My Knife Defence Book is ready for sale

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Re: My Knife Defence Book is ready for sale

Postby Van Canna » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:36 pm

Josann
Van, why do you hint that uechi has gotten away from being a self defense system and more of an art form? I have the feeling that the "do" has gotten more important that the jutsu aspect of the style. I have been able to train with some of the best uechi teachers in the world being from Massachusetts, and have rarely had any teach true self defense.

I'm with you Joe on this, and it is no disrespect to the system or to any teacher of it out there...it is simply a fact: it was not until we began to study or be exposed to the realities of modern violence through the work and teachings of Rory Miller and many others like him, like the great Mark McYoung, that some of us [not all] started grasping the complex dynamics of self protection...

Uechi or any other traditional style is, as you indicate, a great basic system... but needs specialized tactical input in a myriad of ways, including/cross training/ criminal/financial/emotional survival/ in order to become more effective in self protection.

Here is a great article on the do v the jutsu

https://www.iainabernethy.co.uk/article/jutsu-vs-do
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:45 pm

Realistic training (Jutsu) will force all your weaknesses to the surface. A good Sensei will then help you to overcome those weaknesses, such that you not only become a better fighter, but also a better human being (Do). 'Jutsu' is the foundation upon which 'Do' is built!

To simply concern yourself with fighting, and nothing else, will prevent you from progressing to the higher levels of training.

To ignore 'jutsu' and attempt to progress to 'Do' is a futile endeavour as you have no foundation upon which to build.

How can you progress beyond the combative aspects of training when you have never faced them?

It is my belief that true karate is learning the 'Jutsu' to such a level that it progresses to become 'Do'.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:50 pm

You could argue why continue onto 'Do,' if all you want are effective fighting skills? Obviously that is a decision for you to make.

However, when I look at what I have learnt throughout my years in karate, is it the knowledge of kicks, punches, locks, chokes etc. that is the most valuable to me?

Or is it the friends I have made? The confidence that I have acquired? Or the greater degree of control I have over potentially destructive emotions like envy, anger and fear?

I'd have to say that the effects that karate has had on my character are of greater value to me than its fighting techniques.

True to a certain extent...because we all know that in many cases, including past examples here on this forum, the effect karate has had upon certain individuals has been the contrary of what we read above.

It is the human condition that is hard to manage.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:52 pm

You'd be wise to avoid the 'Jutsu' / 'Do' debate and the attempts at classification it encourages. True karate should be both 'Jutsu' and 'Do'.

We should certainly practice and apply the art practically, and in its entirety, such that we possess the skills needed to defend ourselves in real situations (Jutsu).

We should also ensure that we endeavour to learn more about our strengths and weaknesses via the nature of such training.

We can then use that knowledge to develop ourselves as individuals, to better equip ourselves to help others, and to help us pursue our dreams and lead the lives we want to live (Do).
Van
Van Canna

Postby Rick Wilson » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:42 pm

Josann:

Thanks for buying the book, Joe.

I'd love any feedback you care to give.

You can PM me here or email wpd-rc@hotmail.com if you choose to. :)
Rick Wilson - http://wpd-rc.com/
Rick Wilson

Postby Rick Wilson » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:59 am

Very pleased today.

I expected sales in Canada and USA but officially now the book has sold internationally with sales in the UK and Europe.

:D
Rick Wilson

Postby Van Canna » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:56 pm

I'm glad...the book is really great in more ways than just 'the knife' as the defensive concepts outlined are applicable against any type of attack once ingrained solidly...

Still, the student must address the 'shock' to his system once he realizes he is going to be dealing with a blade...not a very forgiving tool...
Van
Van Canna

Postby Rick Wilson » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:39 pm

Thanks, Van.

I believe those who get the book will see how it applies to many areas of self defence.

At the Peace Officer's convention I ended with them looking at applying it to other areas and one female officer had been previously grabbed in basically the classic lapel grab and thrown around. She managed to survive but it was a fight that could have gone very badly so that is the attack she asked her partner to use. She absorbed the attack and applied the clamp and rotated fully to the side and then dropped her mass on the bone slaved arms and the Aggressor hit the ground fast and hard. Needless to say she put the Clamp into her A-Toolbox.

Shock of an attack is something that will be faced. The drill in the book I use is the Operant Conditioning one where you begin with your eyes closed and open them when the assault starts either when the Aggressor indexes (grabs or touches you) or they say begin. I've have adapted this drill for many years now after seeing it in a Tony Blauer seminar. Most I show it to don't see the value. Eyes closed slow motion - hmmm. The truth is it introduces that shock moment of an attack and works on conditioning a tactical habit response that happens immediately.

We want this operantly conditioned tactical habit because - habit can happen before the freeze.

Habits form so much of our lives we don't even notice and that is because they operate from deep in the brain - you see the cue and the habit kicks in and THEN you become aware of what is happening.

Because of this if you do the work to condition the response it can happen before a freeze can kick in from the shock - the freeze may still happen after you've responded so you have to be prepared to recognize and break it. Recognizing a freeze is the tough part. The best advice I have seen to break the freeze comes from Rory Miller and Moshe Feldenkrais. You must do one thing then another. It can be anything - raise your hands or take a step. This is why paramedics have a routine to check this then that - do one thing now do this.

At the end of the deadly assassination attacks the book goes into things to condition when suddenly assaulted and as much as the principles and the foundation are important these clues to respond from and how are vital.

Sorry for rambling on but this is a topic I am so very interested in. :)
Rick Wilson

Postby Van Canna » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:54 pm

Because of this if you do the work to condition the response it can happen before a freeze can kick in from the shock - the freeze may still happen after you've responded so you have to be prepared to recognize and break it. Recognizing a freeze is the tough part. The best advice I have seen to break the freeze comes from Rory Miller and Moshe Feldenkrais. You must do one thing then another. It can be anything - raise your hands or take a step. This is why paramedics have a routine to check this then that - do one thing now do this.

Thanks Rick. This is so very important...so very critical...and it should help understand why sometimes the great techniques we have learned have just taken the last bus out of town when your system is shocked by an attack...

And still there are people that because of whatever style they are into today...don't quite believe the shock will affect them...because of their superior style/learning/tournament fighting/previous street fight/etc.

Just like the BB champion who had his throat cut by the gangbanger...
Van
Van Canna

Postby Rick Wilson » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:45 pm

Rick Wilson

Postby Rick Wilson » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:39 pm

In two weeks I will be in London, Ontario teaching a two-day knife defence seminar. I had a fantastic time with the wonderful people of London last year and expect another great time this year.

I am ecstatic to get two days to cover everything in my book “Watch Out For The Pointy End.” When I taught the Alberta Peace Officers at their 2017 conference earlier this year I had one day. One day was enough time to present the material but with two days we can take the time to make sure everyone has it and learns how to train and condition the required responses.

Of course, with the book now out they will have a complete reference for everything covered in the seminar – no need to even take notes.

Rick Wilson

Postby Van Canna » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:53 pm

Great stuff, Rick, should be a great seminar.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Rick Wilson » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:55 pm

Two things for those who have bought the book: If you have any question remember you can message me here and I will help in any way I can, and I would greatly appreciate if you would be willing to post a review on Amazon.com and Amazon.ca. Reviews help and certainly they can help people make up their minds about whether to buy or not. Thanks.
Rick Wilson

Postby Rick Wilson » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:34 pm

This time next week I will be teaching my knife defence system in London, Ontario. I will have two days to cover the material in my book, “Watch Out For The Pointy End.”

I am looking forward to working them through the material in a proper pace.

The first day will be all about introducing the realities of a knife assault, the thinking that should be done ahead of time to be prepared and laying the ground work for them to have the skills and understanding of the principles to make this simple approach work.

The first day will remain in what I call the Learning Zone and only introduce how to move to the Conditioning zone.

The second day we will cover all the remaining material in the book including situations where you are caught by surprise and the knife is used as intimidation as well as using improvised weapons.

The main part of the second day will be working the Conditioning Zone and teaching how to build the needed response into a tactical habit. There are certain factors that simplify your choices in this deadly encounter. If all goes well by the end of the day they can slip a little into the testing zone to see where they need to go as they continue to work the material later.

By the end of the two days they will have everything they need to continue training and preparing for a knife assault. At that point it will be up the them to put in the time and work to build what is needed but the London people are super people so I know they will. And not to mention they have a complete reference because the book covers the entire program.

Rick Wilson

Postby Van Canna » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:19 pm

Simply great stuff, Rick.
Van
Van Canna

PreviousNext

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities