Good talk on blocks

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Re: Good talk on blocks

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:07 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq7SkeOe-78

This kind of nightmare will take place even if you used your empty hands in self defense and death or serious injury results from the technique you used.

You will be looking at jail time and financial destruction every time you raise your hands upon someone.

There a few things you can do to reduce your exposure to disaster, but only if you are willing to educate yourself.

Don is correct when he talks about the confused state of mind and all the wrong answers that were given. I have seen that happen time and again in my investigations of fatalities.

You just won't be the same person you now think you are following mind bending occurrences.

You now may think that after 50 years of karate training...now an 8th/9th/even 10th Dan ...you will have the fortitude of dealing with mind chaos...

The answer is...you won't...you will feel like you are on an alien planet.

Talking tough will get you nowhere fast other than prison.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:12 am

Under the CCW-SAFE plan ...

A “Recognized Self-Defense Use of Force Incident” is an incident where force is used pursuant to a reasonable belief that use of deadly force is necessary to protect from imminent danger of death or great bodily harm.

This includes any necessary force with all legal weapons and physical force to defend against a life-threatening attack in self-defense.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:15 am

There was a heinous Canadian incident years back where the house of the parents of a friend Uechi-ka was invaded by punks.

The father responded downstairs with a bat, which was taken away from him and used to beat him so bad, he almost died.

Long items inside a home are generally useless for defense as they cannot be handled surely and will be taken away.

Mas Ayoob of LFI doesn't even recommend a shotgun for the same reasons.

LFI [products section] used to carry a “roll up” vest/apron with compartments for handgun, flashlight, cell phone, and knife, I believe.

Mas believes the handgun is the best weapon to have next to you..provided you have been trained to use it well tactically, and legally. Most of us don't. We just buy the gun, go to the range once a year and think we are ready for self defense.

We are also too cheap to spend the money for LFI training.

Anything else is just an invitation to get you killed by determined intruders.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:17 am

momo »

There was a case a couple of years ago in Rockland Mass. where a teen had a bat taken away from him and he was beaten to death with it.

The guilty teen was later raped in prison and snuck up and stabbed his rapist to death in prison.

He's where he should be now.
Plenty more where he came from however.

By the way, he was from another town dating a local girl. That was why he was killed.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:24 am

I do like the idea of having something worthwhile either close or under the bed, but unless you know how to use the weapons or have them close at hand, you just provide your enemy with an automatic arsenal.

Heck, if he goes through your kitchen first before getting to your room, he may not need to bring in a weapon. How many of us have the very nice wedding gift knife set with butcher block sitting on our kitchen counters or maybe have a late snack and leave the paring knife in the sink because we were too tired or too lazy to put it in the dishwasher before going to bed.

There is a specific type of flashlight that literally is blinding which I highly advocate for under the bed. I have never seen a flashlight so bright before. If you aimed that in the would be burglar's eyes, it would be most effective. If he still came at you, he would be temporarily blinded, no doubt. :idea:
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:25 am

More interesting is what is available to criminal as he enters my house. Front door, 1 bo ,1 jo, 20 to 25 knives, sharp and up to 12" long. Back door, 12 gauge.

Think it's time to re think some of my storage solutions :roll: Any criminal entering would be better armed courtesy of me in a flash.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:29 am

Tom Faigle »

I keep a 6D cell Mag lite under the bed. Large enough to light up the neighborhood, and big and heavy enough to hurt someone if I have to strike the with it, but not anywhere near as unruly as a baseball bat. (There's a reason the PG county Md police had to stop carrying this model if I'm not mistaken, something about beating folks with them)

Also have a phone on the nightstand, and the cell charger on the other one. And in a real emergency the panic button to the alarm system is within reach.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:33 am

f.Channell »

I got one of those[.45] Van in my basement. Inherited it from my father in law when he passed away.

One time someone broke in his house through the basement (he never locked it) They drank a couple of beers down there, read his playboys and then came upstairs and stole his boots.

They found some other stuff of his in the yard.

Now he served 3 years in Korea on the front line, was a police officer and hunter, had 17 guns I gave to my wifes uncle which I found in the house after he died and my mother in law asked me to secure.

He always slept with a .45 under his pillow since the war, he was also a marksman in the army with a purple cross.

Now if that guy got away with that while he slept, anyone can.

The guy still doesn't know how lucky he was he didn't wake up.
He definitely would have died.
f.

Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
f.Channell
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:38 am

Learn, learn, learn...

Panther »

While the question isn't directed at me, it makes me uncomfortable and I would advise against any firearm owner answering it. (Or from admitting firearms ownership if they have answered affirmative to the fact of having children living in their home!)

I, and many others, lived most of our childhoods in houses which contained numerous children (truly, by the pediatric definition) and numerous firearms.

The best way to make sure that children are safe around firearms is to teach them how to be safe around firearms... not through any supposed "safe storage" mandate.

(If parents hadn't been required to "lock up their safety", then we'd have more than a few living, breathing children walking around right now rather than in coffins because they were left defenseless as murderous prey.)

Panther
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:43 am

Panther »

Those who specialize in self-defense and who have taken the time to plan for home-defense will look into those instances where home invasions have been successfully thwarted in order to better understand what preparations, precautions and training are needed.

It is important to reiterate that one of the very best recommendations that can be made is to replace all of your flimsy hollow-core interior doors with solid-core, reinforced doors and jambs that have full exterior grade knobs and bolts.

If you don't understand the wisdom of this, go and kick/force open one of the flimsy, interior-grade, hollow-core doors with a simple passage knob and compare that with trying to kick/force open an exterior-grade solid-core door with a full eterior knob and dead-bolt...

That should convince you to make this relatively inexpensive change to your residence. And while it is nice to change all of the doors in your home this way, it is often impractical from an economic standpoint. At the very least, you should chose a room in your house which is the "safe room".

Panther
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:45 am

Panther>>

While the conventional wisdom maintains (correctly) that a handgun is better for clearing a house of invaders, that comes generally from the perspective of those whose job it is to actually clear the house.

Hopefully, the following story will give an idea of why the proper shotgun is a good choice for many homeowners.

Let's look at a purely hypothetical situation and see what precautions and preparations mean to one family:

It is 3AM on an overcast night. Our family lives in a two-story house with the bedrooms upstairs, on the edge of the suburbs, away from any of "those city problems".

A noise startles the Mrs. awake and she nudges awake the slumbering Mr. They listen for a second to assess the situation. Perhaps one of the kids has gotten up and was making noise.

While listening, the Mr slips on his bathrobe, grabs a surefire flashlight & FRS radio, opens the GunVault(tm) and slips the S&W Ti featherweight .38 special into the pocket of his bathrobe. He quietly goes and checks the kids rooms... All present and accounted for.

The sounds are obviously a combination of inside and outside the house. The Mrs hits the extra switches to all the exterior lights that are located in the master bedroom.

Hopefully that will scare away any intruder-wannabes. Unfortunately, amid some muffled cursing and arguing, the lights go out... the power has been cut!

She immediately reaches for the bedside phone only to find that it is deader than a door nail. Their reaction time is limited and getting shorter by the nano-second

Panther
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:47 am

Panther>>

the Mrs calls to her husband on the FRS radio and tells him what's happened. He's in one of the kid's bedrooms and scoops up the youngster, while heading to their teenager's bedroom. When he gets to the doorway, the teenager has already been startled awake and is heading, as drilled, to the master bedroom... the "safe room."

Once back inside the (now) "safe room", the door is locked and dead-bolted. Using a cellphone, the Mrs calls the local police (who are on the phone's speed-dial). The Mr opens the hidden wall-mount homack wall-safe and retrieves the Benelli M3S90 tactical 12 ga.

He places it beside his wife, gives her the S&W Ti (which she slips into her bathrobe pocket) and heads back to the Gun Vault(tm) for the HK USP40F.

Panther
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:48 am

Panther>>

Reaching under the bed, he pulls out a 1.5 million candle-power, fully-charged spotlight. crouches below the window that overlooks the driveway and illuminates the night.

A shot is fired that just misses the spotlight. Then a car starts and squeals tires out of the driveway... Maybe they're gone. No such luck... there is loud yelling and cursing coming from downstairs and the sound of things breaking can be heard.

In the meantime, the Mrs has been talking with the local police dispatch. Her conversation went something like this:

911: Local Police Department, this line is being recorded.

Mrs: This is Mrs {xxx} at ## xxxxxx Street. Someone is breaking into the house.

We need immediate assistance. We have locked the entire family in the master bedroom at the end of the upstairs hallway. We are lawfully armed to defend ourselves.

Panther
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:50 am

Panther>>

911: Officers are on the way. Remain on the line.

Mrs: Of course. Have the officers drive in the driveway upto the garage. When officers arrive, let me know. They're shooting at us! One of them just left in a car... {honey, what kind of car was it?}... My husband couldn't get the plate number, but it appeared to be a dark colored Chevrolet, possibly a Celebrity model... he says it was a boxy 4-door with rectangular tail-lights.

911: Yes ma'am. One of the responding cruisers has turned off in pursuit of that vehicle. It was leaving your street as the officers arrived and sped off.

Mrs: There are more of them in the house!

911: How many are there?

Mrs: Well, I didn't take a census, but there are at least two more, because they are arguing. We assume they're armed and dangerous since their driver was.

911: Two cruisers are in your driveway now and they are going to proceed to the front door. Just go down and let them in...

Mrs: Are you nuts?!?! Tell those officers to get back to their cruisers in the driveway!

Panther
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:51 am

Panther>>

At this point, Mr sees the officers from the lights on their cruisers and calls down to them...

Mr: Officer. I'm upstairs, locked in the master bedroom. I'm throwing you a set of keys on a cylume stick. {breaks the cylume and it illuminates} The keys are labeled... One is for all of the exterior door locks and the other one is for the master bedroom lock.

When you reach the master bedroom knock and announce yourself. If you do not announce yourself, we will assume that the criminals have overpowered you and taken the keys and we will shoot anyone coming through the door!

Officer: Yes sir! I understand. We're coming in NOW!

(Note: You must get the officers acknowledgement to those conditions! If you don't, say them again & again until you do!)

Over the next few tense minutes, the responding officers have a shoot-out with the criminals. One is wounded, one is killed and two are apprehended by the brave officers... One officer is wounded and another one is saved only because of wearing her vest to work that night. An officer heads upstairs to the family.

He pushes open each door and clears each room as he proceeds. When he reaches the end of the hall, the door is locked. He knocks on the door and yells, "Hello {xxx} Family! I'm Officer {zzz} from the {yyy} Police Department! May I unlock and enter the room?"

In unison, the family yells, "Come in!" He unlocks the door and slowly opens it. He is immediately bathed in the light of three flashlights, which quickly turn off amid numerous "thank you's"...

Panther

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Van
Van Canna

PreviousNext

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities