Good talk on blocks

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Re: Good talk on blocks

Postby Van Canna » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:44 am

Dealing with verbal confrontation effectively means standing your ground, getting your point across in a calm, assertive fashion whilst not unduly harming the other persons ego (or starting a fight).

It DOES mean diffusing the situation verbally before it becomes a fight.

It DOES NOT mean walking off in a bad state and pretending you have been the “bigger person” when you know and feel you should have actually said something and its eating you up inside causing you to spend at least an hour before falling asleep staring at the ceiling and questioning your own manhood.

Other symptoms may include waking up at 4 am to repeat this process of insecurity driven “dwelling meditation”.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:45 pm

It is NOT simply and genuinely choosing to not engage the other person in dialogue because they are just a tiny spec in your reality tunnel and without consequence.

That is a valid, but different, response to the issue dealt with on this course.

-Why do we find confronting people verbally a problem?
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:47 pm

Richard Bandler once told me (I was 20 and on my first NLP course) that he thought I was trying to look big and tough but that he knew I was secretly scared and couldn’t even talk to girls I liked.

Damn him and his mind reading, he was absolutely right!

People involved in Self Protection, Martial Arts, Combat Sports and Security can often be very skilled and capable and confident in situations of high risk, but crumble in medium risk confrontational scenarios.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:49 pm

Can you think of an example of a “tough guy” who is scared to say “no” to his wife or girlfriend?
Or really “hard b@$stard” who cant walk over to a girl he likes and introduce himself?
What is the issue here?
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:53 pm

What are some reasons "scrawny" small/skinny people that are agressive against larger opponents aren't viewed as threats?

Is it because they assume they are not armed,knife etc?

Perhaps some people consider because they are small they are easy to beat so they arnt a threat?.....

From what I've dealt with, many had knives and were very, very good with them.

You'd never know they had it until it was in you a few times...if they got within range.

Its a valid concern, and underestimated by many thinking because someone is skinny they arn't a threat

Create distance~obstacles /front kick/draw. Deal with the threat asap if they try to close,and beware of knives always.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:55 pm

Verbal threats of varying degrees like:

1. I'm going to beat you.
2. I'm going to break your fu&*ing neck.
3. Now I'm going to kill you!
4. I'm going to Fu#k you up.

So now what do you do or say?
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:05 pm

The fact that you are armed [gun/knife/spray] means that if you are in a confrontation against an unprovoked unarmed attacker _ means it is an armed confrontation.

You are there armed, thus the armed confrontation.

And the odds are just too great_ that your weapon will be dislodged or taken from you during a fight...because real fights are incredibly physical events, the weapon you carry is not going to stay put. If the bad guy gets it, the consequences would be fatal.

Think of what you need to do here.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:09 pm

First, focusing on the threats made is not good tactics.

Intent is only one part of the test. If intent is there, but means or opportunity aren't, then you don't get to go to your weapon.

Anyone who plans on carrying a weapon has to be prepared to articulate why the other guy had the means, opportunity and intent to do serious damage...thus the weapon being used on him.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:11 pm

What really matters before the court is what a reasonable man would believe not what you would want them to believe based on your particular set of circumstances.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:46 pm

If you carry a gun, you carry at least one other "weapon", that is less than lethal. ...what ever you prefer (and within the laws of your state).

If you carry a gun and you don't carry a less than lethal weapon you are an idiot.

Carrying just a gun is setting yourself up for a huge fall. I don't have time to go into it here, but carrying a less than lethal will be part of your legal defense when you carry a gun. Even if you don't use it.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:48 pm

As the bad guy approaches you should always yell "stop" or "no". Then if you have time say very loud, "I dont' want any trouble" or "Leave me alone".

This is for any witnesses the police will talk to, should it come to that. They will say this guy went after that guy, and that guy was yelling "Leave me alone."

Also if you do get into a fight, especially if your winning you should say (loudly) "Just leave me alone."

Even if you have the guy on the ground stomping his guts out, you say something like this.

Again it's so the witenesses will tell the police this guy kept telling him, "leave me alone." Now you are not seen as the aggressor. You just wanted to be left alone.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:50 pm

Now back to the "non-weapon". This is what you should use on the aggressor. Never use your hands in a fight unless you have to.

I don't care what martial arts you study, or for how long, your hands will never be as effective as a good weapon. Especially if you take the time to train with it.

If the police show up and ask why you used the flashlight (or similar) your answer is, "This guy just attacked me. I wanted him to leave me alone but he wouldn't. I just grabbed the _____ by instinct. I had my gun, but I wasn't going to shoot the guy. He's alright isn't he?"

I'm sure you can see the goal here is to cover your a$$ legally. Because unfortunately we live in a society were even if your right and have done nothing wrong, you can still be punished in court. Such is life.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:52 pm

The witnesses might not now what you know, but the jury has to judge
you according to YOUR standard... Hopefully, you get to explain the
behaviour, present your sources, present your training videos, etc...

I don't think this is a contrived or uncommon situation at all. Actually, I think it is probably the most likely, and the most dangerous, situation someone carrying a concealed pistol can face.

Ayoob discusses this issue in "The Gravest Extreme:"

"When considering the oft-encountered legal rule that a punch or kick does not warrant armed defense, the practical man will do well to realize that these laws have been formulated by judges and legislators who spend their lives in the security of courtrooms and hearing chambers.

It is a rare lawmaker who has ever witnessed or undergone a brutal physical assault. Those Americans who have ... realize just how much damage can be done with hands and feet.

A seasoned street-fighter, or even an amateur in the grip of a savage, murderous impulse, can puncture your eyeballs, crush your testicles, snap your windpipe, break your spine, and cave in your skull in less time than it takes for the scream to choke in your throat.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:55 pm

Speaking practically, one cannot determine whether a punch is aimed or jaw or eye socket, or the kick intended for shin or genitals, until the blow has landed.

The doctrine of 'no weapons against the weaponless' exists for the good reason that it may prevent gunmen from shooting down unarmed men on the pretext of a supposed assault by the latter.

At the same time, the present standard is unrealistic, and in need of alteration.

Some states leave 'reasonable force' open to interpretation, and some of those who do proscribe the use of guns against fists waive the consideration when the assault is particularly savage--but here again, the intensity of the attack will seldom become apparent until potentially crippling damage has been done.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:01 pm

When learning self-defense techniques, remember there are some things a real attacker will probably use:

• An unannounced attack from a person who is larger and stronger than you are.

• A sucker punch, from the rear hand that comes from over the shoulder.

• A grab and yank, often accompanied by a punch.

• A punch that goes through you, with body weight behind it.

• A dive or tackle.

• A shove.

• A hair grab accompanied by a punch or knee.

• A scooping groin kick.

• A blinding array of punches until he or she goes down or wins.

• An instant struggle to grab you again, should you escape the first grab.

• An ongoing effort to keep you off-balance.

• The mass of his or her body bearing on you all the time.
Van
Van Canna

PreviousNext

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities