Good talk on blocks

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Re: Good talk on blocks

Postby Van Canna » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:50 am

TSDguy »

Be careful in public restrooms. My uncle was robbed at knife-point in a busy restaurant restroom.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:47 am

Trapped at the mall

You are at a large shopping mall and have just entered a stall of the men’s room located at the end of a corridor off the first floor.

As you went in you noticed four punks loitering in there and as you close the stall’s door, you hear them whisper ‘let’s take out this ass-hole when he comes out.

Now what do you do :?:
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:02 am

Deception takes you to the HEAD of the class

Topos »

This incident took place many years ago at National Airport [now Reagan] D.C.

Late afternoon two miscreants followed a person into the men's room with the intent of relieving him of his possessions and maybe his physical integrity. Said potential victim's hackles rose as he became aware of what was likely to happen in the deserted rest room.

His brilliant solution? Went into a stall, locked the door but the space allowed him to see them and they him. He leaned over to his left sleeve cuff and in and "Irish Stage Whisper" :

"Don't close in, they haven't made the drug exchange yet".

Moral according to 'Saint' Van, the best Uechi block occurs before it is needed.

Too bad the sub-primes did not direct their natural talents in the sprint for sports for they cleared out in a flash.

Now if the two were to be Congressmen you might need to change the script to "Wait until I tell you they have tapped their feet and are slipping their feet under the stall". [grin++++]

I may be incorrect but don't rest room doors open inward?
Topos
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:10 am

BTW_ I handled the investigation of a ladies’ room set up and murder in the Greyhound terminal of Boston about 30 years ago. The terminal was right across the street from my office building.

Another time ...
One of my good friends on the way back from Florida, stepped into a Highway restroom and while at the open urinal, two men stepped out from stalls and blocked his way out …”gimme your money and your gold chain”

He had taken the precaution of holding a switch blade in the same hands busy with holding his appendage before he entered.

So he said ‘sure’ while turning around and stabbing the closet punk in the belly, then bolted out the door, got into his car and sped off.

Highway restrooms are the most dangerous places.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:18 am

Down the street from my Norwood dojo was this nice club 'The Village Inn" where we would stop for a couple beers often after a workout.

One evening...
One of my students, while engaged in the act of relieving himself, got slapped to the back of the head by some drunken ... big loud mouth standing next to him_ at the side by side urinals...“You’re a little sh!t, aren’t you?”

My student diffused the situation by upper cutting into the jerk’s ribs, causing him to double over.

Then my student grabbed the head with both hands and slammed it down as hard a she could into the bowl, knocking the jerk out.

I am sitting at the bar when he comes out and tells me he hurt someone pretty bad in the rest room.

I told him to get out quick and then meet me at the dojo about two hours later.

Sure enough I go in and see this goofy jerk _ out cold with his head in the porcelain ‘vase’ blood everywhere and smelling of piss.

The ‘pisser’ became a wonderful improvised weapon.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:22 am

As we look at any situation, one of the key components comes down to “who are you?” As we look at this question we immediately think of the most obvious aspects of it. We think about age, physical ability, size, and training.

Of course, these are very important aspects of your personal situation. One aspect, that is less obvious, but none the less important, is your mind state. The question needs to be asked “who are you” in regards to the mental aspect of the fight.

What has your past experiences and performances been in physical altercations? Are you aggressive or passive by nature? Did you immediately take the fight to the opponent or hesitate due to denial. Did you only go on the defensive?

These are all very important questions. But the reality is that many people have never had to answer these questions. For those of us that are not as lucky, we have a basic idea of who we are. For really unlucky people and the professionals, there is enough experience to know exactly who they are.

Suarez
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:23 am

The reason that this question is so important is so that you can prioritize your training to take in account exactly who you are. If you know yourself to be very aggressive, you can train aggressive action as a known priority.

This will not only fit your situation very well but it will also further entrench this natural desire to take the fight to the adversary. By ingraining this deeper and deeper, you will recognize the situation, for what it is, earlier and respond quicker.
Suarez
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:25 am

You may also know yourself as someone that can shift gears to aggressive action, but only after a slight hesitation. This is where many moderately trained civilians would find themselves.

This knowledge can help you prioritize your training to something that gets you off of the line of attack, at a subconscious level, to give yourself some time for the conscious mind to catch up and go on the offense.

This is where getting off of the X really shines. The forward oblique’s and parallel tracking works very well for this type of mindset. Visualization while training can improve this hesitation.
Suarez
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:26 am

You need to tap into that inner animal, the one that simply works off of rage. Visualization of protection of my wife and kids brings me closer to the decisive aggressive action that some of the top gunfighters in history have used to prevail. Reality is that my wife and kids do not even have to be present for this mindset to be enacted. Any attack on me is an attack on my wife and kids.
Suarez
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:27 am

You may also know yourself as someone that will only act defensively, someone that will simply not go on the offense.

While I do not agree with this type of mindset, as an instructor I have to understand that this may be the makeup of some of my students. Skills such as rearward movement or fighting to cover can be taught as their priority tactic.

As I give them those skills, I do my best to convey to them the importance of a winning mindset and the option of more aggressive tactics and techniques.
Suarez
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:30 am

Roger,I hope i can take this in a cogent direction.The other day I said something that C.W.S. commented on, It was "If he is worth talking to,he's worth searching" In that I meant,In any tactical situation you must have your mindset clear.

Are you WILLING and ABLE to do what now must be done because of what you have encountered or set in motion.

If all you wanted to do was scare someone into compliance,you must be willing to take it too the level of deadly force,because you initiated it and if you can't or will not,then even a man who was not assured of overcoming you will sense your indecision as weakness and now attempt to overtake you to whatever end.

It is not unusual or wrong to wonder about battle outcome,especially if you have little or no experience.

Trust your training and your heart.Most normal human beings must learn how to turn on the RAGE to fight and overcome circumstances.

Some here carry all the time,and yet wonder if they will take ANY action.

I've said before,if you have not made that decision and are carrying,your hesitation may cost you or someone else dearly.

And we have a few "Bring it on" proponents who I can't imagine have any real world experiences outside of training.

Justified or not,being involved in the deaths of other human beings is something that time will not erase.
Suarez
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:33 am

To walk silently with some speed: stand 90 degrees to the direction you want to go with your feet spread slightly. Take the foot opposite the direction you want to go, and, while balancing on your other foot, move it across, making an X shape with your legs.

Then take the other foot and swing it out from behind back to the start position. This method allows you to walk silently even when wearing jeans, which usually make a lot of noise.

A technique that ballet dancers, yogis, and various spies and martial artists use is a muscle located on the inside of your pelvis.

To put it crudely, it's the muscle that allows you to hold in your urine. Tightening that muscle when walking allows you to move silently. Practise flexing the muscle frequently.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:58 pm

Boston City of fear

GET OUT
City of fear
Beware, gentle reader, chills await in places unexpected

By Meredith Goldstein, Globe Staff |

The Boston area can be quite frightening, especially because everything around town is so old. But some local spots are scary for inexplicable reasons.

Murderous traffic, killer housing costs, heart-stopping sports teams - these are among Boston's well-known fear factors. But to celebrate Halloween, we asked some notable locals to name their own private terrors, things around town that give them goose bumps. Some of their answers may surprise you.

"One of the creepiest places I've been around here is the basement of the Somerville Theatre (not the movie theaters, the old basement where folks used to be able to put on their makeup).

It's just dark and cramped and seems full of movement of things you can't see. I also get a very creepy feeling in the [Harvard University] Widener Library stacks - the remote ones, and where you can see down below the floor."

— Lesley Bannatyne, author of "Witches' Night Before Halloween."
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:59 pm

"It's ... eerie to walk in the [Prudential] late at night ... It's so different from how it is during the day, and it almost seems like the ghosts of people remain behind. The stark white naked mannequins waiting to get their clothes changed don't help either!"

— Skye Schulte, artist and founder, Boston Martini Society
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:01 pm

"Riverside has a ghost called Esmerelda. She has a special chair in the theatre, and if fresh flowers are not placed on [it] the nights of shows she will make lights not work, stop sound playing, or worse, if anyone sits in her chair, in the middle of the show, equipment stops working. Many here have felt her presence and have seen what she can do."

— Melissa Williams, executive director, Riverside Theatre Works in Hyde Park
Van
Van Canna

PreviousNext

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities