For Sale_ This Old House

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Re: For Sale_ This Old House

Postby Van Canna » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:30 am

Slowly I stepped to the center of the garden and saw the old remnants of physical workout equipment, tarnished, chipped, rusted. There was a soft creaking from the rusted pile… as in speaking to me softly.

In its time the equipment had produced superb heavy muscled athletes of my father and his brothers…one had become a wrestler, a gymnast and mountain climber, the other a gymnasts and rower. The youngest of my uncles had been the most promising with Olympic possibilities in gymnastics….but he was cut down by fate at the young age of 18.

I closed my eyes real tight, like I always did when trying to make something come true, and beamed my wish upon a star.

"Make this trip last forever." It was now sunrise…I had been huddled on the crumbling steps and dozed off…

The cawing of a crow jolted me awake…flying out from one of the trees nearby, in the land beyond the palisade on my right just behind the nut tree, the garden still in the heart of the early morning penumbra.

Once I had read in one of my father's books in his library…. that Crows gather together, like family.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:33 am

That they continue to meet on the same tree limb for generations. My eyes followed the flight of the Crow.

At the far end of the garden ….down below the open sided, covered, long balcony we used as a porch that overlooked the garden and the railroad station far into distance something started to move.

Shadows of light and dark shimmered through the air like waves of electricity.

It was . . . my long gone family. Gramma, my aunts_ one of whom had died in my bedroom when I was a child and I could not understand death…my uncles and some others I didn't even know.

I stood frozen. Unable to move. Watching. Listening. Wondering what this was about. Why is all this happening?

Light drops of rain started to fall from the sky. I could see them gently making their way from the clouds, down to Earth. In the sudden chill coming over me_

it finally came…the answer….like crackling thunder.
The voice spoke softly…

"You're right. A part of you has been stuck here. A part of you is us. All of us who settled this land long before you were born. All of us who came after. We've been holding the only part we knew of you, the ten year old, and waiting for you to come back."
~~
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:34 am

"You want me to stay here?" I whispered as I slowly turned one way, then another. Searching for the face that would match the voice.

"No, we want you to take us with you."

"How do I do that?" I mumbled.

"Put us in your heart. Know your connection."

I stood still. Listening. Waiting. Confused, and clear. Quiet, but filled with words. Apprehensive, but willing.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:37 am

Slowly. One by one. They walked into me. My Grandmother. My Great Aunt Mary. My Uncle Tom. And others I'd never even seen before. Young faces and old, dark and light, all became a part of me. Love caressed my skin. Courage shot through my veins. Strength flowed into my hands. Compassion streamed into my soul.

"Thank you," I said. "For living and dying. And building a path, for me."

As I walked away I knew that no matter where I went. Or what I did. I was not alone. A whole tribe went with me. I had gotten my childhood wish. This trip to my childhood's house was going to last forever.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:51 pm

Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:34 pm

Gregorian Chants from Assisi - Medieval Lauds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC6OKIYXBxQ
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:30 am

So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.

Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.

Always give a word or sign of salute when meeting or passing a stranger if in a lonely place. SHOW RESPECT TO ALL PEOPLE, BUT GROVEL TO NONE.

When you arise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life and strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies in yourself.

Touch not the poisonous firewater that makes wise ones turn to fools and robs them of their visions.

When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way.

Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home. -TECUMSEH-
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:31 am

RA Miller

..."and when the time comes, then I will die. How? As becomes a person who is giving back what is not his own."-
Epictetus
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:16 pm

So here I am…beloved old city of mine… a tourist in my old town…yet a portentous homecoming…

I have come back even if as I _actually never really out-distanced myself from you.

The longing for the days spent in familiar places…my places...the ones that in their beauty and simplicity _ have locked in years and years of sweet memories…has now exploded in a myriad of feelings…

Colors, noises and scents that bring back to mind faces of people that are no more, days of carelessness, laughter, young love, friendships, sports, exclusive clubs, parties, Summers of delightful happenings…

…and then the somber days, the floating dead leaves of autumn, signifying the coming to a close of the magic of my life_ inviting the bittersweet moment of my embarking upon the unknown to emerge from the chiaro scuro of my soul.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:23 pm

This is all that remains…all as always… as it was and always will be. Tranquil and serene days...to remember and to re-invent happiness.

~~

Hours in thinking , reading, talking…evenings spent with old friends found anew…smiles of faces just becoming familiar…

I want to think of this new period as so welcoming and so continuing forever…

The maze of pedestrian-only cobbled lanes beckons exploration. The main street is lined with restaurants and a boutique with unique collections…all seems so new, yet so old.

Warm sunlight, friendly bustle, and a terrace café invites snacking, lounging and enjoying the sights:

the nearby railway station continuing its tradition as a prime meeting spot; down a ways the famed underground café bar...

and in the distance the clock and bell tower of the 700-year-old Cathedral. I survey two nearby restaurants and pick one for dinner that evening….
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:24 pm

Everyone who's spent time in my old city has their own version of the perfect afternoon.

Mine goes like this: I grab a bike and coast along the city's seaside promenade, with salty wind in my hair, sun on my shoulders and the freedom to make pit stops at as many beach-side cafes as I like while enjoying the company of wonderful friends.

Afterward, I ride back toward the old center and then move on to explore the maze of streets and plazas of the ‘Kasbah’ quarter_ a place of much significance_ as it was affectionately named.

I end the afternoon with an aperitif and an evening dream.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:25 pm

In my reveries I thought of a fun game to play: trying to name a store that previously occupied the location of all of the current stores.

Sure, there were lots of new restaurants, and bus routes, and new metro maps, and little things like that that stuck out as being new and different.

But really, not all that much had changed. That’s part of what made it odd.

It was kind of surreal, actually. It felt a bit like The Twilight Zone:

I rode the horse and buggy to get to where I was staying. But I got off one block before my old house.

So I walked the same streets as before _ but they were no longer my streets.

On the sidewalk, randomly running into the brother of one of my high school friends from Rome...he was visiting his son who is a copter pilot. How cool is that?!
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:27 pm

Memories of yesterdays _ morosely culling the sounds of my dreams…the ringing of the church bells, the patter of rain upon the tiled roof, sunlight slivers reflecting off marbled floors...

the voices of dear old friends calling out from the courtyard , the promises of new glorious days...

while humming ballads and dreaming of a better future_ I could not bear the thought of leaving my ancestral home.

For me, to lose a single inch of the old house is the worst disrespect to my forefathers_
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:29 pm

It will be a becoming…I feel it. Although months shall pass, and seasons will change in their slow and continuous mutations of colors…remembrances of what it has been I will take with me …as always …

Now I have a yearning for something new_+ the energy that these days of rest have gifted me …are being channeled and I will spend most of it in the construction of situations that will bring me novelties.

And now I am ready, I have already overhauled my magic wand, my pointed hat I have never taken off, and shortly I will begin to make some beautiful things… happen…
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:41 pm

This is how I saw and thought of you my last sleeplessness night before my departure for foreign lands.

You are a city that breathes and wants to be breathed.

Living with you has been an intense emotion, lost in your elegant, seductive and expressive ways while creating memories in your sweet caresses and your nightly lullabies.

It was an enchanting, yet a sad night. That evening I had spent the last hours chatting with dear friends, sitting serenely on a bench in a corner most hidden and precious of the city, the public gardens packed with joyous people crowding the terraces overlooking the shining sea with the full moon above.

Abandoned to the soft embrace of the mild wind from the sea that seemed to talk of its knowledge of voyages, departures, promises, and nostalgias still alive _ in its scents, and velvety touch upon skin and soul.
Van
Van Canna

PreviousNext

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities