Good talk on blocks

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Re: Good talk on blocks

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:22 am

Mas Ayoob of Lethal force Institute, talks about the “ inner face saving” of the man armed with a handgun who “ passes “ on a confrontation because he realizes the gravity of what he may be called upon to do!

At times the avoiding of a confrontation is a challenge that may well command more of “the right stuff” than simply taking reflexive outraged response action!

Here you need a strong “ mental crutch” i.e., The punk isn’t worth the aggravation, the spoiled evening, your wife/friend’s distress, the putting up with the cops asking all kinds of aggravating questions and trying to find a way to charge you with something_

your lawyer charging you thousands of dollars to defend you, the financial exposure from a law suit, a serious injury you or your companion may suffer even if you win the fight, and even the potential critical blaming of your response action by your own wife/girlfriend/friends --well after the fact, playing Monday morning quarterback!
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:26 am

if i may add my 2cents....my most recent experience with the chemical cocktail (this is in the "it will never happen to me" category)...i'm driving into manhattan, a four lane merge into two lanes..car comes up from behind to cut in front of my car...i jam the brakes and tap his bumper...we both stop, i get out to survey any damage...no damge to either car I start to reurn to my car.

the other driver jumps out of his car cursing up a storm...i stop in my tracks...i'm in the 40's...not in shape,got my wife and kids in the car..my nephew and niece in a second car..i'm thinking its not worth it, but give no visible reaction..

he's in his 20's both his hands are open and gesturing, no weapons...older woman in the passenger side no one in the back seat..old car new jersey plates.no one else coming out of their car...then he makes an ethnic remark...

that hits my button..i'm gonna take him down once he clears his rear fender..kick to shin step down to instep/elbow attack/take him down...

i see the moves in my mind over and over again...we are in the middle of traffic but i only see him and his car...

then a voice yells: you cut him off...get back in the car you a*****e..(i love new yorkers)...he backs off and gets in his car....i get back in my car...

i'm shaking..my mind is racing through the attack again over and over...takes a full day for this to get through my system...

i am generally a very calm person but the verbal assault triggered the adrenaline response...looking back i am concerned that in spite of my years of training, i could not control my reaction to the non physical threat...

chi2
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:28 am

Sensei Canna

We here at the Beverly Dojo just wanted to thank you again for taking the time to visit us Monday night. It was very interesting, very sweaty and opened more than a few eyes. Maybe in a few months time you can come back and we will show you how we make the floor shake and the pictures rattle on the walls with our new found explosive power.

Thank you again Sir.
Yours in Budo,
Beverly Uechi Karate
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:29 am

I hope this is the correct arena to extend my appreciation to Sensei Van Canna for working with us at The Beverly Uechi school.

His instruction was easy to follow and enjoyable. I felt additional strength from minor adjustments in understanding how to use my
power more effectively.

I test this Thursday at Sensei Rosmick's dojo in Pepperill, NH. I'm confident from this evening with Sensei
Canna that my San Chin will demonstrate the beginnings of a new level of strength.

Once again thank you and Namaste.

Virginia Jones
Yondan Candidate
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:07 pm

Survival is a simple cold fact. You either want to survive, believe you have the right to survive, or, in a life or death situation, you will likely die
[Mike Dalton…life without fear]

Combat masters emphasize that in order to overcome psychological numbness, we have to train against a natural instinct to run away from something terrible about to happen!

I recall reading the story of a woman who barely survived a grizzly bear mauling: As she was attacked, she turned away in denial and her brain brought wonderful visions of her past life, beautiful fields of flowers, her children calling her name!

A case I investigated involved a man up on a tree held by a harness cutting branches with a buzz saw. The harness broke, and as he fell his brain shut down rendering him unconscious within the first few instants of the fall down 35 feet below! Luckily he survived in spite of bad fractures!

And then there is the ever-present doubt! Do you really think you have the necessary stopping power to handle one or more adrenalized enraged, industrial size, mean, massive opponent?

Do you think you are really prepared for survival street fighting?

Think about it; in most practice sessions or tournaments, you will never hit anyone for real, except by accident!

And the tough guys who start fights may well be inured to pain especially under the chemical dump!

Think about why in the seventies when there were exhibitions of karate masters vs. boxers, the boxers always won because they had so much experience with pain!
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:08 pm

Good post, Van sensei.

Here's an indication of resolve. In drills and sparring with contact, look and see what's coming at you, even if you know you are about to get bopped. That's practicing a bit of "resolve" and acceptance of pain.

I have worked with people who close their eyes or turn away when they think or know they are on the verge of getting hit.

More than any physical technique, I think the mental attitude needs to be worked on.

My comment to them -- "Look away and I'll hit you harder and hit you more! So look at me and think about hitting back."

david
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:15 pm

Funny you should mention the bodybuilders at the gym with their size and their strength, leaving the question "could i handle them if a had to ?" Just a few days ago i was at the gym where there was a group of very powerfull guys finishing up their workout. Exceptionally big and "solid" like rocks. Say each over 6 ft minimun of 220 to 260 lb. ranges.

I also know that they study martial arts. The thoughts went through my mind as i wondered, "what would work?" We say the throat, the eyes, pressure points, leg break ? Could you penetrate the mass of these individuals with effectiveness? I certainly hope that "I" don't ever find out.

Speaking of "Fear". I find that when things happen instictively, the hands come up without thought. Such as coming around a corner as a person is all of a sudden in your face. My hands just rise ready to block or strike. No thought. However, when confronted with some distance and time, "fear" has a moment to generate causing "fight or flight" response.

That's were i see the problem arise. Some say hit first, hit hard, hit last. Ok. But at what point in confrontation do we deside to hit first ? When we think they might attack ? Or when the fear in us is overpowering mixed with adrenaline and/or other chemical changes? Do we not put ourselves in a potential situation for consequences ?

I know of one individual who did that and it cost him $11,000. in the end. Punched his teeth in.

On the other hand, if we wait for the attack, fear can have a paralizing effect on us slowing down the responce time to the attack. The consequences on that end can be severe also.

Some of us may never know just how "prepared" we really are until it happends. I would hope that as we continue to study into years with depth and intensity in our practice, that we become more prepared than those who otherwise don't.

Of course we all know that there are many whom study a "martial art" or system for other reasons. Obviously without the intensity of realistic practice with the development of "power" in our trainning, one cannot really exspect to do much in the way of "defending" when neded.

Sensei Canna, great questions and points made here. I often wonder these same questions. Although, i don't think i'll get the answers.

Respectfully,

------------------
Gary S.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:21 pm

There is another element of this post which is of great interest to me and that is the notion that we all know that he who hits first probably wins, but how many of us teach our students accordingly?

How do you deal with this? Do you agree with this notion? Do you teach it from the get-go in your schools? Do you perhaps teach this only to select students based on some criteria such as length of time studying, your perception of their character, or whatever? What are your critera?

Have you been burned? Gary did your acquaintance have 11,000 debts because of litigation when he punched someones teeth in or in dental surgury bills for his own teeth because he hesitated?

------------------
Good training,
David
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:09 pm

My friend aquired the $11,000. debt as a consequence of damaging the other guy. His regret is that of the consequence (finacially) as he still feels that the guy got what he deserved (physically). He knows now that he should of walked away.

I do believe that being "prepared" is most important. Surely responding to an attack, speed should beat out the otherwise telegraphed intent of the opponent. Most people will show some physical movement prior to "hitting".

Would you agree ? I think that practicing "fast release" (response) drills can help one increase their response time to an attack.

Hitting first due to fear of an opponent (adrenaline rush) or the thought that one "might" attack, is questionable. (in my opinion) Hitting first, hard and last when one begins an agressive physical motion is most justified.

My question is, at what point do we determine one is say "to close" with verbal flapping vs. being a physical threat ? I don't believe that there is an answer to that for each case is a variation of threat in itself.

Gary S
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:11 pm

My friend who teaches CQB Defendu summarizes the "how much aggression is aggression" question as follows: maintain distance, confront the guy, ie, "WHAT DO YOU WANT." Two of four possible responses will save him:

1) he gives you a plausible response (not a diversion or deception)

2) he leaves. If he does anything other than that--he goes. The latter two unacceptable responses are to not leave/not answer or to show any sign of aggression. Now admittedly this is extreme, but on the other hand it has saved people's bacon.

------------------
Good training,
David Elkins
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:17 pm

Indeed a vexing problem with no easy answers. Everyone is different and his training will make him respond in accordance with the “baggage” he originally brought with him to the dojo!

Every one of us brings a unique collection of “baggage” pieces to the dojo’s doorstep!

Lots of people will come to your dojo in the wake of some violent act in their past! Most will not talk about it! But they are there because there some sort of fear or 'concern' and there is nothing wrong with that...he/she may also be in some sort of 'situation' at home or on the job etc., that made her cross your dojo's threshold and she may not want to talk about it.

Victims of violence develop a feeling of intentional targeting by evil –doers and their confidence in people and the general safety of the interpersonal world is shattered!

And so they develop a hair trigger response to anything that flashes memories of the original event[s] along with resulting hyper vigilance! [ Goleman ]

In spite of what everyone fantasizes about their martial arts “prowess” developed over the years, i.e., Okinawa training, the true sensei, tournament victories, arm/leg conditioning etc., the inescapable truth is that whether they know it or not, the typical response , when facing up to “pure evil intent”, is a tightening of the chest , heavy legs, a racing mind etc. [ Quinn]

This happens in an instant and most people do not realize it until much later, yet they are very much affected by it!

Quinn writes that even if the situation is resolved without a fight, the tight chest, shortness of breath and anxiety can last for days afterwards in the average person, trained or untrained! Yes there are exceptions, but we should not be concerned with exceptions here!

Students of “self defense” not Karate [and there is a difference much to most practitioners’ chagrin] should develop an adaptive response under duress for dealing with grim realities!

“ It is adaptive to be highly vigilant, aroused, ready for anything, impervious to pain, the body primed for sustained action, and –for the moment- indifferent to what might otherwise be intensely disturbing events” [Goleman]
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:20 pm

Good Morning Van, I skimmed Quinn's book and #1 & 3 are the two thoughts I came away with:

1. Street Fighters learn by doing! (kinda reminds me of my visits to your dojo in Walpole).

3. The attacker knows there will be a fight. I had a friend get mugged near the North End in the parking lot under the expressway. He was very drunk and staggered to his car, fumbled with the keys, got in, didn't close the door and couldn't put the key in the ignition.

The muggers must have thought they hit the lottery. They pulled him out and took his money leaving him on the ground. They got about 5 feet away and said "Hey maybe he can identify us, let's fix that!"

They then came back and tried to pull his eyes out with their thumbs (bread and butter technique for bad guys).

Miraculously this turned the prey on. He pasted one guy in the face and tried to stomp him while wrestling the partner, putting them on the run.

This was recounted by a witness who had called the police at the start of the mugging. Very lucky!

Mike Hurney
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:23 pm

Young couple asleep in bed, guy busts into their apartment with a shot-gun and other assorted hand guns.

He has just killed three people, his wife, her boyfriend, and an innocent bystander, cops surround the place.

This guy has nothing to lose, how do you keep him from taking you down with him.

We spend alot of time talking about de-escalating the situation, so how do you swallow the fear and re-main calm long enough to come out alive.

Van Canna spends alot of time describing the "chemical cocktail" and how it impacts the body and mind.

Now on top of that, "flight vs fight" is not an option. You can't take him down and you have no where to go. I'll wait to tell you how they got out...

------------------
Shelly
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:26 pm

American Combatives cqc opens every dance with a pre-emptive strike that if it hits like it should, will injure the target beyond any form of retaliation.

They don't care to debate legality or morality, they just practice the tools necessary for ultimate self defence,

NOW! If someone is harrassing you, intimidating you or being aggressive and he gets close enough to you to hit you, you must hit him first or you may lose your chance, your life and your family's lives.

When is it ok to escalate to serious violence in self defense? How about when a man has picked you up in a bear hug?

Should you take out his eyes or double ear smash him or is it still not life and death enough for you?

One guy to be picked up like that was thrown through a plate glass window and died from the cuts he received.

So you take his eyes after he picks you up, are you not still going through the window or into traffic? You must do what you have to do before he has power over you.

I guess by now you all can tell this is a favorite bugle call to arms for me, I'll be quiet for awhile.

------------------
Ted T.
The Fighting Old Man
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:34 pm

Unintended Consequences

David, "... he asked gently." Yah, it sounds like it.

Seems like a good book, I'm looking for it.

Actually from that passage it sounds like it's a combination of two authors: Van "Say goodnight it's all over!" Canna and Roy "Perry Mason" Bedard.

Mike Hurney
Van
Van Canna

PreviousNext

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities