Good talk on blocks

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Re: Good talk on blocks

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:54 am

Panther>>

If you think there is an intruder in your house, you have three chances of safely clearing your house... dumb-@$$ luck, slim and none!

If it is truly a home invasion, you will more than likely die. You are at a disadvantage... The police are also at a disadvantage, but they have the training, equipment and are alert... in the middle of their work day. (meaning they didn't just wake up startled a few minutes ago)

This is what they get paid too little to do! Let the professionals do their job and make your home safe.

DO:

make sure you gather your family in the "safe room'.

assume that the intruder(s) are armed, dangerous and willing to kill you.

call the police even if you think the intruders have left. (if the police don't show up, often intruders will return.)

make sure to relay all the information to the dispatcher.

make sure to tell the dispatcher and officers that you are the good guy and are armed.

make sure to identify anyone entering the "safe room" and take the appropriate action.

DO NOT:

try to clear the house yourself.

call out to or threaten the intruders. (this only gives them the information that there are people in the house and, at least generally, where those people are located.)

assume the intruders have left and then try to clear the house.

make yourself a target (as in this story) by standing in front of a window and drawing attention to yourself. (at least he crouched below the window and peeked over the sill... but had he not done that, the responding officers would have found one of the perps in the driveway. Which leads to... )

let your curiosity get the better of you. (you can find out all the details after everything is over and you & your family are safe!)

be a dead hero... stay alive and keep your family safe.

Panther
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:00 am

Akil Todd Harvey »

Greetings All,

Thanks Panther for your insight......I am living just a few miles northwest of downtown LA in an area known as koreatown and mini el Salvadoran neighborhood (Down town LA is a very desolate a deserted place at night).

We hear automatic gunfire from fairly often (a lot in summer), helicopters flying overhead more often that I may feel comfortable, etc.

While I dont believe in guarentees or certainties, I think it does pay to be prepared....thanks to those who shared about how they dont let gun saftey end when the course is over (that would be foolish).....

By the by, I dont own a gun and am more on the side of meaningful restrictions, but not ones that leave the only guns in the hands of criminals.....Balance.....that is all I seek.....you need a gun to protect yourself....cool, I am down.......

you need to stop a coyote or a bear (or an intruder), down with that too.........I am still trying to figure out though how an assualt trifle is used in hunting (in case you see a FLOCK of deer).......

There is a time and a place for everything (ok, most everything).....see ya....

ATH
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:04 am

RACastanet »

The Marines pretty much carry the knife of their choice. Some have one of the versions of the Ka-Bar and many carry a large folder of some sort. I do not know if they plan to issue any Karambits but doubt it due to the cost. And, without training, it is dangerous to the user.

When it comes to side arms the M9 9mm Beretta is standard issue and that is it. Some of the old .45s are still in the inventory but they are in use by the 'Special Operations Capable' units.

The M9 proved unsatisfactory in Afghanistan and the .45s may have been sent there.

Last summer I was permitted to use my personal firearm, a Kimber 1911 style .45, on the range and must say it had the Marines drooling.

I have yet to hear any Marine complement the M9, but it will not be replaced any time soon.

The aviators are issued a .38 special revolver. Again, it may be because that is what is in the inventory. I do know one aviator that was issued a .357 (but no .357 ammo).

I suspect it would be much better than the 9mm in penetrating heavy winter clothing but is probably not the knockdown round the .45 ACP is.

Also, once in country, many acquire a 'local' weapon, and I do know of a Marine that acquired an Uzi for personal carry.

There are still some M14s out there as well and are coveted in the wide open spaces typical of middle east deserts. However, the M4 (16" barrel version of the M16) is standard issue. like the M9, it proved to be unsatisfactory against a heavily clothed opponent.

There are some 'new' weapons in the inventory that I have not seen. I need to stop by the armory soon and see what they have in there for future conflicts.

It is possible, but very difficult to penetrate the Kevlar flack jackets with a blade.

It can be done but even with a bayonet thrust it takes a lot of power. The neck and groin are the primary targets for a blade in combat.

Regards, Rich
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:19 am

The smart way to train:

Sometimes
this takes the form of a simultaneous block and counter, sometimes
it takes the form of what a fencer would call a "stop hit", sometimes
it is a "block" which is *really* a limb destruction technique or
an unbalancing/throwing technique, and sometimes it takes the form of
avoiding the attack with body shifting.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:27 pm

The Alibi

Heated discussion now going on the Italian martial arts News group...very..very heated..

Two martial arts friends from the same dojo go out on the town for the evening.

One is driving his BMW; the other is a passenger in the right front seat.

They get cutoff by an irate driver and jammed up against the curb.

The irate driver jumps out, starts to spit at the left driver’s window of the BMW, kicks and punches the sheet metal of the left door and hood, leaving large dents, and challenges the driver or passenger to get out.

They don’t. They cannot move the BMW forward or backward, and remain inside frozen with fear.

The madman cracks the windshield with a hammer fist and takes off calling them yellow cowards.

They go home, feeling less than men, they stop going to the dojo after the taunts of the classmates, and try to cope with a number of alibis as to why they did not react.

~~~~
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Here is a comment:

the most common characteristic of people is that of considering themselves as something extremely important and indispensable, thus, in every activity the dominant thought is “how will I gain from this”

The more they feed and enlarge their “ego”, the more, in reality, they isolate and weaken themselves, finding themselves “crushed” by their fears.

The image of the driver or passenger choosing to remain locked in the car, even as they felt the need to at least get out and ask for an “explanation” __ but now immobilized into “victim” status.

Either victim of others or of the self. Take your pick.

Considering the likely consequences of a fight if you get out of the car...what is the best choice?
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:34 pm

The two were subjected to taunts from non martial arts friends as well.

So you are really dealing with the "human factor" in and out of the dojo.

In fact one the problems being discussed is how to cope with the "shame" they feel when looked down upon by the circle of their "regular friends".

Imagine you in the same predicament. Would you really expect people to understand that what you did was the tactically and legally sound thing to do?

Because those guys feel they have died inside.

So you get out get into a fight...you may end up dead or in jail.

But how do you sleep nights?
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:37 pm

Laird>>

Violence is surrounded with an incredible amount of baggage.

The baggage for not engaging is every bit as harmful as the baggage that builds up with living around constant violence. It can eat at your soul

I don't discuss MA's with none MA people ....their expectations are unrealistic...
---------------
We are supposed to clear buildings in a single leap and be super human fighting machines.

Funny thing is when you do engage, then you become a "F"in animal.
Point is your dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

We are the one who have to live with the consequences we get to carry the baggage of violence with us.

I guess I pretty much feel the hell with what folks sitting on the outside looking in think. They won't help with the baggage they just hand you more to carry.

Laird
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:39 pm

Don Rearic »

More people need to know that "Real Men" and especially "Real Bad Men" look the same when the Trauma Surgeon has his arm up to the elbow in their armpit in the OR.

Does not matter if you are innocent Citizen, Police Officer or Bank Robber it all looks the same to the Surgeon.

This place is a very thought provoking place. I know that this way of thinking is certainly not a rarity.

They did the right thing and they should not be taunted for it. But you know how that goes...

Stultorum infinitus est numerus

Don Rearic
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:40 pm

Even more insidious are the expectations one sets for himself subliminally… expectations that set us up for catastrophic failures at times. What’s to blame for this?

Maybe it is the gi's fault.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:42 pm

newguy »

Even more insidious are the expectations one sets for himself subliminally… expectations that set us up for catastrophic failures at times. What’s to blame for this?

My $0.02:

1. First person(s) to blame for unrealistic expectations? Themselves. Maybe that's harsh - but the information is out there if you have the will to seek it.

2. Seond person(s) - their teacher(s). If they were indeed taunted by their Dojo mates then I would hazard a guess that what's being taught in there is not necessarily reality based.

"Dying ain't much of a living boy." J. Wales

newguy
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:45 pm

NEB »

I'm curious about one thing. We know how these two men's fellow students reacted to them, but what about their sensei?

What instruction and/or guidance did they receive from the one who is responsible for telling them what to do in that situation?

Not that your teacher is in charge of making your decisions for you, but they should have something to say about it.

Like, "When taken over by a gripping, almost incapacitating fear, here are some pointers..."

Because part of learning to fight is learning TO fight.

MHO

nb
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:56 pm

CANDANeh »

The irate driver jumps out, starts to spit at the left driver's window of the BMW, kicks and punches the sheet metal of the left door and hood, leaving large dents, and challenges the driver or passenger to get out.

He was the predator they became the prey. Two against one put him as a poor predator and he should have failed.

But, he knew the typical owners of such cars were well socialized, unlike some of us who drive pickups with bumper stickers "at least it is paid for" or :wink: " My wife? Yes. My dog? Maybe. My Dodge? Never!

"he would have the edge in his pumped up state. (he was one frame ahead of them). The words "Lets get him!" could have changed the outcome by realizing it was an attack against two not one.

"Battle cries" are meant to unite the group IMHO. It was needed in this case to shake them from their isolation. No one started to beat the war drum.

CANDANeh
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:00 pm

CANDANeh »

Now, if they would have accepted the fact that the attacker was an idiot and agreed the best action was none, that`s better for the self confidence. I have backed down from individuals and it was a choice with no excusses. Therefore, in my mind I won.

I have fought and failed but it is fine as I learned from it well and was not "prey". I refuse to be treated as prey as it would destroy the person I have to live with which is me.

However, there are times to stand down as any wise "predator" should in order to survive.

Standing down should not rip your heart out, instead it can encourage you to be stronger_ "live to fight another day" .

You cut me off, you smashed my car and I assumed you must be armed...

but I followed you home_ you seen me drive past smiling as you get out of your car.

Your heart beats in your head and you fumble your keys_ you led me to your den..sleep well :twisted:
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:03 pm

Good point...if you are being followed....never go home...do go to any police station you know...or do go into a shopping mall parking lot...

or call 911 on the cell phone and tell them you are being followed by a maniac.
Van
Van Canna

PreviousNext

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities