Knees and Wooden Floors

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

LeeDarrow

Knees and Wooden Floors

Post by LeeDarrow »

Well, after almost 30 years of being out of the MA on any kind of formal basis, I have stuck my foot back in the water and started an Iai-do class at the Japanese Cultural Center in Chicago.

In the first half-hour, I learned something.

Hardwood floors and my knees do NOT get along like they used to. Half-way through the class (we did 10 of the 20 kata in the style - ALL 10 of which are done from the kneeling position), Sensei looked at me and said, "Stand up. You're hurting too loud." I hadn't made a sound, verbally.

He recommended knee pads for my next class and, when the Ikkyu next to me confided that he is a Zen priest who teaches Za-Zen meditation showed me that HE was wearing pads, my embarrassment faded - somewhat.

My question? Any recommendations for the type of pads that I should use?

Like I said, I've been away for a bit and am a little out of touch with the technology.

Respectfully (and with a little embarrassment left over),

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
billb366

Knees and Wooden Floors

Post by billb366 »

Hi Lee,
Nice to hear from you. Myself, I have no suggestions, only that with age I have found myself using knee pads while working in the house, projects that require working while kneeling. My suggestion would be to talk to your classmates and find out what they are using and go from there. That to me would be your best source. If any one else has a better suggestion, hopefully they will respond for you here. Good luck,,both with the pads and your training.
Bill
gmattson
Site Admin

Knees and Wooden Floors

Post by gmattson »

Why not use the knee pads gardners use? Inexpensive and practical. Plus, they are available in most discount stores.

------------------
GEM
LeeDarrow

Knees and Wooden Floors

Post by LeeDarrow »

Mattson-Shihan,

Thank you and Bill, too for your kind and rapid replies. I will look into them this week.

Respectfully,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gmattson:
Why not use the knee pads gardners use? Inexpensive and practical. Plus, they are available in most discount stores.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Allen M.

Knees and Wooden Floors

Post by Allen M. »

Hello Lee.

Many years of attending Sunday mass have toughened my knees for hard-floor kneeling rendering pads unnecessary;

Hope this helps. Image

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
student

Knees and Wooden Floors

Post by student »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Allen M.:

Many years of attending Sunday mass have toughened my knees for hard-floor kneeling rendering pads unnecessary.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hooboy, Allen;

Have you got the wrong vampire here...

Suffice it that Lee is not a Roman Catholic.

student
dominiuno

Knees and Wooden Floors

Post by dominiuno »

Hello,
Lee, might I ask what style of Iaido you do?
My Iaido Sensei and I both find that gardening knee pads usually do the trick, I definitely agree with Mattson Sensei.
Seiza/Za Zen can be pretty painful at first as I'm sure you discovered. Just wait till you get to Tate hiza, Now that is uncomfortable! Image
Best of luck in Iaido.

David
Allen M.

Knees and Wooden Floors

Post by Allen M. »

<center> Image Well, student, at least I wasn't preaching to the choir. Image </center>

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
student

Knees and Wooden Floors

Post by student »

Ooooh!

I like the angels!

student

Return to “Special Needs”