Explosive Uechi Ryu

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Re: Explosive Uechi Ryu

Postby Otto » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:29 pm

I will definitely do it blindfolded. I'm going to play with it for a few more weeks first, though.

After we did it in class, a couple of us were playing with it afterwards. We all comented that even without instruction, just by doing it, you get "that feel" you were talking about. I really like this drill. Thanks, Sensei.
Otto

Postby Art Rabesa » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:47 pm

YOU'RE WELCOME OTTO. Happy Trails -----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Postby Van Canna » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:03 pm

In these discussions it is even more important to evaluate the reasons why most people will come under attack to begin with.

Think about it...you will most likely be attacked because an assailant has decided you look 'attackable' ...he has perceived the message you appear to be low risk...maybe age...

...maybe your physical 'non-presence' _signals you might emit _ possibly reflecting...a compliant victim...an easy mark to intimidate and exert control and pain over...for the sake of making themselves look and feel like a tough guy.

These are really the basic dynamics of an attack upon you.

What do you see in the mirror reflecting an image of you as it might perceived a 'hard target' v. 'easy target' by a potential assailant?

And do we analyze the fact that in any potential imminent confrontation there is "physiology" and there's "psychology"?

Maybe Art can talk a bit about this...

Because of our training, it is easy to continually think of ourselves as 'hard targets' whereas the truth might well be we have shifted to less than that because of a number of reasons we sometimes deny outright...and this denial can place us in harms way...

And speaking of the "physiology"...when sensing something about to go down...what 'first strike' techniques do you work on so as to ingrain them as a 'surprise counter' to an assailant's assumptions of how 'easy' you are being perceived?

Or do you keep ingraining " Oh well...Uechi - Ryu is a defensive style" so you must wait for a strike so you can block it with your face before throwing a counter as you fall to the ground half or fully stunned...or worse?

What exactly does 'defensive style' mean?

And when does the fight really start for this 'defensive style' to take notice?
Van
Van Canna

Postby Art Rabesa » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:50 pm

Wow! That is quite a statement and question all rolled in one Van. You put it very well. When one finds that they are in a difficult situation all sorts of things happen to their body. What do I do now? How do I get out of this one? While you are going through all these emotions , the bad guy is loading up. Defense CRAP. We are not counter fighters. In my first book I state, "There is no such thing as defense". Please don't read too much in this statement. I just mean that I'm not going to allow the attack to begin. I know it is coming. I can sense it and read it. I'm coming hard. Right up the middle hard. You want to train this way. I posted the "hair trigger" topic. That is what I refer to. I've been there, and not just once. No talking, no posturing , here I come. You want to get out of that bad situation? Let it go. We will sort things out later. You can train to do this. ------Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Postby Art Rabesa » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:19 pm

When I do the "inside - ouside" drill, I'm always seeking that tiny space to strike. This comes from the recognition of your partners hands and arms. As you move your hands in the steering wheel motion, pay attention to where your partners hands are. When you feel the hands leaving your touch follow with a slight touch of your palm or back of your hand. This is when you slid over or under that moving hand. If you are on the inside of the hand a quick snapping arcing punch or open hand to that exposed area is called for. If your hand slides on top of that moving hand, that same snapping strike to the side of the head is called for. You are practicing to recognize open areas by touch. After many sessions of this drill, you become very much aware of where to fire your strikes from VERY close. Of course, you must be careful not to hit your partner with these strikes. Keep your hand open, and just touch the areas with finger tips. Take these same strikes to the heavy bag or striking mitts, to get the full power of the impact. Practice this -----you'll be surprised how you do after a period of time. This drill also helps you feel comfortable working real close. Nice little drill to add to the regular dojo workout. -----Happy Trails-----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Postby Art Rabesa » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:50 pm

Playing with the "steering wheel" position on the heavy bag last night. This ties right in with the "inside - outside" drill. This is the body position you find yourself in most of the time, in a true fight. Working the stance becomes a slightly larger sanchin stance. Working the hands, on the bag with the steering motion, you will notice that your stance becomes very important. Get that strong base to go along with your hands. Example ------left foot forward. Left hand moves to noon and right hand moves to 4 o'clock. Strike a short hook to that 4 o'clock position. Then strike from there to the 1 o'clock position. Pay attention to how your stance is aiding you in your power and stability. Weak base = weak strike. Strong base = big bang. Now try it with the right foot forward. Also, mke sure you practice hitting of the fron foot. Example ----- Right foot forward - strike with right hand. Same thing the other way. I have a good time working this drill. You will too. It will get you to feel comfortable working close. OF COURSE ---- That bag doesn't hit back. ------Happy Trails------Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Postby Art Rabesa » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:24 pm

When practicing hitting from a distance, here is something that is very effective. Surprisingly ,it is not a kick. I call it the running punch. It's actually more of a shuffling punch. You are going to work the front side. If you are with the left foot forward you will be striking with the left hand. From a little shuffle, you will drive the back leg forward. You must keep your hands up all the way through this. Now here is the most important part. You are punching with that front hand,left hand in this case, as the leg is fired forward. Same time. Same on the other side. Takes some practice, but you can cover a lot of distance with this. This technique is in my "KUMITE" book, and also on my web site. Check it out. It will allow you to hit from way out there. ---Happy Trails--- Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Postby Art Rabesa » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:52 pm

Concerning the above post. The running punch has always been my way of getting into "the kitchen". I used it primarily to close the distance quickly. What I found, was that the first punch did not always make contact. It was what followed that made this one of my favorite techniques.The speed of this technique, puts you very close. Remember what I say about being in the kitchen. "Once you're in the kitchen, you better be ready to do some cooking".----Happy Trails -----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Postby Otto » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:51 pm

Just wanted to let you know, last night I started doing that "belt tied" drill blindfolded as you suggested. It's wonderful. (fun, too)
Thanks again, sir.
Otto

Postby Art Rabesa » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:24 pm

I have a lot of fun with that drill. Students really like it. Much can be learned from this drill. ----Happy Trails ----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Postby Art Rabesa » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:50 pm

One more important thing when working real close. All your strikes must be to areas that will cause stoppage. I've talked at great length about the way to strike when close. The "Inside - outside", drill enables you to detect these spots to hit. The bad guys body is right there. No need to stray your strikes all over the place. Practice your strikes to explode on his ear, his clavicle, point of jaw, just below the nipples (egg shell area), top of sternum, point of nose. The shin thrust which just drops onto his upper leg ( this one is nasty). All these strikes can be practiced on the heavy bag. Refer to the striking and infighting sections of the web site . The main point being , is to have accurate strikes. Nothing fancy in close. Just hit the sweet spots. -----Happy Trails -----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: Explosive Uechi Ryu - Grenades

Postby Art Rabesa » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:04 pm

I'm always wanting grenades going off throughout the kata. Every block or strike should explode. Well -- this sounds good, but it is not really that easy to do. When the power base of sanchin is forgotten, there are no grenades going off. Just arms flopping around moving air. Learning to move in one piece with everything ending at the same time, and firing blocks and strikes from a powerful power base will pull the pin on that grenade. So when I say "Let me see those grenades going off", my students know what I'm looking for. When kata is done this way it sets you up for your power infighting. To hit hard from real close comes from your kata done with grenades exploding all the way through your kata. One more reason why I feel kata is so important in our training. After 52 years of Uechi Ryu, I do not do much fighting any more. However, I do a ton of kata and heavy bag work. To maintain your striking ability into your senior years, I recommend this line of training. BUT! ---I still like to fight. ------Happy Trails ---Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: Explosive Uechi Ryu - Fire On Touch

Postby Art Rabesa » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:00 am

Fire on touch simply means to strike as you touch. To strike with the hand you touch with. I did not say grab and strike - I said touch and strike. Because anything you can actually touch, you can hit -- Hard. No pulling off where your fingers are touching. From right there. I've gone over this method of striking before. I go over it quite a lot on my web site. It's close quarter striking at it's highest level. To be able to drive that strike into the target from where it is touching, makes you very dangerous up close. Takes lots of practice of course. Your hand and arm actually do not have much to do with hitting this way. Everyone I teach or train with has seen me strike this way thousands of times. It can be learned with proper mechanics. To hit very hard without taking your fingers from the target is the ultimate infighting want. You can do it if you really study the body mechanics of it. Close quarter combat section and striking section of the web site will get you started. Kind of like having a _________ touch. You can fill in the blank. -------Happy Trails ------Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: Explosive Uechi Ryu - Shoes

Postby Art Rabesa » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:47 pm

How much do you practice with your shoes on? I don't mean your summer flip flops or canvas slip on's. I have a small area in my cellar for my personal training. I have a heavy bag and lots of concrete walls. I try to do some training with shoes on every once in awhile. I like to shuffle a little and drive my leg thrusts into the heavy bag, which I keep just a few inches off the floor. I really like the front thrust with my shoes on. There is no worry about your toes on this one. Of course I'm firing that open hand head strike when my foot lands. The shin thrust remains the same, but I like to drive the toe of my shoe into the bag as well. The stomp thrust really takes off with my shoe digging in deep. The heel of the shoe really grips the heavy bag when it hits. What that does to the human leg will not be pretty. Now please don't think I'm losing it here, but I like to hit the concrete wall with my shoes. Only about half power on the wall. It just makes me feel good when I hit concrete. My wife says I need a shrink. She's been with me for 44 years because she likes living with a crazy person. I think she is the one that needs a shrink. That's why were still together I guess. Anyway!!! Try working out wearing shoes every now and then. It's fun. ------Happy Trails---Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Postby Van Canna » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:58 pm

Hi Art,

You may want to try this kick...Image 8)
Van
Van Canna

PreviousNext

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities