For Sale_ This Old House

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Re: For Sale_ This Old House

Postby Van Canna » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:58 am

I open that window: the first thing that hits me is the absence of an ancient wall across the way; it was my clock. In the summer the sun at 8 AM would shine the very top, at ten AM it would light up half the wall, and at 12 noon, all the wall was bright.

From that wall I also knew of the seasons. In the winter all muddy humid and black_in the spring beautiful flowers would emerge, long green leaves, and a world of insects.
In the summer a squalor arid and white, in the fall after the first rains it would cover with moss and random red little flowers with nascent grass...

All vanished, in its place a new house, tall white, glaring, impeding the sight above and beyond.

I look into the street below: the hour is late, the breeze of great dusk begins to cool the evening, but nobody, not even a child appears on the lonesome street.

All is vanished, and I have remained alone, in this house in this street.

Sweet and sad memories of my past. From this window I look at the sky of my youth and thru the falling dusk at infinity read of the blessed events of those golden years as written in silver across a fiery sunset.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:39 pm

Growing up in my beloved old house, I recall how all family members would express their strongest attachment to the house underlining the importance that it should always remain in possession of the family throughout the future.

And that this possession is also of great validity for younger generations... as for all the family present and future, the house appears to create a single unity to which all feel a deep belonging.

They would say ‘we all grew up together with this house’…

And I as a boy, every time I left for some trip with my parents, I would immediately feel nostalgic just as I got into the train car and sat down.

On the way out of the station, the train would pass by the house on the garden side, and I would quickly feel an immense sadness. The large garden windows curled into deep frown sensing a betrayal in the making.

It was as if I knew even at that young age, that someday it would all come to pass, that I would have to abandon that old refuge of the heart...and that I would have to see my beloved mother break down in uncontrollable fits of crying.

Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:49 am

Portraits, painted by ambulant artists, of the old aunts and uncles and great, parents from which my father inherited the house, hang on the walls of the first floor below, together with many great photographs of other ancestors.

These were recognized by the older generation still living, and partly by the second generation that even not having met them personally, could name each and everyone of them.So this way you can say that they are part of the collective memory of the family.

Same you can say of the majority of antique pieces of furniture and of utensils that one of the living aunts had placed on the first floor and that it was so well appreciated by other family members.

Every item has its story and each one is given great importance and vigor, as part of communal family patrimony beyond precious value as antiques. Many of these combinations of old things, reside and populate the nightly dreams I have always had of this magical old place.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:57 pm

There are so many ‘hidden chapters’ in this old house…so much that have seen, lived, and suffered within those walls, that if they could only talk, the strangest of the stories they would tell...

I was not the only one to ever dream of that very dear and mysterious family residence. My dearest friend John, who lived across the street, had spent lots of time visiting the house to play soccer or just hang out.

Later in life, he had said “ I dreamed that beautiful old house even last night” knowing I was on the way to visit him the next day.

On another occasion he had confessed that he dreams that old house almost every night. He sees in is dreams the house with very old furniture and inhabited by my ancestors.

But mostly he dreams of the room that was really his favorite, on the first floor where we had the ‘radio room’ …an iron stove…my father’s wall library, an old radio console

a sofa that allowed him to sit down, listen to beautiful old songs, and sing along with the singer.

John was himself a very good singer who would always start to sing when he came to visit , bringing a little happiness to the house even in its bleak moments. John could also play the harmonica in melodious ways.

My old house had two very large floors, a roof top encircled by walls waist height, from where you could play or watch the train station across the way beyond the garden, and also it had a storage attic area where my parents would keep fruit and vegetables.

So many times as a child I would go on the roof to play or just sit and watch and listen to the locomotives steaming in and out of the station.

From the roof top I could also hear the daughters of rich neighbors play the piano..such beautiful music.

When up on the roof with John, we would talk about his paternal house in a town nearby before it was totally destroyed by the bombardment of the war.

John loved to recount in detail his old house, the old kitchen, the stairs leading up the front entrance, the wooden floors, the windows that were so large and airy.

He remembered his house very open and full of life, people coming and going, friends of his father always welcome, and always offered something to eat…very much like my old house…and a good reason why he loved to visit me so very often.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:36 am

But now only the cold wind swept through the empty rooms, ruffled the cobwebs hanging in the corners with its icy fingers, lifted the accumulated dust everywhere. Over all the melodic sound of a music box in the night.
Van
Van Canna

Previous

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities