For Sale_ This Old House

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Re: For Sale_ This Old House

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:37 pm

like me, no doubt you know many people who you consider to be very smart, who possess a high level of intelligence...

however, one of the things I have learned over the years is that there is a great deal of difference between smart and wise, between intelligence and wisdom...

the former attributes comes in part from genetics and in part from formal study in school settings...

on the other hand, having wisdom and being wise comes living life, observing life, learning from life... and just as some who attend school don't necessarily become smart, many who live life never become wise...

to acquire wisdom, you must listen to all that is said, never prejudging... pondering and considering are worthwhile ways to process information obtained while listening...
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:37 pm

caring about people and being able to place people above things also helps... not rushing to judgment is always a good plan because if you do rush, you might find later that you traveled down the wrong road...

also, being able to determine cause and effect goes a long way to avoid making or recommending the same foolish decisions time after time... and since it is impossible to see, hear, experience all that life has to offer, reading is a great way to supplement our experiences...

there are no degrees awarded to those who acquire wisdom, no written record of what you have achieved... however, it is very apparent you have it in the way you think, the way you conduct yourself, and the way you treat others...
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:39 pm

Friends

I was thinking the other day about friends... I'm sure over time we've all gotten our share of forwarded emails telling us what a friend is and how, being the recipient of the email, we are a friend of the sender...

of course, there is that catch, in that if you consider the sender a friend, then you need to return the email to them... quid pro quo, as it were... while getting those emails are nice, they seem pretty much contrived... but got me thinking about friends, and that led me to the dictionary where I found the following four definitions for "friend"...

A person whom one knows; an acquaintance.

A person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; a comrade.

One who supports, sympathizes with, or patronizes a group, cause, or movement.

A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:40 pm

there certainly are people I could fit into that first definition... I think we all have lots of people we kind'a know, perhaps through some social event...

they get our polite hello, how are you, how are things going... but the truth of the matter is that we probably really don't want to know; we don't have any abiding interest in their lives though we certainly don't wish them ill will... they're better defined as acquaintances rather than friends...

insofar as those in the second and third definitions, we've all had some of them over the years... perhaps it was in politics or some local situation where we met them...
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:41 pm

but rather than friends, I think of them as allies... sometimes that old saying applies - any enemy of my enemy is a friend of mind... still, I don't really consider them friends...

then comes that last one - a person we know, like and trust... now that a friend to me... I not sure how well we have to really "know" a friend (afterall, who do we really KNOW), but certainly we have to know them well enough to "care" about them...

we celebrate their successes and ache for them in their setbacks... we are there for them when help is needed... and we know that feeling and concern is reciprocated...
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:42 pm

another characteristic of true friendship is that regardless of how long it has been since that last meeting, when we meet a friend again, it is like slipping on a comfortable pair of slippers -

the discussion and life seems to just pick up where we last left off... simply put, friendship defies time and transcends circumstances... and over time, friendship ages like a fine wine...
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:43 pm

when I am home late in the evening with the door open, I sometimes can hear the whistle of those trains as they approach and pass that nearby crossing...

and when I do, I am transported back to when I was a very young boy living in Pennsylvania and sometimes late at night I could hear the truly lonesome whistle of a train some miles away ...

I am amazed that the sound has never left the deep reaches of my mind... and when I do hear it now, it brings back those same feelings and emotions it did all those years ago...

although I didn't fully grasp it then, I think it was a sense that this world is a lot bigger than I could imagine and life involved a lot of people I would never meet - people and places further up and down the line...
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:44 pm

that got me thinking about other sounds, and sights and smells, of years long gone by that still evoke fond and pleasant memories... while they may be different ones, I'm willing to bet they are there for each of us...

I know have forgotten so much more than I will ever remember, and the forgotten memories are growing in numbers - yet, there are things that will stay with me forever...

that train whistle, the aroma of a favorite dish cooking, the sight of a certain car... little did I know at the time I first experienced them that they would become the basis for some of my fondest memories, returning like old lost friends...
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:45 pm

sometimes get into the "what if" kind of thinking... well, in the July 2007 issue of Scientific American there is a very thought provoking "what if" scenario... it is a brief article on a book written by Alan Weisman, titled "The World Without Us"...

the premise of the book is that suddenly one day there are no human beings on the face of the earth... how that happened is not part of the book; it simply assumes that as fact and then asks, what would be the sequence of events that might occur on this human-free earth over a period of a few days, weeks, months, years and centuries till finally the sun consumes the earth as part of its demise...

clearly the earth would survive as would many plants and living creatures... for instance, he believes cats might well survive... I don't know why they wouldn't since they'd probably sleep through the entire thing...

others, such as rats and head lice would fall by the wayside... of equal interest is the projections about the fate of our cities... there is no doubt but that in time they would crumble, and those areas would be covered by forests once again...
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:46 pm

that led me to ponder the scenario we really don't want to consider... what will this earth, more specifically, what would the lives of those remaining be like after we cease to exist...

no doubt there will be pain and sorrow for those we leave behind, but just as we have adjusted and moved on after others we have known have died, so will our survivors...

in time the tears will be replaced with laughter... in time, memories will fade and within a century or so, we will be as well remembered as our ancestors of a century or more ago are today...

we each have an appointed day when we will step aside and let others continue life's march into the future... we can only hope that they find love and joy, and leave this world in better shape than we did...

~~~~
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:40 pm

Nightmares and Dreams
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:49 pm

Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:25 am

And so in one of the dreams I see my old house as never been sold or renovated after I left it….but as that sacred personal space between the walls of my childhood, mute of any modern sounds yet empty and humid with tears of time …still faithful to the family heir…left behind to age and die…

strangely quiet in the darkness of the night …but rich of memories shadows reflected and intertwined upon the walls and ceilings by any glimmer of light intruding from the reveries.

I feel a light summer wind across my face…" Oh, my beloved ones_ how could I have not known that our time together would come and go so quickly" I whispered to the wind. "I have so many questions and no one to ask."

The stars above began to glimmer, the full moon suddenly out from behind dark clouds… providing me with enough 'chiaroscuro' to see where I was going.
I was attracted by delicate sounds from my old garden and decided to pay it a visit.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:26 am

The stairs down from the heavy Iron Gate to the left of my front entrance door, and leading first to the wall of the beloved railroad and next down into the garden was a shambles of broken wood and fallen brick. My breath stopped. I swallowed hard.

A black dog started to bark behind me …. He was pacing nervously back and forth outside the gate I had drawn shut…but he was strangely familiar and friendly…I was not afraid of him…I spoke to him in a soothing voice…his eyes locked into mine he began to whimper….and roll on his back.

A protector of the dead?
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:27 am

The stairs down the garden looked crumbling and sad.

"It looks like you've been empty and neglected a long time," I said, reaching down to run my hand over one of the loose bricks that lay beside the cracked boards on the stairs.

The thought came to me…"maybe I should once more scale the wall of the railroad by grasping the natural stone 'handles' and putting my feet into 'step holes' of the wall carved by my ancestry children as well as I …over time…no what am I doing? I will fall and break my neck"

But, taking a left on the landing, I descended into my old playground. It was filled with tall, green grass. I ran my hand across the top of the thin blades. Then breathed in the sweet smell.
Van
Van Canna

PreviousNext

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities