Shoulder impingement

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

Troll Under the Bridge

Shoulder impingement

Post by Troll Under the Bridge »

Does anyone have tips on working through bursitus/ or shoulder impingement? Rest does not seem to improve the condition. Are there ways to reduce pain, regain flexibility and strength?
candan

Shoulder impingement

Post by candan »

I suggest a good physiotherapist, after 25 years of production line work and many sports injuries (kick boxing, boxing , karate and crashing trees with bike Image ) I budget so much $$ per month for their expert advice/treatment as I do for my vehicule as well (were both aging). Avoid further damage and frustration by visiting one.

Hope to find you well soon

[This message has been edited by candan (edited March 03, 2002).]
tunetigress

Shoulder impingement

Post by tunetigress »

I agree with Candan's advice to you Troll. I have been using an RMT for regular massage therapy for a long time now, and it really helps. You definitely should consider some ongoing professional treatment, and a Physiotherapist will have extensive experience in bursitis conditions. In the meantime, try not to exacerbate your condition by simply pushing through the pain in training ( oh like I'm one to talk about that!) but recognise that your body is sending you a message! Respectfully, _(_)_ Tunetigress
LeeDarrow

Shoulder impingement

Post by LeeDarrow »

Troll,

There is a new therapy out called "trigger point injection treatments" which is AMA approved.

It consists of injecting an herbal solution into the trigger point of the offending muscles to relieve the discomfort.

I had a series last week and was amazed at how well it worked. Took out a 3 Tylenol-3 migrane out in a matter of a few minutes!

This is NOT a placebo effect - my wife, who has fibromyalgia, has been getting treated in this manner for several months and the results are nothing short of spectacular.

Look into it. Here's a URL to check:
http://www.jointrehab.com

And no, Dr. Darrow is NOT a relative to the best of my knowledge.

Sincerely,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
Troll Under the Bridge

Shoulder impingement

Thank you for the responses.
I admit, out of frustration, I have just continued to train as the rest didn't seem to help. I did have the cortizone injection, but later found out those are not such a good idea long term. I am off the explore the jointrehab site now.
Troll Under the Bridge

Shoulder impingement

Mr. Darrow,
I spoke with the nurse at my doctor's office. They have started doing the trigger point injections, but she said they are doing it with a "dry needle". Have you heard of this?
JohnC

Shoulder impingement

Post by JohnC »

The shoulder-rotator cuff assemblege is a fairly complex and delicate mechanism that can develop a variety of complaints with age and sports activities. Bursitis and impingement suggest the assemblege is complaining about both!

Rest can help so long as you do gentle rotations and light exercise to keep the joint "oiled" and moving.

Orthopedists have a limited range of options short of surgery to debride the gunk collected from poor alignment or shave some of the humerous to give a smoother glide and fit. They can give you injections of one kind or another - steroids(cortisone) and painkillers - to try and get your pain down to ground zero. Then build you back up through specific physical therapy - active and passive, plus massage.

Adjusting your routine after a period of rest may help. Before using the shoulder, try and limber it up. Or do limbering exercises throughout the day to keep it loose.

Anti-inflammatories could help, as could cold/heat or combo, whichever helps. Not sure, but you might try the glucosmine products - they work on knees, not sure about shoulders and take several months to see real results.

JohnC
JohnC

Shoulder impingement

Post by JohnC »

The shoulder-rotator cuff assemblege is a fairly complex and delicate mechanism that can develop a variety of complaints with age and sports activities. Bursitis and impingement suggest the assemblege is complaining about both!

Rest can help so long as you do gentle rotations and light exercise to keep the joint "oiled" and moving.

Orthopedists have a limited range of options short of surgery to debride the gunk collected from poor alignment or shave some of the humerous to give a smoother glide and fit. They can give you injections of one kind or another - steroids(cortisone) and painkillers - to try and get your pain down to ground zero. Then build you back up through specific physical therapy - active and passive, plus massage.

Adjusting your routine after a period of rest may help. Before using the shoulder, try and limber it up. Or do limbering exercises throughout the day to keep it loose.

Anti-inflammatories could help, as could cold/heat or combo, whichever helps. Not sure, but you might try the glucosmine products - they work on knees, not sure about shoulders and take several months to see real results.

JohnC
Troll Under the Bridge

Shoulder impingement

Thank you JohnC
Ronin1966

Re: Shoulder impingement

Post by Ronin1966 »

Good Morning John,

How do you tell the difference between say some form of really, obscenely tight muscles and so forth and say the condition called "Frozen Shoulder"?

(I take it you are involved inthe medical field in some manner ?)
Sincerely,

Jeff
~Self-Defense~: Learning how to get out of one's own way! Kara-te: Learning how to smile in the face of all things...

Return to “Special Needs”