And George's Summer camp is almost here

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Corner kick

Postby Van Canna » Thu May 14, 2009 1:38 pm

A soccer corner kick is another way of restarting a soccer game. It is also a very good scoring opportunity; in fact, many goals are scored from this type of kick.

A soccer corner kick will be awarded to your team anytime an opponent player kicks the ball over the goal line on their side of the field ...
(either the ball is rolling on the ground or flying in the air :-)

No offside applies.

Later I will post rules of the free kick and penalty kick.

If you want to enjoy the world cup around the corner....be sure to understand these simple rules.

And hopefully we will have a good Uechi soccer match at camp.

BTW...look at the kicking mechanics of the soccer player and you will understand why they are such powerful kickers.
Van
Van Canna

Fedele

Postby Van Canna » Thu May 14, 2009 3:07 pm

Wrote me this
Hi Van Sensei, It's good to hear from you.

I did play Soccer as a kid but it's been about 25 years since I've played.

I'm sure that I could do OK and I'm always up for a challenge so if you need
me to make up the numbers I'll be glad to play but wouldn't like to take the
place of someone with more current experience.

I do have at least one or maybe two students that are very good players and
play in a league that I'll ask.

Well, knowing Fedele, and the shape he is in physically and mentally, and always up for a challenge...he will be one to watch on the soccer field. :)

Also we might get a couple of his students currently playing in a league...excellent. :D

I knew Fedele would step forward for this challenge.

Any other 'Fedeles' around :?:
Van
Van Canna

Impeding

Postby Van Canna » Fri May 15, 2009 1:20 pm

"Impeding the Progress of an Opponent" is an "Indirect Kick Foul" _ This used to be called "obstruction".

Generally, a player cannot use his body to impede another player's movements, even if it is not deliberate. This can be called if a player is not within "playing distance" of the ball (i.e., 3 feet) and block's an opponent's movement or screens an opponent from the ball.

However, if a player is within playing distance & able to play the ball (meaning not laying on the ground), the player can legally screen an opponent from the ball. (You usually see this when a ball is going out of bounds & the player whose team will get the throw-in screens the opponent so the opponent can't save the ball).

The rule also applies to "innocently" impeding the goalkeeper by standing in front of him when he has the ball.
Van
Van Canna

Indirect free kick

Postby Van Canna » Fri May 15, 2009 1:22 pm

A type of "free kick" given after minor fouls such as obstruction. On an indirect kick, another player (on either team) must touch the ball before a goal can be scored.

Question: "How do you know if a free kick is indirect?"

Answer: "The referee will raise his arm above his head and leave it up until the ball is kicked".

On an indirect kick you should have one player gently tap the ball so another player standing behind the ball can kick it; or pass it to someone who shoots it.

If on an Indirect Free Kick the ball is kicked into the goal without anyone else touching it (other than the kicker) the goal does not count and the other team is awarded a goal kick.

However, if the ball is touched by a player on either team, including the goalkeeper, before it goes into the goal, the goal counts.
Van
Van Canna

Watch the beauty of this

Postby Van Canna » Fri May 15, 2009 1:25 pm

Van
Van Canna

Penalty kick [PK]

Postby Van Canna » Fri May 15, 2009 1:33 pm

A "penalty kick" or "PK", is a special type of direct free kick. When a player commits any of the 10 "Direct Free Kick Fouls" within his own Penalty Box, the other team is given a Penalty Kick.

On a PK, a player from the fouled team (the coach can choose who, but it is nice to choose the player who was fouled) gets a free shot at goal from the "Penalty Mark" (which is 12 yards out ] with only the goalkeeper to stop the shot.

All other players must stay outside the Penalty Box & the Penalty Box Arc until it is kicked. The kick must go forward & once "in play" (i.e., once the ball moves) any player other than the kicker may then touch the ball.

The goalkeeper must stay on the goal line until the ball is kicked, but he can move laterally along the line.

The goalkeeper cannot take actions (such as waving his arms or yelling) to try to intentionally distract the kicker because that would be "unsporting", nor can the kicker start his run & then stop for the purpose of faking the Goalkeeper, for the same reason.
Van
Van Canna

Soccer at the Opera

Postby Van Canna » Fri May 22, 2009 9:30 pm

Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue May 26, 2009 4:57 am

Well, the US women soccer team beat the Canadian women soccer team 4-0...

Maybe we'd have better luck trying to organize a women soccer game at camp, instead of men.

Van
Van Canna

Get going...

Postby Van Canna » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:40 pm

Time to fill out those applications and get them back to me. This should be a great year. . . quite a few people have been contacting me, saying that they couldn't find the camp application anywhere.

Well, the reason for that was Sue didn't get the final prices from the Maritime Academy until yesterday. Because many participants don't eat all their meals at the academy, we have created new price categories to including different meal options. You can still buy your meals at the cafeteria should you change your mind and decide to eat there.

Please print out the application HERE and be sure to make up copies for your friends and class mates. You can either mail it in (be sure it gets to us before the deadline) or Fax it to us.

And where are the American soccer players? :P
Van
Van Canna

Good game

Postby Van Canna » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:41 pm

Confederations Cup
USA - Italy
June 15, 2009
Venue: Loftus Stadium, Pretoria, South-Africa
Buy your tickets USA - Italy
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:57 pm

Camp is coming get your ass in gear and keep conditioning your legs if even hope to get on the soccer field...Bill Bauchnect will be bringing some Portugese boys to the action who will run circles around the Americans and send them home from camp a day earlier to nurse the booboos :P
Van
Van Canna

Soccer Shocker

Postby Van Canna » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:22 pm

USA trounces Spain 2-0

8O 8O
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:23 am

Brazil/South Africa _ 1-0

So on Sunday...2 pm...on Espn...you will see the final game for the confederate cup, a prelude to the world cup_

Between the USA and Brazil _

Don't miss it...you are going to see magical soccer :)
Van
Van Canna

Today On ESN2

Postby Van Canna » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:59 pm

USA v. Brasil 8O

Don't miss this game. You are going to see some wonderful American soccer.

The US stunned the world champion SPAIN with a 2-0 win to get to this final championship game.
Van
Van Canna

Look at the power of soccer kicks

Postby Van Canna » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:12 am

Van
Van Canna

PreviousNext

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities