush and high desert, right down to the Rio.

If you email me their address, Bill, I can probably pin-point where they live.

------------------
Bill B.

The Feared One

Post by Bill B. »

Will get off their add. to you Allen, and while I'm here, my good news is, I spent the day in Boston today. All test so far are good, it looks like I am still in remission. Go back in 6 weeks and get some more serious test. For now, I'll grab onto the good stuff and worry about the other, six weeks from now.
Bill
wayne m.

The Feared One

Post by wayne m. »

Well.... I just checked in after being away for a while and find my home town being discussed. Don't worry about the spelling. Most of us who live here abbreviate it too....Sort of like to old joke "I'd be a Prestyberian if I could just spell it!". Of course, if spelling Albuquerque is too hard, you could move to the next town....Bernalillo.
Oh, as far as things you can catch go, yes plague is always a concern, but we have hanta virus too! Lucky us......
Wayne
Allen M.

The Feared One

Post by Allen M. »

"Most of us who live here agrivate it too"

I agree!

Bernaleeo is even harder to pronounce. Image

------------------
Ron G

The Feared One

Post by Ron G »

I see my post about my spinal cord improvement is gone, I can not believe that no one other than Bill or Allen responded. I would think many saw it but they probably think I am crazy, there seems to be on going improvement after almost three years.
They just tested 8 squirrels (non human kind) in our local mountains for plague, 3 of them were infected. We have all kinds on warnings about coming close to their fleas. I was up there today, seeing them run around is kind of scary. The ones tested were about 10 miles from my place. I wonder if a mosquito bit one and was not finished, if he could spread it. No matter what they say I still believe you can get HIV from a mosquito, especially those who SLAP them as it can act as a hypodermic by pumping someone else's blood into you.

[This message has been edited by Ron G (edited July 08, 2001).]
Allen M.

The Feared One

Post by Allen M. »

Hello Ron.

Several months ago this website was the object of a hack attack in which many posts were destroyed.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
I can not believe that no one other than Bill or Allen responded.
Either us two [plus yourself] are the only ones who have had path-of-life altering/shortening injuries/diseases, or are the only ones willing to share information of such.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
can get HIV from a mosquito, especially those who SLAP them as it can act as a hypodermic by pumping someone else's blood into you.
The last time I thought of that was when I lived in Chicagoland, and on a Fourth of July in which it had rained earlier and then near dusk the air was so muggy you had to force yourself to breathe. The mosquitoes were out in swarms that particular evening, and I wondered, as I looked through the crowds, what type of blood infections these mosquitoes could be carrying.

For the mostpart, AIDS remains with several demographic groups and it's epidemic spread into the "normal" population is like the tide licking at the beach. Is a tsunami inevitable?

I notice over the past ten or more years that dentists are wearing latex gloves, and even some food handlers are too. Maybe the day will come when one has to jump into a body condom when groups of people synchronously gather at the same place as swarms of mosquitoes.

------------------
Ron G

The Feared One

Post by Ron G »

Hey Allen, You are right we just got another warning on the Junta (spell?) virus (from dried mice droppings or urine) as it was found in our county, along with rabid bats that attack at least 8 domestic pets, then add the mosquitoes and a guy is afraid to come out of his mountain trailer.
OH, for the nice clean, mountain air. What are we doing to this world? I guess the things we have survived have shown we can do it, but it still makes us sad to see what is happening to the Earth.
Allen M.

The Feared One

Post by Allen M. »

<a href="http://cgi.sacbee.com/news/calreport/ca ... l">Another case of the Plague, at Tahoe: </a>

------------------

Return to “Special Needs”