Good talk on blocks

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Re: Good talk on blocks

Postby fivedragons » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:28 am

Without knowing anything whatsoever about what actually happened here, I have some thoughts.

1) There is the question of what was said. No one knows. I don't know who this person with the cell phone is, or what he contributed (if anything) to the situation. For all I know, he could have insulted the woman in a sexist and/or racist manner. For that matter, why did he feel the need to say anything at all? Who does he think he is? :lol:

2) The big bad man did not have criminal or predatory intent in this situation. He is a big man who is obviously reacting to whatever the hell was going on between cell phone guy and his woman. It is obvious that he could have done much more damage if he wanted to. Once he assaulted cell phone guy, he stepped over the legal and moral line.

3) The body language of cell phone guy could be construed as insulting by the big bad man, because whether from fear or not, he would not look him in the eye and address him as an equal.

4) Depending on what actually took place, I could see myself siding with either person. Just because someone is big, doesn't mean they don't have the right to be human. I don't condone violence, but as I said I wasn't there. What if the dude with the cell phone threatened violence to the woman? It is a hollow exercise to pretend we know anything about this.

5) Big strong men can be hurt.
fivedragons

Postby Van Canna » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:25 pm

Sensible observations 5D_they reinforce the fact that bad ugly things can happen to any of us anywhere and for any reason impossible to foresee...mostly related to emotional high-jacking.[Goleman]

There is another problem to be cognizant of and that is the trap of Self-righteousness
(also called sanctimoniousness, sententiousness, and holier-than-thou attitudes[1]) is a feeling or display of (usually smug) moral superiority[2] derived from a sense that one's beliefs, actions, or affiliations are of greater virtue than those of the average person. Self-righteous individuals are often intolerant of the opinions and behaviors of others.

We have seen some examples of this here on my forum over the years, and it is an affliction that eventually leads to alienation and self destruction in subtle ways.

I am with 5d that the phone guy exhibited some insulting behavior, aside from the fact he opened his big mouth...maybe operant conditioning of excess cell phone use.

We see examples of these 'holier than thou' jerks everywhere we look if we pay attention.
Van
Van Canna

Postby gmattson » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:22 pm

GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
gmattson
Site Admin

Postby Van Canna » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:38 am

Tony is a good man and a passionate researcher deserving much respect.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:55 am

Here's another pizza joint fight in Chicago.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=289_1365871531

It is good to pay attention to these events because that's where our real life fights are likely to happen.

And by watching we learn about not to be delusive about our karate abilities.

A similar situation like you see here happened in the restaurant of a dear friend Uechi-ka ...not too long ago...where some really huge guy attacked someone at a table with incredible violence.

Be careful not to fall in the clutch of an enraged bear. Overconfidence kills.

Always keep in mind that size really does matter. A bigger opponent can inflict much damage because of heavier, stronger blows that will go right thru your blocks or guard like a knife thru butter.

Look out for a possible overhead punch with a circular path coming from above-level of the head sinking down into your temple area. This type of punch will come at you from your 'blind spot' with incredible power.

Watch Jim Maloney throw one of these.

Blocks are a 'must learn' and a 'must practice' in our Uechi curriculum...as deflections and as attacks[attacking the attack] but always keep in mind that when you are facing an opponent about to punch you...it is extremely difficult to read the type of punch or attack he intends to use for you to 'pluck it'...

Beware of punches we don't practice to block or intercept...such as uppercuts/hooks _to the sides of your face...your solar plexus, chin, liver and kidneys...

Practice side-stepping/offline moves to find unusual awkward angles to parry/intercept and spin out of an opponent's inside range...practice drills at close range-to distance finding...always try to avoid rooting in front of your adversary where you will remain more predictable.

However, it takes a lot of training and practice to acquire this skill...the main reason why I dedicate most of my class to offline drills in parries and spins.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:13 pm

Remember that despite your training, fighting toe to toe with a big heavy opponent, as we see in the clip, is way too risky and courting disaster.

To practice to cover and evade, as Stryke points out, is good training, as
evasiveness is the one of the most important attributes. Run if you get an opportunity.

Training with the right is an excellent training tool to develop your evasive speed ... rapid striking and other critical concepts of avoiding getting slammed by a good puncher on the street.

John Hwee sensei, who works out at our dojo with Fedele, most weeks, recommended a particular type of bag that he eventually purchased and put together in the dojo...he has a similar one in his Chinatown dojo...where he teaches some extremely interesting drills with this bag.

Such a bag should complement the Bob dummy drills, and bag on the floor drills to develop striking speed, power shots with your low hooking and stomping kicks.

Think 'speed' as quickness of the footwork as well as striking speed.
We need to develop the ability to glide inside and outside the fighting range with ease.

The art of counter striking really refers to the ability to hit the opponent, preferably, before he gets a chance to get off a strike and after we have parried/slipped an attack.

When sensing a strike about to come your way...always pre-empt it by getting there first...only if your assessment of the opponent and the risk he poses to you is a safe one.

If you come up a giant dude like the one in the clip, the best bet is to evade and keep on going to safety.

Don't fall into the lion's jaws...thinking your technique will always be successful in stopping him...
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:19 pm

Learn to practice cover movements like Rory's 'Dracula's cape'...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Rory+Mi ... d=0CCUQsAQ

Learn and practice the 'stop hit' concept

http://japanesejiujitsu.blogspot.com/20 ... ncept.html
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:09 pm

The blocking patterns of Uechi Ryu- must be ingrained and practiced but the concept of the wauke patterns [blocks]needs to be absorbed at 'another level' to use an expression of Art Rabesa.

'Another level' will certainly be open to individual interpretation...but here's mine:

Blocks should be first thought of as "cover" moves - to be used when you can't create angles and distance -and have to protect yourself...an activity genetically ingrained...that optimizes with the practice of uechi blocks in kata and drills.

Another effective use of blocking patterns is where, as Stryke points out, one seeks an initial 'touch' to maintain contact as a pivot point to create
and to exploit an opening/angle and to attack...again only if we have assessed the opposition carefully...or you will end up in the 'lion's jaws' as your attack fizzles.

So the blocking patterns we see in Uechi kata are indeed useful.

The hard block, or 'strike the strike' block...can also be effective and useful but it depends on what 'strikes' you are 'striking'...and, of course, if you can read the incoming strike to begin with... not easy to do against a fast, hard puncher or kicker. Those who have fought open tournaments against mixed styles...know what I mean.

In order me to use a strike block (imagine a down block on a hard front kick for instance) I would have to -A. to see it coming and time such a block so I don't leave my head exposed to a 'low/high' combination of kick and punch...
and B. have to be sure that in the chaos of the moment, my low block [striking the snapping shin incoming] is done at the correct angle so that the opponent's shin does not break my ulna bone, something we have seen happen many times.

It is not enough to say 'well you should have done this way' because in the heat of moment in a street fight...you will make lots of mistakes...you can take this to the bank.

Relying on movement and space to avoid an attack is something to be practiced with and 'without' blocks as such, maybe just using a 'slapping parry' and slipping/angling away.

There will be times when you will not have the time or space to slip/angle away...and here is when you must think of your blocking pattern as cover moves to avoid getting nailed.
Van
Van Canna

Postby gmattson » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:51 pm

I really like Van's last entry. Sums up the topic very well.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
gmattson
Site Admin

Postby Van Canna » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:11 pm

Thanks George, and I think this is the concept you are using when teaching kumites.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Stryke » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:19 am

Id love to see Georges kumites , and the evolution of the soft hands clip you posted . Would love to see kumites done well that aren't about standing in the cross hairs jumping backwards and forwards and plucking punches from the air. I for one would do them if they didn't violate the principles discussed in this thread.

It think though if you want folks to think of them more than blocks , you should drop the block reference , Uke works , even the translation of receive works

I don't think you need to go outside Uechi and take it up a level to do practical self protection focused martial arts , but that's from not a Uechi guy because I cant get the kumites to work without breaking some strategic rules , So I don't do the complete modern system.

happy training guys. Was fun going around the same old maze.
Stryke

Postby Van Canna » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:22 am

I just reviewed Rory's book 'Meditation on violence' specifically chapter six on page 125 'making physical defense work' pretty interesting chapter.

In stages one two and three Rory sets forth that because of the action/reaction gap the chances of an already initiated attack are very low...

that 'blocking the opportunity' is the awareness of our available targets and the opponent's available weapons and one should be able to read where an attack will be coming from and one should be able to prevent the move before it starts this beating the fastest attack because of the 'reading' _

And 'Blocking the intent' is the pre-emptive strike once we know or believe an opponent has decide to hurt us.

On page 28 he outlines the timing of the neural impulses on the 'sending end' of the attack and on the 'receiving end' ...also indicating that the slowest reactionary step is when the brain must choose a response option to the specific attack.

He recommends training to responding to opportunity ahead of the motion, moving on the motion you sense is coming rather than to wait for it to happen...because the first attack usually gets in and the attacks that get in do damage and each bit of damage we take hampers the ability to prevent more damage.

On page 144 he talks about 'initiative based training' as introduced to him by Deputy US Marshal Jeff Jones ...which is a powerful training tool by itself with explosive movements, un-telegraphed.

On page 151 Rory touches upon the 'twilight zone of violence' where incredibly weird things can happen, some seemingly impossible.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:02 am

In section 3.2 on page 54 Rory touches upon blocking and on page 57, section 3.3 he talks about the chemical cocktail and how when this hits, how we change physically and mentally, one of the hardest things to address in training, as the mind we train with will not be the one we will have when attacked.
It is also very easy for students and teachers to either deny that this affect exists or pretend that they can train it away.
Skilled technique degrades under stress, it degrades a lot, if you have heard or said 'If it was for real I would have done better' you have bought into a huge lie.

Complex motor skills, essentially your coordination, will be hampered with a strong enough cocktail. Trapping, combinations, throws, anything that requires hands and feet working together will be gone.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Stryke » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:27 am

Can I get an amen !!! :lol:

Good quotes Van
Stryke

Postby fivedragons » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:47 pm

Here's a good example of the chemical cocktail:

Kata is a good way to get in touch with this beast and befriend it.
fivedragons

PreviousNext

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities