For Sale_ This Old House

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Re: For Sale_ This Old House

Postby Van Canna » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:37 pm

Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:45 pm

Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:30 pm

Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:30 pm

CHANT.
Rowing is as much a challenge of the mind as it is a sport of the body. You must match whatever rhythm the coxswain calls for and concentrate on your movements to deliver power and produce that rhythm.

One of the chants the boys in the boat used to keep focus and rhythm was “M.I.B. M.I.B. M.I.B..” (No, they weren’t foreshadowing the Men in Black movies.) M.I.B. stood for “mind in boat.” That phrase reminded them to rid all distractions and to concentrate on their primary task from the moment they stepped into the boat to the finish line.

They trained themselves to cast away thoughts about who was watching them from the shore or how the competing boats were faring. “M.I.B.” reduced the world of the oarsmen to their next stroke, their rhythm, their power, the movement of their arms, the shoulder of the man in front of them, and the catch of their paddle in the water.

Nothing beyond the oar existed during a race. Concentration. Focus. Mind in the boat. It was all about the boat.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:32 pm

SWING.
There is musical beauty when several voices sing in perfect harmony. A similar effect happens in rowing “when all eight oarsmen are rowing in such perfect unison that no single action by any one is out of sync with those of the others.” It is called swing.

The rowers cease being a boatload of individuals and become a single unit. Daniel James Brown wrote that it’s not just a matter of getting oar strokes together; it’s harmonizing every minute muscle action “from one end of the boat to the other.

Only then will the boat continue to run, unchecked, fluidly and gracefully between pulls of the oars. Only then will it feel as if the boat is part of each of them, moving as if on its own. Rowing then becomes a kind of perfect language.

Poetry, that’s what a good swing feels like.” The boys in the boat first found their swing rowing back to the shell house after a trial run at nationals one evening. Everyone was relaxed, everything was in sync, and the boat slid effortlessly in the quiet night.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:18 pm

The Husky Clipper
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:24 pm

Van
Van Canna

Previous