Amazing first strike video

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Postby RACastanet » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:22 pm

Mike said: " Rich posted a picture of a Marine moving an Iraqi with a goose neck come along. Now from my experience to get someone into that one you have to be really sneaky and your chances of doing it during a fight are slim. But it's still a great technique outside of a fight."

You are correct Mike. This technique is below the midline in the 'force continuum' and is meant to be used on someone who is passively resisting and needs some encouragement to behave. In a fight I'd not consider this move as it is fairly complex.

There is a similar one that involves the thumb and might work against a higher level of resitance. If interested ask me to show it to you on Saturday.

Rich
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
RACastanet

Postby MikeK » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:46 pm

I'd love to see it Rich. I'd guess that I'd be the demo dummy for it too. 8O

I think when doing analysis applying a version of the force continuum to the template of the kata could yield different results and may even help explain some of the moves that are hard to pin down. Just thinking out loud. Well not really out loud but...
I was dreaming of the past...
MikeK

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:31 pm

Bill Glasheen wrote:Hey, no blood no foul! ;)

- Bill
Besides swarming is an ever present threat :lol:

Bill I'd love to see some of your advanced bunkai and or kumite stuff, I've never witnessed anthing but the traditional template. I like the idea of test candidates bringing something that they developed to the test.

Presenting and performing ones own applications shows the board that they can think outside of the box and can apply kata and not just merely rehash someone elses answer that have been handed down. A chance to demonstrate understanding of the material on the test.

Postby Bill Glasheen » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:44 pm

If I can get Jim Schaeffer to film the variations, can we get the Uechi site to post? Heck, I have another nidan candidate who can use the heat of exposure like this. 8)

I would love to get some feedback. Some are so obvious and cool that I really want to share. Others (like my interpretation of the jump) undoubtedly will trigger more debate and spitballs. But that's part of the process in my book.

BTW, these are my seisan bunkai "variation points."

* "Groin strike" followed by wauke.

* Front elbow (after the "shoken carry" technique)

* Wauke/hammerfist, wauke/boshiken

* Alternate to the "charging attacker" bunkai

* "Lost" bunkai for a nukite thrust (just something fun...). Two variations on this.

* "Seisan jump" sequence

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Re: Amazing first strike video

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:04 am

If now a danger situation triggers the 'fight or flight'-reflex and this reflex 'kills' the fine motor skills to support maximum body power, then those learned 'technical' moves are the first to disappear.

The straight punch too belongs to those artificial techniques that loose efficiency when the body activates it's instinctive stress and alarm reaction.

Of course with long and intensive training the straight punch (clenching the fist, coordination of wrist, elbow and shoulder) can become “second nature” (that's why most martial artist forget about the technical complexity of the punch).

but if real street fights are observed – even with professionally trained fighters in contemporary Mixed Martial Arts events – the accurate straight punches are gone and the wild swing is the one that is typically observed.

To teach beginners straight punches as the self defence tool to rely on in a life threatening situation that might happen the very next day, obviously is not the way to go.
Van
Van Canna

Postby paulg » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:49 pm

Another way to look at this is to consider that the kata, sanchin in particular, need not necessarily be meant to be used literally ( that is; exactly as practiced in the kata) but rather as a means of body mastery. We learn to channel and conduct our force where we want it, and this may carry over into the more instinctive moves under the pressure of a real situation. In other words we are honing and strengthening our natural defenses by training the body to use focused strikes, whatever form they take.
paulg

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:25 pm

Good post, Paul, and I agree generally...

but then we read this from real life observations of trained people in real fights, reverting to primal instincts
but if real street fights are observed – even with professionally trained fighters in contemporary Mixed Martial Arts events – the accurate straight punches are gone and the wild swing is the one that is typically observed.

It is strange that the 'primal flail' sees to emerge even in professional trained fighters...

I tell my students to expect the 'flail' coming and going, regardless of any traditional training, and to 'work ways' to deal with it...

One of the best ways to deal with it is to become proficient at footwork...off the X drills...and another is to practice impact training against the Bob dummy's most likely targets available in a skirmish so that basic strikes become internalized and constantly reinforced.

Here is an article worth perusing.

http://www.functionalselfdefense.org/ma ... -dont-work
Van
Van Canna

Previous

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities