Kung -Fu Interview

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Darin...

Postby gmattson » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:25 pm

Picture your testing for your sandan and one of the black belt test board members jumps over the table and spars the testees.
That's Darin

I don't think Fred meant this comment to be derogatory. But if a test candidate didn't have anyone to spar with, knowing Darin. . . well, he would probably be the first one to volunteer to help out.

Darin doesn't post on the forums. Mostly because he is too busy teaching and running a very successful construction company to build a reputation on the forums.

So no one outside of N.E. knows him - As most of us were unknown before the internet and these forums. I don't know how many tournament, exactly, that Darin competed in, but he continued to compete in point events long after I stopped running a regular series of tournaments in the 80s and occasional special tournaments until 2000 and little attention was given to tournaments within the uechi community.

His China experiences is something that I know very little of, other than what he discussed in my interview. I do know however, that he is very respected in the Chinese Mason community both in the USA and in Asia. He travels to China every year where he trains with the most respected masters in a number of systems. His version of China martial art history is not something he "made up", but is based on what he has learned from his Chinese teachers over many years.

I'll try to get him to do a follow up interview after this thread has generated some interesting questions. Obviously, as Darin says himself, this is his point of view and he presented it without insulting anyone, any style or any organization.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
gmattson
Site Admin

Postby Laird2 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:35 pm

No disrespect towards MR. YEE intended by this party, Just trying to get some background on the man. Thanks for the information guys!

Van I've never heard of underground kung fu fighting in China. Is this like Kimbo Slice in the back yard kind of stuff, is it done for money?

I had no idea their was an underground fighting network over there. I'd love to hear more about it. Maybe George can ask some questions about this stuff in his next interview. Maybe Darrin will come on line and tell us more about it. Is it legal? Is it like UFC or is it more like San Shou? Are their rules? Is this common and well known or is it secretive? Is gambling involved?

I've never met Darrin but I'd like to sounds like an interesting individual. I know he was in Edmonton on a KungFu trip this past winter. I don't think he visited any of the Uechi dojo's when he was there. But then I don't keep in contact will all of them either. I do know the two IUKF dojo's there are without a senior sensei as David Mott Sensei no longer makes the trip. They would have loved meeting a Uechi Senior like Darrin as would I.
Laird2

Postby Laird2 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:36 pm

whoops looks like we posted at the same time, thanks George!
Laird2

Postby Van Canna » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:50 pm

I am not aware of the underground fighting in China, Laird...first I heard it was when Darin mentioned to me last year.

I find that extremely interesting and would like to discuss it here because of Darin's Chinese experiences.

He also mentioned in conversations to others that he fought similar full contact matches in Vietnam and singapore.

Again, this is fascinating stuff, and I'd like to get into those countries' fighting activities as well.

But since Darin is too busy to post, he may wish to cover these aspects in a follow up interview as George indicated.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Rick Wilson » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:40 pm

I know how quickly these forums generate misinterpretations so for clarity I think the comments about not knowing Mr. Yee were simply to point out there was nothing personal in the disagreement rather than a question of his character.

As he is Bob’s student I am sure people can just speak directly to him on that issue if they feel some need for it.

We certainly get to know each other on the forums (for better or worse sometimes) and the internet has certainly shrunken the Uechi world. Although you could also say it expands it. The internet certainly expanded mine way passed Edmonton.
Rick Wilson

Postby f.Channell » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:18 pm

Yes Darin jumped in when we needed more people to spar at the last test I tested at. Nothing but respect for Darin.
And if invited to a Uechi Dojo in Edmonton you would need extra big padlocks to keep him out. :lol:

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
f.Channell

Postby Van Canna » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:33 pm

Right on...nobody was intending to offend Darin...the way the post read, Fred, was
Picture your testing for your sandan and one of the black belt test board members jumps over the table and spars the testees.
That's Darin.

Now 'jumps over the table' and 'spars the testees'. [plural]

I just wondered why he would need to jump over the table and engage all candidates :)

But now we have the answer...fine.
Van
Van Canna

Postby f.Channell » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:40 pm

You must admit Sensei it would make for a memorable test!
One I wouldn't want to miss. :lol:

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
f.Channell

Postby Darin Yee » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:09 pm

The forum could be such a great source for goodwill, teaching, learning and exchange of valuable information. It’s a shame to see its’ true intent sometimes distorted. I swore I would not contribute to this gossip column but a few of the uninformed accusations needs to be answered. This is my first and I pray it should be my last entry.
First issue is the inaccurate statement of my jumping over the table to spar a sandan. It was an ichi-kyu and I walked around the table as I am too old to pull of this “cowboy crap”. This incident in question happened at a dojo testing of one of my good friends. This candidate was by himself and as always I offer to help as any respectful visitor should. I believe the offer was appreciated. The promotion went smoothly. The candidate had his chance to demonstrate why he should be promoted. I do not enter someone else’s dojo with my noise up in the air and demand to be waited on hand and foot. Respect is earned and goes both ways. Seniors being pompous and self-righteous only demonstrate poor Bushido or a lack of. We all know that’s happened a few times in the past.
Now the issue of my comments on the history of martial arts. Along with studying martial arts and its origin from mainland China for many years, I have also learned much directly from a Chinese organization which I belong and have presided as “chairman” for 2 entire terms. This organization uses the Chinese character “hung” as a symbol of who we are.
As all knowledgeable Chinese historians know, this is the symbol used by the very organization credited with the origin of martial arts. A&E (Arts and Entertainment), a worldwide television program dedicated an entire show on this. (Please check to verify). For verifications on my membership to this organization, I have invited many of our most respected Uechi brothers to the “Hung Moun” celebrations. Out of respect, I will not mention any of their names. I’m sure most people prefer a more private life as I do.
Do you really think an outsider could muster as much or more authentic information than an insider like me with 2 full terms as “chairman”? The only information outsiders get are that which we allowed and they are sketchy at best. I will offer no more information as I can see there are opinionated people who feel the theories they’ve read somewhere outweighs written chronicles from the actual source.
What I’ve mentioned in my interview was the conception of kung fu. Please research the actual meaning of these words (kung fu). I can tell you, being fluent in 3 dialects of Chinese it does not say anything relating to fighting. Also be reminded that all things evolve including kung fu. Most of the systems were named after animals and insects for a reason. The kung fu not name after animals came much later and do not fall under my concept of “original kung fu”.
For instance, let’s use the words “ghow sie”. Some circles use this phrase as a “most respected master”. These words actually mean “dog crap”. (The explanation of how it happened is for another time). I realize about 5 years ago this term was still in use by some martial arts circles. They are not Uechi-Ryu people and it is not my place to correct them.
As for my fighting record, it means nothing. What we’ve accomplished in the past is just that “in the past”. At my age, it is more important to past on knowledge to those who seek it honorably and respectfully.
To question is to learn. It is not the question that exposes our intent but the way this question is exposed. I answer your statements out of respect for all the people who take the time to search for more knowledge. To challenge without proper knowledge will just leave you fruitless and frustrated. To love, honor and respect is the way of Bushido. Self-righteousness is a sin.
If you have more question for me, please come see me at George’s summer camp. I will be there all 3 days. I would love to meet you, shake hands, workout with you and talk about anything of interest.
I wish you the best as always. May God bless you and grant you peace and goodwill
Darin Yee

Postby Laird2 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:51 pm

Do you really think an outsider could muster as much or more authentic information than an insider like me with 2 full terms as “chairman”? The only information outsiders get are that which we allowed and they are sketchy at best. I will offer no more information as I can see there are opinionated people who feel the theories they’ve read somewhere outweighs written chronicles from the actual source.

The forum could be such a great source for goodwill, teaching, learning and exchange of valuable information. It’s a shame to see its’ true intent sometimes distorted.

Let me get this straight, because you are confusing me Mr. Yee. You’ve got all the answers, because you’re an insider who possesses the secret knowledge. The forums are a great place for learning and sharing but you will not share because other people have opinions and have expressed them. I would have thought that a Uechi chairman would want to share the truth with the Uechi world.

Yes there is some doggie doo do we all should avoid. There are many who claim to be the true source. Hard to debate it when they refuse to show their hand, it’s all top secret and only the worthy get to know. There is more than one individual out there who is teaching the real stuff and claims to know all the secrets. The original ryu the secret ryu, the posturing is endless.

Respect is earned and goes both ways.

Absolutely, it’s not earned by time in rank, or title, it’s earned by ones conduct, there are several seniors who will never have mine.

Seniors being pompous and self-righteous only demonstrate poor Bushido or a lack of.

Darrin I couldn’t agree more. It would be nice if some senior folks could chuck the BS and deal with everyone equally. But some ego’s get out of control and they just can’t step off those elevated pedestals, and we are left with the chosen ones who have all the answers, but you can’t pay them enough to reveal them so some folks are left wondering what the truth is. More than a few meters go off.

Good to see that GEM has such fine folk at the helm. You chair two different groups and have chaired the Chinese group that has the real truth, for two terms no less. Where do I sign up! Someone take my money please!

Sorry for the sarcasm MR. Yee but if you talk down to people you earn no respect.

I won’t tell you what I think of this propensity to keep secrets, it’s my secret you all will just have to guess.:wink: I feel like I've gone back to elementary school...I've got a secret and I'm not telling. :insert smilie with tounge sticking out here:
Laird2

Postby Laird2 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:00 pm

Wow that probably will get taken the wrong way what with folks looking for reasons to start arguements and toss desenting voices and all.

But if Mr. Yee is serious about this vehicle about learning possibly he could answer some questions for the uninformed.

1. "This organization uses the Chinese character “hung” as a symbol of who we are.
As all knowledgeable Chinese historians know, this is the symbol used by the very organization credited with the origin of martial arts. A&E (Arts and Entertainment), a worldwide television program dedicated an entire show on this." Sorry I missed the show could you fill me in?

2. "I have invited many of our most respected Uechi brothers to the “Hung Moun” celebrations." What are Hung Moun celibrations?
Laird2

Postby hoshin » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:18 am

hey Darin,
being the history junkie that i am, you mention here "written chronicles" from the actual source.
could you please explain this a little further for us ? who is the authentic source of these chronicles and where can i find them? as with most published works i would assume that they are sure to be found online , i would be very thankfull if you could post the link.
i was unaware that any such written documentation exsisted. what a treasure to know there are written chronicles from 300 to 500 b.c.
any more info would be great!!!
thanks

steve
hoshin

Postby Stryke » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:43 am

I was under the impression the historically gung fu is not a term used by the chinese to describe martial arts , and cant be found in many historical texts .

so even the term may not be historically accurate .

On a side note , if anyone wishes to have an intelligent conversation and include references and sources i`m more than happy to learn and compare notes .
Stryke

Postby Van Canna » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:06 am

Darin,

I don’t see anywhere here where you were a target of ‘accusations’…message boards are a medium of banter and debate, and curiosity.

I won’t go into this kung fu ‘secrets’ stuff…It is a non issue as far as I am concerned.

This is not a gossip page …it is a forum about the tactical ways of street survival…the theme of this extremely popular site from day one.

And as to the word ‘forum’ you need to understand something that only hard working moderators truly know:

That the word forum implies debate and banter and crossfire… representing a microcosm of life, a pre _and _post _exposure to the daily occurrences of the real world, where one has to get past their self and learn to coexist with their teammates in achieving the goal of increased knowledge about such a critical component of our lives.

It is through personal sacrifice and camaraderie and empathy that the goal is achieved here on this forum for the most part, notwithstanding the occasional emotional ‘flare-ups’ which are a part of life.

But in the end it is a family where you see similar behavior.

On these pages…over time one builds a picture of people as they share their opinions, hopes and fears that occasionally morph into heavy crossfire. Such is life.

Regular posters share information about their lives, be it their jobs, families, backgrounds, friends, deep beliefs and passions about training methods and expectations unique to their individualities…something that eludes some readers.

This forum is a type of community, it's a bringing together of people even if we disagree and scuffle at times.

As_ it has been pointed out, the discussions here are about sharing and exchanging information from all sources that impact upon our general, individual focus of practice.

This is how I was taught to learn in College, and in my work of assessing and resolving critical incidents consequences.

As you can see, hard working contributors _would welcome your openly sharing information which may be of general interest …and subject to debate in keeping with the nature of discussion forums.

‘Secrets’ won’t cut it…

All of us_ including George _have had to put up for years with the purveyors of the ‘secret Uechi Ryu handshake’ and he will tell you that it gets tiring after a while.

The famous ‘you wouldn’t understand’ club has lost its mythical appeal.

So get on line and share your knowledge with the group. I am sure you have much to contribute.
Last edited by Van Canna on Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Stryke » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:27 am

The beauty is Van always keeps his page well controlled

Stryke

PreviousNext

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities