2017 Uechi SummerFest

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

2017 Uechi SummerFest

Postby William Leith » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:13 pm

Hello,

My name is William Leith of Buzz Durkin's Karate School and the Uechiryu Butokukai. Sensei Canna asked me to share some information about this year's SummerFest to his forum.

The biggest change to this year's event is the new location in Danvers, MA at the DoubleTree by Hilton Boston North Shore. I have recently visited this location and it is going to be an excellent venue. The clean facility includes changing rooms, a Starbucks, a restaurant, and an indoor water park for participants who wish to bring family members.

For images of the new location and more information on SummerFest please visit this link: http://www.uechiryubutokukai.com/summerfest/

Over the next few weeks I will post more about the event. Thank you for your time!

William Leith

Re: 2017 Uechi SummerFest

Postby Van Canna » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:05 am

Thank you for posting this on my forum, Bill. I know it will be an exciting and extremely well organized event, simply because Buzz Durkin is running it.

I recall Buzzy telling me some years back that the best venue would indeed be a hotel such as the Hilton.

I am very familiar with the location as I used to stop by there quite often in my work assignments down the north shore. I just love the place with all its luxurious amenities.

I know it will be ultimate Summer camp experience for all participants.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:17 pm

Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon May 15, 2017 10:37 pm

SummerFest Schedule of Events

Friday
•1:00 PM SummerFest Entry Floor Opens
•2:00 PM - Bonus Training Seminars ◦Presenters to be announced
◦Adult Sankyu (Brown Belt) and above welcome

•2:00 PM - 7:00 PM - Seminars with Hanshi-Sei (10th degree black belt) Instructors ◦2:00 PM - Art Rabesa
◦3:00 PM - George Mattson & Buzz Durkin
◦4:00 PM - Jim Maloney
◦5:00 PM - James Thompson
◦6:00 PM - Walter Mattson
◦Adult Sankyu (Brown Belt) and above welcome, Junior Black Belts welcome

•7:30 PM: Judan Testing (Buzz Durkin tests for his 10th degree black belt) ◦Followed by the ticket entry only Master's Banquet

Saturday
•7:00 AM - SummerFest Entry Floor Opens
•8:00 AM - Master's Testing ◦6th - 9th degree black belt candidates

•8:00 AM - Bonus Training Seminars ◦Presenters to be announced
◦Junior Black Belts welcome

•9:00 AM - 11:00 PM - Training seminars with master (6th - 9th degree black belt) instructors ◦Master instructors rotate among all students with each instructor teaching for 35 minutes each
◦Application of Kata - David Kelly & Dan Dovidio
◦Practical Karate - Tracy Rose & Roy Bedard
◦Kata Training - Leyn Burrows & Bob Bethoney
◦All Adult ranks welcome
◦Juniors Black Belts welcome

•11:00 AM - 12:30 PM - Lunch break (lunch included with registration)
•12:30 PM - 2:00 PM - Training seminars with master (6th - 9th degree black belt) instructors continue ◦Master instructors rotate among all students with each instructor teaching for 35 minutes each
◦Application of Kata - David Kelly & Dan Dovidio
◦Practical Karate - Tracy Rose & Roy Bedard
◦Kata Training - Leyn Burrows & Bob Bethoney
◦All Adult ranks welcome
◦Juniors Black Belts welcome

•Bonus Training Seminars ◦Presenters to be announced
◦Junior Black Belts welcome

•2:00 PM - 3:00 PM - Junior Training
•5:30 PM - Graduation Ceremony ◦Master Durkin receives his Judan (10th degree black belt)
◦6th - 9th degree black belt candidates receive their new ranks
◦Demonstrations and Video presentation

•6:30 PM - Cocktail hour

This is one event you don't want to miss.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon May 15, 2017 11:30 pm

Available for purchase at our SummerFest Store.

We are pleased to announce that seats are now available for the SummerFest Master's Banquet!

This will be a rare opportunity to share an incredible evening with high level martial arts masters and celebrities from around the world!

This event is open to all - however, seating is limited. Purchase your ticket before this event sells out!

This sit down buffet dinner will include celebrity guests from all around the world. Featuring live entertainment and demonstrations.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Mon May 15, 2017 11:57 pm

Van
Van Canna

Postby William Leith » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:44 pm

William Leith

Postby William Leith » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:46 pm

For information on SummerFest Presenters please click here: http://www.uechiryubutokukai.com/summerfest-presenters/
William Leith

Postby ACloutier » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:55 am

Looking forward to it!
"Fall Seven, Rise Eight"
ACloutier

Postby Van Canna » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:50 pm

How about inviting a skilled real life Homicide police investigator to a Summer camp to talk about court testimony, human performance, defining reasonableness within use of force, memory issues, legal basis, aftermath etc./
?
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:54 pm

And then cap his teachings with taking on a volunteer and make him sweat out a police interrogation as we all watch?

This particular scenario is worth 10K sanchins. Only a handful of teachers understand this process.

Your on the floor training is no guarantee you won't fall apart under police interrogation where you will have trouble remembering your name.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:55 pm

Just because you may not have found yourself in a fight for your life yet, don't discount the possibility that it won't find you.

The homicide detective at our seminar would touch upon:

1. What happens during the course of the investigation: What are the police thinking when they arrive on scene?

2. Are you going home after defending yourself or will you be spending sometime in jail?

3. What are your Constitutional rights as told to you via Miranda? Should you ask to speak with your attorney as soon as the police arrive?

4. What could be some different outcomes if you're a member of the community compared to someone just passing through?

5. Understanding what "Articulate" means, how it's applied, and how this can seriously change the outcome of a post shooting investigation
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:57 pm

As we all should be aware of by now...surviving a fight is not all about blocking and countering.

Being smart and learning how to think in the chaos of a confrontation, before, during and after, is worth more than all the blocks in China and Wakayama.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:59 pm

hoshin »

i think the ideas Van is offering is a really good idea. i have been watching a lot of footage of real knife attacks recently and its brutal and horrific. sometimes its very hard to watch, but i never thought about having to preform my own first aid if i was ever in that situation.

thanks Van, that is something i will put on my to do list and pass what i can along to others when i teach.

as for the police investigation idea, i have seen youtube videos of Massad Ayoob talking about these types of things but the Video is dated. would be interested in a 2016 perspective.

there is an awfull lot of bunk out there being taught. my main concern is always "who is the source of information coming from" i trust Roy and Rory and Tony B. and Dave Young. having them at prior camps was great.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:03 pm

Learning how to no to bleed to death after a knifing or get to some help with broken bones, or giving first aid to a family member/friend hurt in an attack is a smart thing to do.

We had CPR training many years back at Charlie Earle's dojo. One of the most important 'technique' you will ever learn...

And a well staged police interrogation would be very valuable now and then even if fake as all training really is. And it would help if we could get police officers [Uechi students] to wear their police uniforms while conducting an investigation.
Van
Van Canna

Next

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities