And George's Summer camp is almost here

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Target / Bag & Coaching Seminar

Postby robb buckland » Sun May 30, 2010 1:05 pm

Jim Maloney , Briget & myself will be training teachers and students on the use of targets and bags for fighters, fitness , self defense & coaches/teachers . 8)

This will NOTbe just a basics class ; but an in depth study of a 'language of movement' forged over centuries in gyms and fight clubs the world over. 8O

If you have gloves, wraps and focus pads please bring them ......

Coaching certifications will be available for qualified participants. :wink:
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
robb buckland

Hey Robb. . .

Postby gmattson » Sun May 30, 2010 11:45 pm

That sounds fantastic!!!!

Looking forward to seeing you, Bridget and Jimmy at camp. . .

Now. . . who else wants to let us know what they plan to do at this year's SummerFest?

I'll be posting this information on the home page beginning June 1st.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
gmattson
Site Admin

Get those applications in. . .

Postby gmattson » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:50 pm

What a great camp we are going to have this year.

Don't miss it!

Make your plans now and get those applications in early!

http://store.fastcommerce.com/EasternArts/summer-winterfest-registration-ff808081176dde4c0117711e4d846fa9-c.html
GEM
gmattson
Site Admin

Postby Van Canna » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:55 am

This will NOT be just a basics class ; but an in depth study of a 'language of movement' forged over centuries in gyms and fight clubs the world over.

This should be great, as it will go a long way to improve our striking power and targeting....something most students do not practice in class because of time constrictions while trying to KO all the circling 'Airmen' mobbing us on the floor. :lol:

Van
Van Canna

More good news. . .

Postby gmattson » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:17 am

John Hassell has confirmed he will be attending Summerfest this year, which is very good news for all his friends who take Bo lessons from him.
GEM
gmattson
Site Admin

Jack is one of the new presenters this year

Postby gmattson » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:46 pm

I'd like to do a couple of hours on the the fundamentals of the Muay Thai clinch, covering basic concepts (what is the clinch, why use the clinch), fundamental positions, strikes, throws, and escapes from that position. I presented a block of this material to the boys at the hut a while back, and they all seemed to really enjoy it.

Depending on the scheduling, I could also do a quick hour on some SPEAR System fundamentals--let me know what makes sense for you guys.

Best,

--
Jake Steinmann
GEM
gmattson
Site Admin

Canadian Support!!!

Postby gmattson » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:22 pm

Atta way Troy and Victor. . .

Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 10:40 AM
To: gmattson@uechi-ryu.com
Subject: Re: 2010 SummerFest News

Dear George.....I am happy to report that as well as Sensei Victor Swinnimer and myself,we are also bringing 5 of our students with us.Can't wait to see everyone at the camp.
Respectfully.
Troy Varner

Hi Troy:
That is indeed good news. . . Enrollment is slow and perhaps if I let people know you guys are coming, they will want to be there as well! :)

Talk up the camp; we need the bodies this year. Don’t forget. . . if anyone needs some financial help, we will provide scholarships. . .

Thanks for your support and help. Looking forward to seeing you all and working out with you.

Best,
George
GEM
gmattson
Site Admin

Bob Campbell 9th Dan

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:08 pm

This year at camp, Bob Campbell will be awarded his 9th Dan.

Hopefully, all his students and fans will attend to support camp and to be present at the ceremony, even as Bob,
due to a conflicting vacation schedule with his boss in Hong Kong, will not be able to make camp again this year.

I have always been intrigued and amazed at Bob Campbell's personal and martial arts accomplishments, so I asked him to send me a 'list'...which you can read below:

Martial Art Accomplishments:

Started Uechi Ryu around 1961 at the Mattson Academy, Columbus Ave, Boston, with George Mattson.

Was awarded his Black Belt on July 13th, 1967.

From 1967 to 1978 BC was very active on the local and regional tournament circuit, winning numerous grand championships in all the major categories: Kata, Weapons and Fighting, Including the NEKRA (New England Karate Referees Association) Grand Champion, Fighting, Forms, Weapons and the KRANE (Karate Referees Association of New England), Grand Champion, in Fighting, Forms, Weapons.

BC was selected to New England National Karate Team along with: George Pesare Dennis Passeretti, Ralph Bomba, and Roger Carpenter. During the years Bob was a member of the team here is a short list of his accomplishments:

United States Weapons Champion

United States Form’s Champion

United Stats top ten fighters in the country.

Member of the Winning United States National Kumite Team

Selected by Black belt Magazine’s top 10 fighters in the USA

Selected by Black belt Magazine’s top 10 Forms competitors in the USA

Selected by Black belt Magazine’s top 10 weapons competitors in the USA

Bob competed in the All Okinawain Karate Championships 2-3 times.

Bob wanted to expand his training in the martial arts and decided he wanted to learn the art of Northern Praying Mantis Kung Fu. Bob turned to his good friend, fellow electrician, and former classmate from his days while attending the Boston Trade High School – Arthur Soo Hoo.

It was Arthur Soo Hoo who introduced Bob to China Town and it was Arthur who introduced Bob to one of the most renounced master Sifu’s in the country - Grand Master Chin Po. Who agreed to teach the art of Northern Praying Mantis Kung Fu to Bob Campbell.

In 1976 Bob was asked personally by Celtic’s legend Red Arbach to perform a karate demonstration during the half time show at the Boston garden, during the Celtics national play off game. This was one of the very first times any for of martial art demonstration was showed on national television. The demonstration was such a success, that many of the Boston Celtics all returned to courtside early, just to watch it.

First Westerner to become a member of the Koushu Martial Art Federation of the Republic of China – Certificate Number 049 dated October 10th, 1976

Advisor to numerous Wu Shu and Kung Fu Associations in Hong Kong , Taiwan and the People's Republic of China

Security Consultant and Master Instructor for the personal Body Guards and Presidential Guards for Royal Families in Saudi Arabia, Oman and Brunei and for the head of State in the Republic of the Philippines.

Master Instructor for the Royal Hong Kong Police, Tactical Police Unit.

~~

There are so many more accomplishments in the Martial Arts , we could be here all night.

Personal Accomplishments:

Youngest person in the history of the state of Massachusetts to receive his Master Electrician license (19 years of age).

Bob is still an full member of Boston’s local 103 electricians union.

Bob enlisted into the U.S. Coast Guard and after boot camp, was placed on a combat patrol boat in Viet Nam. Bob is a full Viet Nam Combat War Veteran (United States Coast Guard).

During one of Bob’s Coast Guard deployment’s during Viet Nam this took him over seas and he was awarded his Shell-back Certificate from the US Coast Guard for Crossing the Equator as a member of the crew of a War & Rescue Ship..... a naval tradition going back several hundred years

Present Administrative Director of the International Law Firm of Oldham, Li & Nie in Hong Kong, Shanghai and London

Founding Administrative Director of the Action Asia Adventure Race - Challenge, held in 8 Asian Countries in Partnership with National Geographic, 1999 to present

Director of the Action Asia Foundation, a Children's Charitable Organization. 1999 to present. Hong Kong and in the Royal Kingdom on Nepal

Life time member of National Geographic

Honorable Knight of the Society of the Beef & Burgundy, a ancient British Society

Goodwill Ambassador by appointment of the Hong Kong Tourist Association in cooperation with the American Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong.

~~

Congratulations.

Hopefully we will see his students and supporters at camp.
Van
Van Canna

Joe Pomfret. . .

Postby gmattson » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:10 am

Yes. . . Joe will be with us all day Saturday and will be teaching both a morning and afternoon session.

You don't want to miss this one!
GEM
gmattson
Site Admin

Postby Van Canna » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:34 am

Just heard from Gary Khoury...he will be in the area and we shall see him at camp :D Most excellent.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:30 pm

Gary said he doesn't know when exactly he will be at camp...but he will be there...apt to 'pop out' anytime during the three days of festivities. Be great to see him. :D

He may just 'drop in'... :wink:

Capt. Khoury

Van
Van Canna

JuniorFest Newsletter

Postby gmattson » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:19 pm

George,

The URL you posted is huge and throwing the screen out of whack. I tried to shorten it but made a mistake. Cann you repost with a shorter URL?

Van
GEM
gmattson
Site Admin

The Sharks of Summer Fest

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:38 pm

Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:09 am

Van
Van Canna

Great weather

Postby Van Canna » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:16 pm

...forecast for the camp weekend...in the seventies with low humidity...

Don't miss one of the greatest 'Uechi parties' :wink:
Van
Van Canna

PreviousNext

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities