Kyohon Translations...

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Kyohon Translations...

Postby Seizan » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:27 pm

Hello everyone.

Last week, Sumako took an English Language Interpretation Test similar to the ones used by the Japanese Government to certify language aptitude skill levels for government placements. The levels are 1 to 4; 1 being the most elementary and 4 being the most advanced (few pass to level 4).

She wasn’t directed to reevaluate her skill level; she took the test voluntarily and out of curiosity. It's posted in the database of the Defense Logistics Agency, for which she is General Manager here on Okinawa. It's an extremely difficult language test and she just wanted to challenge herself.

She scored 100%.

I bring this up to illustrate the accuracy required for a joint US-Japan Forces position such as hers.

Relating this to the translations of material from the 1977 UechiRyu Kyohon, Sumako exercised the same degree of skill in translating and interpreting the Kyohon as she brings to her official employment. Her translations are painstakingly accurate, and verifiably so.

Having said that, please keep in mind that we merely provided accurate translations of mostly historical excerpts from the Kyohon in response to questions such as “Well, what does the Big Blue Book say about this?”

So – it’s true that the material translated is in the Kyohon, and the translations are accurate; it’s your choice whether to believe the content or not. Uechi Kanei Sensei openly accepted responsibility for the truth and accuracy of the entire Kyohon in his personal endorsement found in the beginning of the book. Sumako and I simply provided precise translations. Ongoing research may provide more information and a different view of our history.

If you have any comments, I'll do my best to respond as soon as possible. But I would prefer to take them at my e-mail address, as I am seldom on the forums. My address can be found in the Dojo Listings under "Okinawa" on this site.

Best regards to all,

Seizan and Sumako
Seizan

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities