Good talk on blocks

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Re: Good talk on blocks

Postby Van Canna » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:13 pm

Tower sniper

An order was given to secure the exits and shut off the elevators. It was not yet clear how many shooters there were, but from the number of calls that were coming in to both the Austin Police and the University Police, it seemed there must be an army atop the Tower.

Charlie was still moving about the observation deck unhindered, and turned his attention westward, toward Guadalupe Street. Known as the Drag, the busy street was lined with businesses and formed the western boundary of the UT campus.

Initially, people on Guadalupe Street thought the echoing gunshots were part of a college prank. Then Alex Hernandez, a newsboy on a bicycle, fell wounded. Seventeen-year-old Karen Griffin fell next, and would die a week later.

Thomas Karr, who had probably turned to render aid to Griffin, was then shot in the back. He died an hour later. Those inside Guadalupe Street businesses huddled together away from windows.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:14 pm

Tower sniper

Austin Police were arriving on campus and trying to make their way to the Tower.
Officers Jerry Culp and Billy Speed were huddled, with others, under a statue south of the Tower, trying to figure their next move.

Charlie shot Billy Speed through a six-inch space between two balusters, which were part of a rail that surrounded the statue. Though Speed’s wound looked superficial to those around him, it was in fact grave. He was dying.

Back on the Drag, the carnage continued. Harry Walchuk, a thirty-eight-year-old doctoral student and father of six was exiting a newsstand when a bullet entered his chest. He died at the scene.
Nearby, high-school students Paul Sonntag, Claudia Rutt and Carla Sue Wheeler dove for cover behind a construction barricade.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:16 pm

Tower sniper
As Paul peered out from behind the barricade to see what was happening, Charlie shot him through his open mouth. He was killed instantly. Another shot hit Claudia Rutt, who died later at Brackenridge Hospital.

By now word of what was happening had spread, and police began returning fire toward the Tower, trying to pick off Charlie as he rose up over the parapet to take aim.

Citizens went home and got their own guns, and hundreds of shots chipped away at the Tower in the next hour. Charlie began shooting through the rainspouts on each side of the building, making himself virtually impossible to hit.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:17 pm

Tower sniper

He switched guns from time to time. The greater part of his killing had been done in his first twenty minutes on the observation deck, but he was not finished.

Over 500 yards to the South, city electricians Solon McCown and Roy Dell Schmidt parked their truck and joined a group of reporters and spectators.

They huddled behind cars for safety. Schmidt, probably thinking that they were out of range, stood up. He was hit in the abdomen, and was dead ten minutes later.

As more victims fell, police officers made their various ways to the Tower. Austin Police Officers Jerry Day, Houston McCoy, and Ramiro Martinez, Department of Public Safety Officer W.A. Cowan, civilian Allen Crum and others converged on the 27th floor.

They cleared the floor and brought down Mary and Mike Gabour, who had lain critically wounded in a deep pool of blood for over an hour. Martinez and Crum moved carefully up the steps and into the reception area. McCoy and Day soon followed.

There was no definite plan of action; each man had to improvise as the situation developed. From inside the reception area, they could cover windows on the south, southwest, and west sides of the Tower.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:20 pm

Tower sniper

Martinez tried the door to the observation deck, but found it had been wedged shut. He kicked the door until the dolly fell away, freeing the door. The men waited and watched the windows.

Ramirez emerged onto the deck, and began crawling toward the northwest corner, where the shots seemed to be coming from. McCoy followed, while Crum and Day guarded the door.

As Charlie tried to change position, Crum misfired his gun, sending him back to the northwest corner. There he sat with his back against the north wall, aiming his carbine toward the south, from whence Crum’s shot had come.

Martinez and McCoy continued their slow crawl, friendly fire from the ground zinging around them.

When Martinez reached the northeast corner, he rounded it and began firing his .38. Charlie tried to return fire but could not bring his weapon around in time.

McCoy fired his shotgun twice at Charlie’s head, knocking him to the floor. Martinez then grabbed McCoy’s gun and ran toward Charlie’s twitching body, firing into it point blank. At 1:24 p.m. Charlie was dead.

Later, at Whitman's request in a letter in his duffel bag, an autopsy was performed.

They found a tumor the size of a golf-ball putting pressure on the aggression center of his brain.

Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:22 pm

Roadking »

Yes I remember this event. I was in grade school at the time.

In regardes to the Maryland shootings, this happened in a state with one of the most restrictive sets of gun laws in the country.

Even more restrictive than Massachusetts. Ballistic fingerprinting did not help this case.

It appears that vigilant citizens, and old fashioned police work was most effective.

Roadking
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:38 pm

The Neurological Roots of Aggression

Good information for personal defense.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/4090 ... ggression/

Everyone has probably witnessed at least one of the following: the guy at the bar who picks a fight at the slightest provocation, or the driver who explodes with rage at a tailgater.

New research is beginning to more precisely locate the abnormalities in the brain that underlie this kind of violence and aggression.

The findings could be used to help clinicians diagnose children and adolescents with behavioral problems, and to help clinicians tailor treatments to prevent the cycle of violence from starting.

But the findings also raise thorny ethical issues: the ability to read the risk of violence in the brain could be used to stigmatize or even condemn youths before they’ve committed a crime.
Alternatively, the findings could be used to make a case that criminals should not be held responsible for their behavior.

Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:42 pm

In a study presented this week at the Society for Neuroscience conference in San Diego, researchers used functional magnetic brain imaging to study brain activity in a small group of adolescent boys deemed “reactively aggressive”–meaning they consistently overreact to perceived threats.

“These kids tend to overreact: they punch someone or kick a door, but afterwards, they regret it,” says Guido Frank, a scientist and physician at the University of California, San Diego, who led the study. “In the moment, they can’t control themselves.”

When shown images of threatening faces, the aggressive boys had, compared with controls, greater activity in the amygdala, part of the brain that has been linked to fear, and lower activity in the prefrontal cortex, part of the brain involved in reasoning and decision making.

The findings seem to provide a neurobiological explanation for their behavior: the affected adolescents feel more fearful when looking at the angry faces, as reflected in the overactive amygdala, but they may have less capacity to control their actions, due to the sluggish prefrontal cortex.

“At the time, they may not be thinking about the consequences,” says Frank.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:47 pm

The findings build on both previous and new research implicating the prefrontal cortex in aggression and violence.

In small studies of murderers and people with antisocial behavior, Raine and his colleagues found that their prefrontal cortices were smaller than those of controls.

A meta-analysis–also presented at the conference–of 47 different brain-imaging studies of adults confirmed those findings:

people with antisocial behavior, particularly those with a history of violent behavior, had both structural and functional impairments in that part of the brain.

The prefrontal cortex was both smaller and less active in this group.

You want to keep those people with antisocial behavior under close watch.

You run into them every day including where you work.

If you must be around such people be sure you are ready for 'tactical protection'...
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:48 pm

It’s not yet clear how these brain abnormalities come about. Previous research has shown that genetics predominately accounts for the size of the prefrontal cortex.

But abuse in infancy and childhood may also contribute. Shaken baby syndrome, for example, seems to primarily affect the orbital prefrontal cortex, one of the brain areas implicated in Raine’s study.

However, previous research in animals and humans suggests that environmental influences can have a strong impact on the ultimate outcome.

Strong maternal, or other support can reduce the risk for violence in susceptible individuals, while stress and abuse can increase it.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:54 pm

Here is a great performance of Kanshu Kata....2012 Argentina world cup.

Great timing and the 'right speed' to ingrain its concepts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK9rgvIA-EE
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:02 am

Rick Wilson »

As I have stated, anyone is free to not “do Uechi-chi as a way to prepare myself for street fights.”

However, to disagree that the fundamental purpose of martial arts is to prepare for self protection is to deny the entire history of martial arts and the entire basis for their creation.

Martial arts were created for one purpose – self protection. It is everything else that is “a nice bonus.”

Awareness is not paranoia. Paranoia deals with being concerned about unrealistic fears. Awareness is simply prudent caution.

Rick
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:06 am

Panther>>

On the original "bar scene" situation... had two incidents like that happen early in the summer of '01...

In one, the guy wanted to pulverize me and darned if I know how, but I ended up realizing the sucker-punch was coming from behind (maybe I caught it in my periphery in the mirror... idunno) and the BG ended up having tai-otoshi executed against his punch, putting him on the floor with bouncers all over him.

He was "handled" by the "staff" and I had no more problems. (Probably because I left post-haste).

In the second one, there were a few drunk guys that decided they wanted to pick on someone and I got tagged "it". I handled that one by saying, "we can hurt each other or we can have a drink together and be friends. I'd like to buy my friends a round. What are you drinking?" It cost me nearly $50 to buy a round for the group, but I view it as money well spent.

Take care...

Panther
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:19 am

The man wrote:

A time to kill

That day the skinhead punk picked the wrong target.

Not a street bum to burn or a lone “nigger” to beat up, with the help of twenty-one punks. Not a communist or an isolated Jew, not a Somali woman.

That day the skinhead punk found me.

And made a big mistake.

I have always hated the pacifists who offer the other cheek, or the purveyors of “legality” when up against blood and guts.

That day you found me _ and I still have in my mouth and in my eyes _ your smell and look of fear and my smell of adrenaline.

Your ear with the swastika in a crazy swing.
Yet there was no wind.

That day you found me, and you got the wrong target.

When with your ridiculous chain, surrounded by your ilk with a gas can, you dared stain my fine European leather jacket.

You laughed when you smashed the chain into my forehead, and when your scum friends started kicking me.

But your smile morphed in a strange sneer when I drew my long barreled Colt Python .357 magnum, and with a calm hand, I shoved it in your mouth.

You froze in stupid astonishment, a split second before the back of your head exploded like a melon, and your useless brain turned to pink spray.

Then with the same calm, as in slow motion dream, it was the turn of your douche bag friends.

First the “little Blondie” in front of me. He had barely turned around to make good his escape, but death was upon him.

My special hand_ loaded bullet behaved in egregious manner, and his chest blew into pieces with the sound similar to a cockroach stepped on with gusto. Poor kid.

The next one, who looked like he was half asleep standing up, was to my right, frozen to stone and obtuse looking.

But not for long.

The .357, exploding from a distance of 6 inches away, literally lifted him off the ground, with his intestine dumping part of its nauseating contents.

Gut shot, but not yet dead, he did not deserve another round.

The obscene figure of another still in front of me with a chain in his hands, was a neat example of a “Dick head” with a ridiculous “crest” in the middle of his empty skull, above a punk, black leather jacket. I could smell his urine and saw he had p*issed down his legs and wanted so bad to run away.

At quick glance, he must have been all of sixteen.

Well...I thought the “turds” need to be taken care of at an early age.
I played cat and mouse with him, enjoying the rising look of terror in his face.

I feigned a revolver malfunction [ Idiot...He didn’t even know that a cylinder weapon never jams]…he felt brave...
He advanced with his little chain spinning.

The shot entered the center of his forehead..WOW..What a shot from four feet.
A neat entrance hole by the bullet from hell.

At the exit, my Python did excellent work.

His disgusting brain “plopped” out practically intact and landed with a squish on the hood of a Mercedes nearby.

Now there were three.

The first I “fulminated” without meshing words, with a low “belly” shot, while another, who was to the front, and had fallen on his “comrade” I made crawl a bit, then, taking good aim...

With a blast to his carotid, I severed his head from his stinking, ugly body.

And now there was one. Down on his knees, begging and crying...but my gun was empty.

The cretin evidently neither knew how to count [six shots, boy, six shots] nor knew pistols.

I calmly then had ample time to reach for my spare ammo, eject the empties, reload and push the cylinder home.

CLICK… at the sound of the cylinder kissing the frame, the skinhead looked up and realized what chance he had missed.

He did not get another as he vanished in a scream of horror.

Picked up the empties from the ground, put them in my pocket, and with calm, while police sirens drew near, I walked away very composed.

Got into my car and went home to rest. But from this point on I am keeping an eye on you.

And...Before giving your next street “beating” look well in the eyes of your next victim.It might be ME.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:24 am

There are many lessons to be learned from this post.

Look deep inside of you.

BTW, this was posted on the Italian site, and got some terrific discussions going.

Not sure we can measure up with the Italians on these matters.

There is a certain depth to their discussions that is absolutely priceless.
Van
Van Canna

PreviousNext

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities