How to walk by potential threats

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

How to walk by potential threats

Postby Van Canna » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:42 am

One of the most common questions I am asked is how to pass by someone about whom you don't feel comfortable.

Most people have an unclear concept of the message they are sending as they pass someone. More specifically, they know what message they want to send, but have no idea how the message they are sending is being received.

Many people feel that boldly marching past such a person is the best way. Unfortunately, this often turns into the last great act of defiance as they walk into the lion’s jaws.

Others feel that stepping aside when such a person approaches in a dark and lonely place would hurt his feelings. So they stand there as the criminal gets into attack position.

Others fear that if they walk wide they will show fear and tell the criminal that they are an easy victim.

Still others broadcast an aura of contempt and superiority with the intention of making the criminal wither up and slink away.

Each of these might work in a crowded mall, but they are a recipe for disaster if you are in an area beyond immediate help
what works to intimidate a homeless panhandler will only enrage a violent person.

This is especially important to realize if you tend to react to such people with disgust and contempt.
Van
Van Canna

Re: How to walk by potential threats

Postby Van Canna » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:39 pm

To understand why you must recognize that behavior as the second stage of an argument.

When we argue with someone, if our attempts at communications are rebuffed we tend to react not only with anger, but with disgust and contempt.

These are signals that we send out. Those signals are an attack on the person’s self-worth and are an act of escalation. These same actions are often returned.

This is why throwing up an aura of self-righteous disdain and then swaggering past a group of criminals is an invitation to be attacked.

For once the movies got something right about violence (although the source is odd). In the Disney movie Mulan, Huns have invaded China and a captured scout tells the Hun leader that the emperor will stop him.

The leader’s reply is sterling example of this kind of thinking, he says, "The emperor invited me. By building his wall he challenged my strength. Well, I am here to play his game."
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:42 pm

I will tell you this now, don't project contempt. If you are convinced that this has worked before, I assure you that it has only worked because you were in public or you were dealing with one of the ‘walking wounded’ instead of a violent criminal.

A criminal is not a homeless beggar; he will take extra joy out of showing you how wrong you are about your imagined superiority.

There are two effective ways to pass questionable individuals. Both involve steering well clear of them.

The first you "boldly swagger wide." Projecting all kinds of confidence, you steer clear of them. Make the distance at least five feet, although ten to 15 is better.

All the while watching out of the side of your eye in case the person (or group) decide to move towards you. Don’t glare at them, but walk as though you have purpose somewhere else.

That is what you are looking at. When you are past, then look at something to the side and check to see if they are following you.

The other way is to actually ignore them. By this I mean give them the same attention you give a fire hydrant.

Most people make the mistake of "working at" ignoring an undesirable. They are obvious about their attempt at not seeing the person. In doing so they come across like an ostrich with its head in the sand.

it's obvious that they are not ignoring the hard case. They are scared of him and pretending he isn't there.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:43 pm

On the other hand: How hard do you have to work to give a lamp post no significance?

Or a person sitting in a car next to you at a stop light? it's a car, it moves, as long as it stays in it's lane no problem.

That is real ignoring. You see the object and you avoid it, but you give it no emotional significance.

However, like driving, when it starts coming at you, you give it your full attention. In which case I recommend returning to the lights and the noise -- because that is where people are.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Art Rabesa » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:23 pm

Being where people are - or going where people are. Being in a well lit area. Of course, we are talking about that empty area. Isolated and dimly lit. Be very much aware of the presence. Keep a reasonable distance and do not change your stride. Always being aware of distance and space. When past --use slight angles of your stride to keep the unknown visible. No need to actually turn around when past the person, or persons. As usual ---sounds easy. Two words here ---BE AWARE. -----Don't you love it when the person (in a movie) always runs away from all those people, or lights, into a dark area. Or when chased --they always run in a straight line with that car barring down on them? Who edits this stuff? As you all know-----You can't fix stupid.
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Postby Otto » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:32 am

Where you walk is up to you. It should always be considered. But -

When a single lion walks by a single hyena, be the lion. But watch out for the pack.

When a single spider walks by a fly, be the spider. But watch our for bug spray, or a hammer.

Be smart. Walk softly but always carry a big ruthless. Predators always sense other predators.
Otto

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities