Good talk on blocks

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Re: Good talk on blocks

Postby Van Canna » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:00 pm

Third is knowing the difference between social and asocial violence (see above link). When what you have done should have de-escalated social violence and the problem persists, then what you are facing is not normal social conflict.

That's a game changer. This is an important step in formulating your use of force decision.

Fourth, you are likely to encounter a strange paradox. The willingness to use force often means you don't have to -- especially against potential asocial violence.

That 'mental shift' in the previous step often results in a person changing the behavior that was making it necessary to shoot him in defense of yourself.

The immediate threat evaporates removing the need to use force. You must be able to recognize this shift in circumstances and be able to stand down; otherwise you cross the line and become the aggressor.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:02 pm

Fifth and finally by understanding these dynamics you can 'scale your force' to appropriate levels -- even during the heat of the moment.

Scaled force makes it much easier for your attorney to defend you. (http://www.amazon.com/Scaling-Force-Dyn ... 1594392501)

This has just been an introduction to a much larger world than just what gun you carry or what deadly martial art system you know.

There are many links to follow and subjects to investigate. Get yourself a cup of coffee, you have some more reading to do.
M

http://www.marcmacyoung.com/
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:05 pm

Alain Burrese has a story about having to explain to a guy -- who WAS attacked -- why he was being charged with aggravated assault. "Look I understand he attacked you. That's not what you're being charged for.

When you knocked him down, that was self-defense. But when you started kicking when he was down, that wasn't self-defense. That's why you're being charged." (Of course it didn't help that the defendant told the cops 'I wanted to get my licks in'.)

How do we learn -- much less teach our students -- how to not give into to the impulse to punish the guy? This especially in light of the legal aftermath of violence? A place where such behavior is going to screw you royally.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:13 pm

Gabe Suarez
Unless one makes it a habit to frequent biker bars with underage coke whores and get smashed on Everclear before getting in the gunfight, I suspect most readers here will be going about their day and their business when their path coincidentally crosses that of the bad guy. The bad guy doing bad guy things and the good guy minding his owm business.

And the good guy killing the bad guy. The police are not stupid and they will have an idea of what took place...as well as who the bad guy really was. But YOU HAVE TO HELP THEM ARRIVE AT THOSE FINAL CONCLUSONS with what you say...and you will in fact have to say something to guide the investigation down the desired road.

The Homicide Investigator also knows what happened and has heard it all. The Thick Necked, Heavy Muscled Greg Nichols lookalike saying calmly - "I vas in fear of my life" as he shifts the toothpick to and from in his mouth is easily seen as having a false narrative. But the overly emotional dude literally pissing himself in grief over the event is not the answer either. A calm and controlled approach prevails.

A matter of fact statement of "Officer, that guy (pointing to the dead guy if you did your job) tried to kill me and everyone in this office. I saw him point his gun and I knew he was going to do it.

I was afraid that if I didn't take action, we would all die". That works. Denying fear, or grovelling in fear will both fail and make you look stupid or at least will require additional scrutiny.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:28 am

They say there is no first attack in karate. People get confused about what this means.

The Japanese believe the first attack occurs when your opponent makes the decision to attack you.

If you step in and attack at this moment before they have even moved, their mind is on their attack not their defense.

That is an opening for you. They call it "Sen".

According to this...if you wait for the opponent to throw the first punch, after he has made the decision to attack you, so you can block it...you have just committed suicide...because action will beat reaction every time.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:29 am

This is what I teach my guys. It sounds like "use the force, Luke", but it's true. If you're paying attention, you can see someone's intent...that exact moment that they decide to attack.

And there is a lag between when they decide and when they actually move. The better someone is, the shorter the lag. The best guys have no lag at all.

This is a good example of the benefits of good martial art training. Recognizing intent is FAR more important than any specific technique set.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:32 am

Gabe Suarez
Fighting, real fighting, is not a matched opponent in a ring with a set of rules. Sure that has value, but its not real fighting. The fighters will agree mutually when to start and agree to the rules, etc.

One man is not going to pull a blade and stab the other man in the rectum when he is caught in an arm bar. Nor push the other man into traffic nor off a balcony.

And there will be no sucker punches, additional adversaries, nor any of that stuff. So just like I have said...which dog do you want to chase...because you won't catch them both.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:29 am

“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:54 am

Good way to generate power hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IltICloGVI0
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:56 am

Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:15 pm

Dealing With The Media – The Social Aftermath

“Lights! Camera! OK, nothing more to see here folks!”

•I view media, especially the main stream media, as either “The Good, The Bad, Or The Ugly”. Most, you will find, tends to fit into the latter when it comes to a defensive shooting event from an armed citizen.

•You will find that many reporters will ultimately invade your space, your property, and may sometimes get in your face, or in the face of your family or friends.

•Say nothing to them. Or if you do, remain calm and ask them to remove themselves from your property, or your face. Do not go “on-the-air” answering their questions.

•Ask your family and friends not to talk to the media. Ask the media to respect yours and your family’s privacy.

•If there is no story, no interviews for the media, then they will leave in search of another story to report.

•Do not ever threaten them. I assure you it will end up on every news station.

•If you continue to get calls on your phone from the media, file a harassment report with the police.
•Call the police if they are persistent.

•Say nothing to them, and just hang up.

•Also, watch what you comment on, or respond to on your Facebook, Twitter, email or any other social media or online forum.

* Above all, if you think someday you might be involved in a violent self defense situation, remove as much as you can of your 'persona' from facebook. Posting pictures of yourself on the web is not a good idea, as you will be pre-judged just by the way you look.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:43 am

The purpose designed tourniquet is great, but you should also know how to devise a field expedient tourniquet. Tourniquets are made up of two basic parts...the cuff and the windlass.

It works by fully encircling an appendage and then closing tightly around it, either by the twisting of the windlass (a stick or something similar that tightens the unit) or by some other mechanical means.

As the tourniquet tightens, it presses the blood vessels (arteries and veins) against the bone causing them to become occluded, thereby stopping the flow of blood to the areas below where the tourniquet is applied.

In a “tactical” situation if you have significant bleeding coming from an extremity wound, immediately apply a tourniquet and stop the bleeding soonest!

Apply the tourniquet as high up on the injured extremity as possible to ensure that you occlude all of the bleeding. This practice provides the fastest and easiest extremity hemorrhage control.

Any wide and long strip of strong cloth, such as a bandana or torn table cloth can be used as the basis of a tourniquet.

And for a windlass things like screwdrivers, flashlights, snap-links, even table forks can be used successfully.

At a minimum the material should be twistable and at least 1 inch wide. The material must be long enough to tie around the affected extremity, with some way to secure the windlass.

So for example, in the Orlando Jihad Murder Event, a successful counter terrorist that has now transitioned roles to care for the wounded would have a vast supply of table cloths, table implements, and such material to apply tourniquets to the wounded while the EMS people got into action.
Suarez
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:47 am

At a recent wilderness first aid class we were taught to always apply the tourniquet as high up the leg or arm, no matter where the bleed is. If you can get a person to an E.R within 8 hrs, the extremity can be saved. Past that point you might lose the limb but still have your life.

We were also taught about a technique of kneeling on the brachial or femoral artery occluding the blood flow while still having your hands free to work on the victim. Very good stuff if there are multiple injuries!

I highly encourage all to take a wilderness survival class. Treating shock now does NOT involve elevating the legs (proven to be ineffective now) but just using a blanket to prevent the victims heat loss. Good stuff.

Recently there was a man in AZ that flipped his jeep off roading and a man and his son left him to get help and cell service. He had a bleed on his arm that involved the brachial artery.

He ended up bleeding to death by the time the others walked off to get cell service to bring the Calvary. A life that could have been saved with a tourniquet or impromptu tourniquet and some knowledge about how to use one.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:54 am

Unless you are mainlining Valium, you are beginning to feel the effects of Adrenaline. Its not a bad thing and I have felt it many times.

I know it for what it is, a strengthening that causes apprehension in the uneducated. It allows you to fight harder, move faster, and be stronger.

But these are not free of charge. The cost is the limbs tend to tremble and finger dexterity is lessened.

The sports agitation competitors feel is not at all the same.

If you shoot a match poorly, or you are defeated in a sparring match, you lose your ego. Yes, ego is a huge motivator...but it heals quickly.

If you screw up in a fight, you die and those you are protecting die.

THAT is real and knowing the reality of that creates a vastly different perspective.

And I will tell you something else...any so-called "professional" that tells you that he does not feel the adrenaline in the system is either,

a). Lying to you,
b). Lying about his operational experience,
c). On drugs.
Suarez
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:48 am

82 Year Old Woman Killed !!

Mills75 »

I guess sadly a story like this one is not all that uncommon in todays society but recently in the Pittsburgh area an 82 year old woman was beaten and had her throat slit by her 15 yr old neighbor.

After the attack he just left her on the floor to die. She was found on the floor later the same day of the attack and struggled for her life in a local hospital but she didn't make it.

I'm not a bad person but any animal that could do that needs to just be taken out in a field and asked to dig his own ditch then the cops should fire a few in the back of his evil head to put him out of his misery and let him slump in his hole. Cover him up and forget about it. I truly hate to say that as a caring human being but how could anyone so twisted possibly be of any value to this world ?

God bless the poor woman.

I guess this is the very reason I am always so shocked to my core when you see people out there in the world screaming about pacifisim and how we should be kinder and gentler to all. I feel we also should be kind and gentle but only to the kind and gentle and not to the EVIL.

I do believe wholeheartedly that there is evil in the world. The naive and frightened ones try to block it out as if it doesn't exist. They pretend it's not out there cause it's to hard to deal with.

They hate the people who acknowledge the truth and talk about the big bad wolf who might one day come for them. It reminds them that they are unprepared and unwilling to accept that there is evil in the world.

They never accept the real threat of violence and the real threat of evil people until the evil is at the gate and then they look for someone to help them.

Pacifism doesn't seem like such a sweet option when a fifteen year old maniac is ready to slit your throat.

I believe these naive people feel they are being godlike by not responding to violence. They feel allowing their loved ones to be slaughtered while they stand helplessly makes them somehow superior.

I feel if you look in the bible there is much to prove that even God himself deals out punishment and unleashes his wrath upon Evil. So the pacifist is not superior or Godlike but really is naive and unprepared.

This is not a perfect world and again that's simple truth from the bible and there is good and evil here. There is free will that God allows also to make the choice in all matters of this world.

Some idiots might say that it's meant to be and it's God will if you run into a gang of people wanting to murder you. I say God would never put anyone in such a place and it was your free will that lead you to this place as it should be your free will to kill the bastards looking to harm you and your family.

In my view it's not you just looking to harm someone in this case it would be you protecting the innocent and putting a stop to evil.

The perfect world is Heaven if we're fortunate enough to make it there and this Earth is not Heaven and never can be no matter how hard we try. It's noble to try and make the world better and more peaceful of course but you must always recognize that we can never rid this world of evil.

That's God's job and we can't do that. It says thou shalt not kill in the bible but I believe that means thou shalt not kill the pure and the good. I believe that you can defend your life and your families and destory evil that comes your way without provocation.

You could ask how as a man do I feel justified then to judge who is good and who is evil? To me that question is a simple one to answer. The good man won't try to slit my throat and that's how I tell the difference.

People can place themselves upon a pedestal and act holier than thou when it comes to violence. They can hide their heads in the sand and allow good people to be killed and themselves and their families to be killed.

They could also choose to act and prepare and defend themselves and the innocent and their families. They could choose to acknowledge that there is evil instead of hiding from it and hoping it never comes.

What does the pacifist and do-gooder do when violence knocks? They either die or scream for help from the people they ridicule and try to act superior to.

I say put away your flower power 1960's garbage and comprehend that there are 15 year olds in the world who will come into your house and cut your grandmothers throat then go for ice cream afterwards without giving it a seconds thought.

When it's your turn do you want to react with a hug for this person or a bullet with extreme prejudice? Think about it before you criticize others and get up on your throne of superiority.

Wake up from your dream of Utopia and realize that among the flowers in this world there are plenty of weeds. Just because you pay more attention to the flowers doesn't mean the weeds don't exist.

Jeff
Van
Van Canna

PreviousNext

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities