Good talk on blocks

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Re: Good talk on blocks

Postby Van Canna » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:07 am

Panther>>

He also paraded dozens of "character witnesses" for those punks. They all seemed to have morphed into "little angels" overnight. You know, helped out around the house, loved grandma, helped at the local shelter...

But by hiring a PI, my attorney found some of the victims of their previous attacks and since the DA had brought up their past, the judge allowed us to show their prior criminal activities.

I was found not guilty. I asked about the possibility of getting financial restitution for my exorbitant costs in fighting the charges, but was told basically that I had a "snowball's chance in hell" of getting anything since the two survivors were penniless street punks and all of the families were living at either the poverty level or on the public dole.

While I was in jail and even while out on bail awaiting trial, I lost my job. My employer said he couldn't chance the association if I was found guilty... and besides, I wasn't going to be very productive while preparing for a murder trial...

We started getting harassing phone calls at all hours at home... after a brick was thrown through our living room window, my wife took the kids and moved to another State to live with one of her sisters. I had to max out a "home equity" loan on the house to pay my ~$100,000 legal bills... not to mention the money that I needed just to live during the trial.

Panther
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:09 am

Panther>>

Now it's been 10 months since I was found "not guilty." I never got my defense pistol returned... The police say it was destroyed after the trial and to "sue them for it." I don't have any money to fight it. I got a letter from an attorney today.

My wife has filed for divorce because of all the stress. I put the house on the market this afternoon. After I pay off the debts and the real estate commission I might be able to buy a cup of coffee... size small.

The phone calls have never stopped even though I've changed to a different unlisted/unpublished number six times. The vandalism finally stopped when the police picked up a brother of one of my dead attackers... I didn't bother pressing charges because the DA said that he didn't want to prosecute "a poverty-ridden teenager with good grades and everything to live for."

On the bright side, I found a new job... I'm making a little more than 1/2 what I used to make, but it was the only job I could find. My attorney told me that after taxes and paying child-support, I would have about $200 left each week to live on... Funny thing... I was told that this would happen if I ever had to defend myself with a gun, but I just never thought it would happen to me... I never believed that it would actually go down this way...

With my new job I have health insurance again. That's paying for my depression medication (I've finally gone on the wagon... I started drinking to help me sleep after the acquittal... then it turned into drinking to forget... or maybe it was just to drown my sorrows... I don't know anymore)

and for me to see a mental health counsellor...

I still have nightmares about it. G-d... I killed them and they were just teenagers... But I just keep remembering that it was me or them.. and I'm alive... IF you can call this living....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You see... those last paragraphs are the truth of the matter. Actions carry repercussions. Make the decision ahead of time where you stand.

Panther
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:21 pm

Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:26 pm

Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:44 pm

Panther »

Sometimes the self-defense doesn't even have to involve a gun for things to fall apart. In fact, sometimes it doesn't even have to involve a prosecution. Things just fall apart and that's something that people don't realize.

Whether you survive intact or not isn't the relevant part... you are a changed person and many times others around you can't deal with that...

take care and be good to yourselves...

Panther
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:53 pm

There is 'dojo thinking' and then there is 'street nightmare' that only the ones who have survived it can truly understand the 'train wreck' they were in.

Years ago, eleven month old Etienne NaChampassak was brutally murdered by an armed 'car jacker' on the streets of New Orleans. His death prompted the state of Louisiana to pass a controversial new law called "shoot the car jacker". Motorists are encouraged to carry guns in their cars and given immunity to shoot and kill anyone they suspect to be a car jacker.

Think about this for a moment. What’s the message?

No one even bothered to ask if the “gunman” might have had a “personal reason” to go berserk as he did, in addition to self-preservation. This is the revenge component that only Tony picked up.

Right or wrong, revenge can be a powerful force, justified or not. And this 'better sink in' because you may well be up against it one form or another and when you sense it...you and your techniques may well just fall apart.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:56 pm

Panther did a fine job of pointing out the many ways to “die” in the aftermath. Go and count the ways if you can discern them. Bt can you?

Question is which way do you prefer to die?

Is there a way to possibly, truly “survive”?

One comment on the foreign forum was, for a man caught in the hellish nightmare, he should make sure they were all dead, before he disappeared, so no one could tie him to the killings.

Right or wrong, these were the discussions reflective of human nature and extreme survival 'machinery'...

As Panther points out, you must decide ahead of time.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:58 pm

Laird>>

Ian, I usually don't discuss my past experiences with people who haven't been there with me (seen the elephant) or close friends.

There are reasons for that which I won't get into.

Laird
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:00 pm

Comments from the Italian forum:

Most of us, although we may think so, will not have the willpower and the capacity to kill in cold blood, or in defense of our own lives.

And even if someone has that capability, it is a heavy burden to carry for the rest of one’s life, even if he gets away with killing someone in righteous self-defense.

So if you are just held up for money, best not to react at all, give him your money and shut up. It isn’t worth it.

I believe that in some extreme cases a man can be put in a position when it is necessary to kill. However, revenge or anger should not be what triggers the killing.

Too many discussions over this don’t help.

Don’t talk about it, if you must kill, then do it.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:07 pm

I think we should be thinking in terms of 'stopping' not killing. If the 'stopping' results in killing...it is not something you 'intended'...

More comments from the Italian Forum

One of the worst problems against street survival is the idiotic way martial artists are deceived in their studies by the intellectual component of the art.

The strange tendency to attribute a therapeutic and moral, educational end result to martial arts practice, with a view to spiritual and philosophical enlightenment, is historically incorrect. You don’t argue with history.

Whomever studies a technique without keeping in mind that at the Shaolin temple the objective was to kill the enemy in the shortest possible time, he is not in that training moment studying a martial art, but mimicking …

So this method of “study” is no different than aerobic or dance workouts.

Thus he who approaches martial arts in this manner is missing the ultimate objective of the discipline,i.e., the formation of the “warrior mind” that goes a long way to increase the chances of survival.

Martial arts originated to “form” warriors able and determined to kill.

The “religions” and “philosophies” were instruments of “support.”

The “moral implications” that *today* we attribute to the martial arts, did not exist.

There is no best or honorable way to dispatch a human being.

Let me explain further: Two of the peculiarities that the student of old had to achieve, were:

1. Combative spirit
2. Attentive spirit.

The combative spirit in order to “transmit” the intention to kill the adversary during the fight.

The attentive spirit, to develop the capacity to focus his attention on the perception of the enemy and his intentions.

Such peculiarities are the essential, basic components of the non-physical side of martial arts.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:09 pm

The attentive spirit, to develop the capacity to focus his attention on the perception of the enemy and his intentions.
Italian Forum

I have been writing about this a long time. This is where your real self protection skills are at.

Most of us will never develop this skill on the dojo floor....no matter where this dojo is/was...
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:13 pm

Panther>>

I will get into it just this much_

Even after time has passed...
even after life has changed and gone on...
even after "dealing with" things that happened...

"Friends" don't understand.

Looking back years later you will be able to count all of your "friends" that you talked with about it and still have as "friends" on one hand... and have fingers left over.

You will look in the mirror and a different person will look back at you.

Even family that you talk with about it will have problems... There is a very high likelihood that it will end up destroying your marriage or "significant other" relationship.

So.... You learn to keep things inside.

You don't talk about it for a long time and then only if you can be fairly anonymous, because you know that many people can't handle it and it pushes them away. And who wants to loose new friends before they can even become friends.

You have a hard time looking people in the eyes when talking about certain situations because you're afraid. Afraid of crying. Afraid of seeing "that" look in their eyes that means they're not going to he your friend anymore. Afraid of the mental images that keep popping into your head.

And you don't even have to have gone so far as killing someone in self-defense.

Those things can just happen because of having had to defend yourself and seeing the pain, suffering, injury, blood, and emotion involved.

You survive the encounter and feel good, but you live with all those images.

Then someday you're faced with another "incident" and because of that flash of images and repercussions you hesitate...

All I can tell you is that hesitation will be more of a burden than the other images.

And that's why it is so important to make the choices ahead of time... get the "survival mindset" (tm) ahead of time. Don't hesitate when the time for action comes... take action... Survive.

'nuff said...

Panther
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:25 pm

The message here is primal rage triggered by a certain something that it would never be understood unless “experienced”_

Quite frankly I have always found all this intellectualizing and moralizing of the martial arts and man’s “behavior” under fire *physical and emotional* oppressive and nauseating.

My thread was the “primal shout” of a father devastated by the brutal killing of his 12-year-old daughter by skinheads in a home invasion, where after the useless police left; they had to scrape her brains off the walls and ceiling so it could be placed in the casket for burial. I don’t expect many to understand, except to continue “moralizing” _

That man is my cousin, and his daughter was my lovely niece.

You sit down and talk to this disconsolate man and a new window of man’s psyche will be revealed.

Why the movie 'Death Wish'

In Death Wish, Charles Bronson playing Paul Kersey. Originally, Paul Kersey is a design engineer with a New York development firm. He is blatantly characterized as a "bleeding-heart liberal" when it comes to crime, but after street thugs ransack his apartment, murder his newly-wed, and rape his daughter, he seeks revenge on the criminals who plague the town and leave the citizens in fear.

Now why would he feel that way?

The second movie is sometimes considered the worst of the five partly because the original had many characteristics of a good movie including serious societal commentary on vigilantism and crime as well as strong character development and the ongoing theme of whether being civilized is beneficial.

Death Wish 2 throws that aspect away and is much darker and hard-core in terms of killing. It was even originally rated X for it's graphic rape scenes.

For all this regression, the movie was awarded the highest box office draw of the five-$15 million. In the movie, he's doing well and has met Jill Ireland (his real life wife) and they are in a strong relationship heading toward marriage.

After walking in on his maid and daughter being raped and the daughter later being killed, he goes back to his vigilante habit killing all five of the men who he witnessed do this.

The final one of the five is particularly difficult to kill because he's been convicted on unrelated charges.

·
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:34 pm

Death wish

In the fourth version, he's back in Los Angeles. Kersey is again recruited to do dirty work against criminals, but this time a rich private citizen is funding Kersey's activities because he's lost a loved one to drugs. Kersey's mission is to kill anyone related to the drug trade thereby eliminating the entire drug production and distribution infrastructure of Los Angeles. He accomplishes this feat in one week.
· Finally in the fifth version, Kersey's new wife is killed leading him to eliminate the "fashion mafia" which has a grip on the fashion industry in the city and on his dead wife's daughter.

How does a man reach a stage where he descends in the throes of a wild, insane determination to destroy everything and everyone in his path?

You better keep aware of the Fact that some people carry this “emotional weapon” shaped by unique experiences, and “total destruction” can be mere inches and moments away...and you may be the one 'totally destructed' like the black belt tournament champion who came up against the Jamaican gangbanger [with an axe to grind] ending up with 40 stabs and his throat cut...the head almost severed from his body.

Why was he not able to mount any reasonable defense with all his trophies on the shelves? With all that karate greatness under his belt?

This is the type of reality thinking, that as Rory points out in his books, will keep you alive a bit longer...

What you do in the dojo or elsewhere in training does not even come close to a survival encounter unless you have done your home work.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:36 pm

Wise men write:
There are few times in a person’s life when he will feel , or be, more completely alone than the time when he is confronted enemies in lethal battle, whether in his Nation’s military, or down the street, as a member of his neighborhood family.
Van
Van Canna

PreviousNext

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities