Good talk on blocks

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Re: Good talk on blocks

Postby Van Canna » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:27 am

The late Col Jeff Cooper clearly captured the essence of immediate thinking – positive action in the face of a threat.

As you train…if you think only in terms of defensive action and positioning …. You will be locked in defensive/reactive mode waiting for the bad guys to make their next move… this can become compounded by the way we train.

Why? Because probably no dojo instructor has ever shown you how to recognize the clues of when an attack is stalking you… is incipient or it has already begun….and to attack in a force continuum action to ‘solve the damn problem’ in accordance to valid moral and legal standards…
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:28 am

It should make no difference to you how hard you can hit…or how tough your opponents are or seem to be…you should, of course, study karate to become very proficient in its art form and in the many ways karate shapes your body and mind.

But if you are really serious about surviving violence…you need to get serious about the ‘continuum’ _ and ‘polishing’ the ‘tip of your spear’ _

You also need to understand a very simple fact of life: you don’t survive violence by reacting with good technique…

You survive by ‘pre-empting - countering’ once you have learned to sense an incipient attack and are unable to evade.

As you move to counter your concern is ‘results’ even if your move is feeble… or 'cocktail impaired' _
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:32 am

People possess a central nervous system that is
extremely vulnerable to judicious trauma you take to it....
by the appropriate weapon, your physical limitations notwithstanding.

You should train to ‘care less’ how big and strong and dangerous your enemy about to face you really is…because you have mindset to bury him in ‘his tracks’ before he is able to make his move... this is how you survive...if you are all about waiting for a strike so you can block and counter...you are already dead but don't know it yet.

This ‘countering’ concept is one that befuddles so many people because of personal, social and legal ‘brakes’ _
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:35 am

wes tasker »

I'll take a stab at this... My first thoughts are that Ability stands for having the abilities to stop the immediate threat at hand.

These abilities can range from the physical (having the mechanics to hurt someone with a strike, lock, etc.), mental (being able to diffuse with verbal tactics and the "mindset" to do what is necessary to nullify the threat)

and spiritual (for lack of a better word) where one is set on repercussions etc. of violence (as much as one can be without having been through it...). I would also include the whole range of the scenario being pre-conlict indicators (assuming it's not an ambush), the conflict itself up to resolution, and post-conflict strategy.

Examples could range all the way from verbally diffusing a situation, picking up on pre-assault cues and knocking the guy out and down and using Nike-fu, to using more "serious" force in the case of ambush, weapons, and/or mutliple attackers.

Lastly, within the triangle that Van Canna Sensei mentioned: Ability - Opportunity - Jeopardy, I see not distinct lines between them, but rather nebulous borders that have each feeding into the others as a necesary whole.

-wes tasker
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:36 am

wes tasker »

Interesting.... I just researched the triad and found that it refers to "justified use of force". When I read it at first and typed my first response I was looking at the triad from the point of view of the first-person rather than the attacker.

I've been thinking about that and it seems that my ideas of when I am justified in defending myself with force meet those criteria - I just have them "defined" to myself differently and the triad seemed to fit well into a model of defining the abilities needed to respond etc.

Interesting "prod" from Van Canna Sensei that got me thinking.... Thank you.

-wes tasker
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:40 am

Self Defense Law and the Martial Artist
by Peter Hobart, Esq.

Martial arts teachers’ liability:
Under the Theory of Agency, the principal is liable for unlawful acts which he causes to be done through an agent.

There are three possible ways in which a martial arts instructor might be held liable as the principal for the unlawful acts of his students, as agents. First, if the instructor appears to ratify or approve of unlawful conduct, he may be held liable for the commission of such acts.

Thus, a dojo which encourages the use of excessive force, or lethal force in inappropriate situations may be seen to ratify and approve of unlawful conduct.

Similarly, an instructor who continues to teach a student who has abused his knowledge may be held responsible, if not liable, for subsequent torts.

Second, an instructor may be held liable for having entrusted a student with ‘an extremely dangerous instrumentality’. "[W]hen an instrumentality passes from the control of a person, his responsibility for injuries inflicted by it ceases.

However, when an injury is caused by an exceptionally dangerous instrumentality, or one which may be dangerous if improperly used, a former owner or possessor may ... be charged with responsibility for [its] use...."

The implications for instructors who teach potentially lethal techniques is clear.

Finally, an instructor may be liable for harm to the student or other parties as a result of negligent instruction.

Anyone who holds himself out as an expert capable of giving instruction is expected to conform to the standards of his professional community.

Thus, any instructor who, by his own negligence, fails to provide, teach and require adequate safe-guards and supervision, may be liable for any resulting injury.

We walk a fine line between the grave, financial ruin and the jail cell.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:43 pm

Road kill

It's hard to understand sometimes why you have suddenly been targeted by a driver with road rage.

You could have accidentally cut someone off because they tried to pass you in an outside lane, a blind spot. Usually this person is speeding up to get by you. In my case, it was someone rushing to get to an off-ramp to a Michigan interstate - the one I almost missed until my wife pointed it out.

I turned into the exit lane to hear screeching tires and a honking horn. I became distraught that an accident had almost occurred and began to slow down to see what was happening.

At this point, the offended driver sped up and began to tailgate me. His gestures and facial expressions gave me to know he was extremely angry. I had no recourse but to continue to the interstate so I wouldn't hold up traffic.

Once on the interstate, the man wildly drove around to get alongside me. He was gesturing and adamant that I pull over. My wife said "you better do what he says." But I would not. You hear enough stories about people getting shot at after these episodes. I wasn't about to put us in danger.

The first thing I did was mouth the words 'I'm sorry' with my best repentant expression. But this did not discourage him from continuing his gesticulations, angrily pointing to exit ramps that I passed. I tried apologizing one more time, hoping he'd give up but could see it was no use. So I nodded my head in agreement.

By this time we had gone about five miles. I had hoped this man had better things to do and would tire of our silent negotiations. When the next exit came, I had no intention of pulling over.

My speed was as high as the speed limit would allow on my approach. He was tailgating me as I expected. As I got onto the ramp, I knew I only had one chance to lose him. Now that I had his trust I would pull over, I pulled back onto the interstate at the very last moment. He didn't have time to react and had to continue his exit.

I knew he could cross over the road ahead to get to the next off-ramp to pursue again. I wasn't going to wait. I high-tailed it out of there and drove as fast as I could, but I got caught by a cop.

I never felt more relieved. Having informed the officer of our flight from the road rager, we were free to go. We were traveling out of state at the time and glad that things worked out the way they did.

I've had similar incidents involving hot-headed types that would sidle alongside and gesture. I do not make eye contact. I slow to let them pass. Some like to tailgate anyway.

But I find the longer you drive, the more tired they become of the chase. But I will never get out of my car for anyone. No one should. And if you can call police when you feel you are being threatened, don't hesitate to dial 911.

Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:33 am

Bittenbinder has some good points and we shall look at them. But La Fond is my favorite for insights on real violence.

BB

"Sharks are remarkable killing machines. But even a shark does not come by at 35 miles per hour and snap somebody's head off. The shark bumps his prey and then comes back around to take it. Well, that's just how these guys do it on the street. Except the bump is not physical, it's verbal - Got a cigarette? Where is Clark Street?"

Most important as you train in whatever you do, when it comes to street violence, is that most of the ones who will attack you must first sense a predatory/prey relationship with you before they act upon their violent impulses.

This is the real key in understanding self preservation; don’t call it self defense…. [SD] is a misnomer as we shall see.

And this component is what makes your personal image and subliminal ‘projections’ as important as your actions in the crucial moments.

Real violence is more predatory than what you will ever believe or trained to believe.

Treasure your tattoos because some punk will have a mind to cut it off you.

A survival encounter
will be something totally foreign to your sensibilities.

Forget the ‘one on one’ dreams.

We have discussed the group attack upon some of our Uechi brothers in the past, senseless, ambushing violence _ out of the deep mantle of the night …overwhelming and unforgiving.

Drugs and booze are the prime impulses at work in the likelihood that violence will haunt your life.

Another motivation for group attacks is the reinforcing of ‘group identity’ at the expense of an ‘outsider’ _ be wary of finding yourself in the jaws of a neighborhood with strong ethnic group identity.

So this brings us back to what TSD wrote about strolling unknown city blocks and the image you project.

It is easier to hate someone who doesn’t belong and even easier to hurt someone you hate.

And if you ‘don’t belong’ expect ‘bystanders’ [birds of a feather] to join in and stomp you into the pavement.

Something else most of us don’t think about:

Sexual envy is also a strong motivator for senseless attacks upon handsome guys, well built, different, and or any guy with a good looking woman out on a date while some trash in some rusty pick up truck is just about invisible to women.

These types of attacks, in particular, tend to be excessively brutal.

Look out for those pick up trucks if you drive a snazzy convertible with a good looking woman next to you.

How to look like a ‘tough target’ in you car _ to trash bags driving and occupying pick ups?

Can you profile most of the men who will express sexual frustration through violence?

Go out into town any day…then get back here and tell us this:

1. How many ‘able bodied men’ encountered?
2. How many ‘curious’ men encountered?
3. How many threatening men encountered?

~~

How many people on a train or bus carry smoldering emotional grenades with them?

Where is the best place to sit in a commuter train?

Are you really comfortable with a weapon on you?

Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:36 am

Let’s see

"Guns don't work because people don't use them. They understand the finality of the thing they do. If they shoot, this act cannot be changed, undone or erased, or altered in any way - so intelligent people hesitate.

And the bad guy grabs that gun and he pops you with it - because he does not hesitate. Now we got somebody in the ground and the goof got the gun."

I know the American Rifleman reports, every month, the countless events of people using/showing firearms in successful self protection.

No problem, right?

The reasons for attacks are mind boggling.

Can you think of your 'tactical’ as a pedestrian?
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:37 am

Brockton's murder rate is again on the rise, igniting fears of a new crime wave and reengaging activists such as Spears and Fernandes.

Brockton has recorded 11 murders this year, putting the city on pace to surpass its record of 15 homicides, set in 1993. To date this year, the city has a higher per capita murder rate than Boston.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:39 am

Reality is circumstantial and subjective. Consider your lifestyle, your body type, your most likely environment you must operate in, your preconditioned beliefs, your righteousness, your inner fears, your attire, and the personality other people sense about you in all you do every day of your life.

‘The street ‘is a broad modern concept of mythological significance that has little bearing on the subject ‘of survival fighting’_

The most dangerous thing on the road, is your grandma cruising to the pharmacy in her Buick.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:42 am

Some hard realities:

1. Most maiming occurs on the floor or sidewalk.

2. Non weapon deaths occur primarily from heart failure among middle aged men, knockdowns that drive the head into the pavement, and kicks to the head of a prone defender.

3. When facing a truly dangerous adversary motivated by bad intentions, don’t expect perfect results. The resolution satisfactory to you or not_ may well be unsatisfactory to others.

4. Expect plenty of Monday morning quarterbacking. If you are a man, those who say ‘I would have done this or that’ will outnumber those who say ‘I wish I was there with you”

5. Preparation for weak opposition is preparation for failure.

6. Serious violence results in serious consequences.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:43 am

As a tough target you want to be free of domination_ handing over your lunch money to an upper classman, your wallet and self respect to a punk on the commuter rail, your parking space to a fat f@k## coworker_ your mother’s jewelry to your coke_ head boyfriend.

Under the threat of force all these actions tend to dull life’s luster as you hand over your matchbox cars to the punks in wait.

Maintaining your personal freedom can get real physical.

Lives are more often limited by threat than ended by force.

You have had it with threats and want to be able to deal with the force without a bus tour to hell and back.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:45 am

Tough target...Eh..

Can you visualize yourself fighting for survival instead of beating on a rubber dummy in your dojo?

Do you like the idea of really hurting some punk that cut you off on the freeway?

Are your emotional buttons easily pressed?

Do you fantasize beating the crap out of someone who really deserves it, then shoving his head into the toilet and flushing it?

Do you just want to kick some ass as you are out and about seeing some ##### head rubbing your sensibilities the wrong way?

Are you pleased with your answers?
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:50 am

look at the scum of the streets in Boston these days..

Fielding more calls, city EMTs often attacked, injured
By David Abel, Globe Staff |

One had his nose broken four times. Another was attacked with cinder blocks dropped off the roof of a housing project. Others have been stabbed with drug-filled syringes, chased by dogs, and strafed by gunfire after arriving at crime scenes before the shooting stopped.

Boston's emergency medical technicians, who often run red lights and speed through the opposite lane of traffic to save lives, are trained to confront broken bones and cardiac arrest.

But EMTs, who are responding to more calls each year, often become victims themselves as they face Boston's rampant street violence without the guns, mace, and nightsticks that police officers carry.

Last year, 28 percent of the 193 injuries suffered by city EMTs were the result of violence, a figure that has held constant over the past five years, according to Boston Emergency Medical Services. This year EMTs have been injured in 24 attacks.

Since 1994, four EMTs have left the department as a result of injuries from violence.

Nationally, no one tracks the number of EMTs and paramedics -- highly trained EMTs -- injured in violence on the job, but the National EMS Memorial Service, a volunteer group in Virginia, said 30 EMTs have died because of violence since 1993, 14 of them while responding to the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.

Van
Van Canna

PreviousNext

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities