My Knife Defence Book is ready for sale

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Re: My Knife Defence Book is ready for sale

Postby Rick Wilson » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:48 pm

It is a good article.

He says a lot that is reflected in my book just using different terms and sometimes a different take but the essential messages are the same.

First rule for knife defence is that nothing is absolute. As with the author, I don’t agree with always surrender to the knife. I saw a clip a while back of a mugger with a knife and the guy he was mugging was not getting his wallet out fast enough so the muggers method to prompt him along was to stab him – four times in the end. I agree if giving a person you wallet leads to survival then your wallet is not worth your life but what if they don’t just want your wallet?

And always surrender to the knife implies willingly going to the second crime scene something you should fight before doing.

I agree most are not trained to react to knife. In the book is the story of how I began this journey many years ago when I discovered as a trained black belt I had no idea what to do against a knife. A knife is a different world. Get hit empty hand vs empty hand and you get hurt, Get hit with a knife and you might (might not – no absolutes) die.

Threat awareness and assessment should be constantly taught. Not just say be aware BUT what to be aware of - what to actually look for. A walk around a block with Rory Miller as your tour guide is a great learning experience.

The knife is a tool used to intimidate, I agree. The threat assessment you must make is whether you are dealing with a resource predator = he wants your stuff or a process predator = he wants to do something to you.

Categories, while I use different terms he is on the same track. The rapist/mugger/robber might take the intimidation approach. Add some hardening or a driving addiction and the criminal needs to look at what is the safest way for them to get what they want. This is a dark thought process but holding a knife on you might get me your stuff but coming at you from an oblique angle or from behind and stabbing you multiple times before you know I am there is a safer approach.

Learn the signs of someone intending to do you violence. Here is a great clip from Randy King and Thor at KPC breaking down some predator pre-attack cues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx-UWiNhuCs&spfreload=10

That brief period of shock. The freeze. Anything you are unfamiliar with can kick in a freeze. Just had someone experience this. His daughter went to the door of a house collecting for charity and the 3 year old inside opened the door. A 150 pound Rottweiler slammed passed the three year old grabbed the guy’s daughter by the arm threw her off the steps followed and grabbed her by the hip shaking her. The father for a brief moment was in that odd freeze where his brain (not accustom to a viscous dog attack) was trying to take it in asking is the dog licking her? Then his daughter screamed, that broke the freeze and he charge the dog chasing it off her.

We cannot train for everything but trying to simulate the experience of a knife attack might help get passed that freeze that moment of shock. Play slow and safe with metal training knives to get used to dealing with the glint of steel. Play as hard and fast and as real fake as you can with a safe training knife your partner will try to kill you with. Do the stuff you fail at most – the most.

The approach in the book is to use operant conditioning to build a tactical habitual response to the movement generated by a knife assault. The same response to almost all versions of attack to eliminate options. The goal is for the movement of the assault to be the cue to engage that habit. Habits rule our day. We leap from cue to habit before our intellectual brain ever gets near getting involved. That is what we try to build.

Distance = time = opportunity – its in the book. I agree completely.

I also agree (and it is in the book) about what to look for.

The book tries really hard to cover all types of attacks, from a distance, up close, from the side, from behind, taken unaware and knife on the body to intimidate, the aggressor at a distance waving the blade trying hack at you…. So much in there but I’m sure somewhere there will be something for volume 2. :D
Rick Wilson - http://wpd-rc.com/
Rick Wilson

Postby Rick Wilson » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:44 pm

Just as an FYI about the video clip a few posts back, the only time I know what attack is coming is when I say to Stan front thrust or slash and let him know I am going to demonstrate something specific so I need a specific attack. All the other attacks in the Operant Conditioning and testing are impromptu and I neither Stan nor I knew what was coming.
Rick Wilson

Postby Van Canna » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:09 pm

Good stuff Rick...

Scary and as a caveat here, it is always best to try and run away instead of engaging which should be the last resort.

And keep in mind the '21 foot rule'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y49rv3QBtkk

You don't get off line//you DIE_
Van
Van Canna

Postby Rick Wilson » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:01 pm

All in the book. :D
Rick Wilson

Postby Rick Wilson » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:27 pm

Training knives: Which ones are better?

The book has a section on safety because as fun as training is most people still must be able to at least crawl into work the next day. Eye protection is a good idea and I recommend finding good one, but this post is about training knives.

There are all kinds of training knives illustrated in the book. You have foam, rubber, plastic, wood, metal and even knives that give a shock. I also recommend a home-made version that I’ll get to in a moment.

In a training knife, we are looking to simulate (safely) a real blade and a real attack.

Any softer substance training knife can bend which real knives doesn’t.

Hard plastic or wood doesn’t bend but it doesn’t have the visual or the contact feel of a real knife like a metal trainer does.

Hard training knives can still do damage (not just hurt – actual damage) which is like a real knife but what you don’t want when training.

So, which do you use. Depends on what you are doing.

In the Learning Zone I like to use the old rubber tanto knives. They bend but are stiff enough to simulate the feel of a knife in your hand and are annoying but safe to be stabbed with, so you know when you fail but are not injured. Safe is important because you’re learning and mistakes are expected.

In the Conditioning Zone when you are using slow motion drills a hard plastic, wood or metal (I like Metal) trainer can be safely used because at the reduced speed you are going safe enough to still fully stab with them and they do not bend. Just as you can elbow through your partner’s head slowly but safely, you can stab them slowing and safely.

Once you begin to add speed and begin to shift from the Conditioning Zone to the Testing Zone I like to use a home made safe fake trainer. I take an old gi belt and fold it over once or twice to the desired length and then wrap it in tape. The tape gives it enough stiffness to use as a fake knife but it still folds when you drive it into your partner’s body.

There is one reason I think a faker safer training knife is important in the Testing Zone, but that reason has two results.

I demonstrate this now by taking a super metal trainer Chris McKaskell made for me and a gi belt trainer.

I have one person take the metal trainer and I get a very nice expensive hand pad of theirs and ask if they would want to sewing machine stab the metal trainer into the pad as real as they can. I’ve put a little Delica training folder an inch into an old phone book.

If they care about the expensive pad they say no way because they will destroy it. So, then I ask if they would drive that same trainer as real as they can into their partner’s torso. If they are sane they say no to that to.

You see if you are truly attacking with a solid trainer and stabbing your partner but at the end of training and multiple stabs they are NOT standing there holding all kinds of sore and damaged body parts then you never actually attacked them. They were never in real danger and therefore can never truly know if their defence was successful.

The second reason is that people like to succeed and that is a useful thing in knife defence. I demonstrate this asking one person to step out of the room while I ask another person to take that metal trainer and sewing machine stab the same pad BUT this time I tell them to stab just to the pad and not into it so the pad is not damaged. I ask them to sewing machine stab 20 times. Anywhere from the 8th to 15th stab I rotate and pull the pad away as they stab. Because they are not stabbing into the pad they continue to stab without changing their action or position.

Now I bring the other person back in and hand them the fake gi belt trainer and ask them to really sewing machine stab the pad twenty time. Because they can actually stab the pad when they stab they really make contact. Again, between the 8th and 15th stab I rotate and pull the pad away as they stab. Because they are actually stabbing their thrust changes. Because they really want that contact the pad they follow and extend farther than before (sometimes even with a slight stumble forward). Sometimes a little and sometimes a lot. Because they follow the pad and I’ve rotate I am now beside them and can cup their elbow as they stab which has an interesting effect.

What this means is because the more real training knife is still dangerous the attacks with the faker training knife are more real. You will know when you fail because there is intent to contact and because there is intent to contact when the person moves they will follow and that changes everything in knife defence because of the opportunity for you to use that to achieve a superior strategic position.

When I taught at the Alberta Peace officer’s 2017 Annual Conference one officer said” Hell, I know he is going to move, I see him moving AND I still can’t stop stabbing.”

Some will say the harder training knives are more real and therefore better but just ask how many times they broke a partner’s ribs with them….

Now some martial blade training focuses on cuts and counter cuts and that needs a blade that does not bend to train. But cuts with a metal trainer can hurt and bruise but rarely do damage like a stab with one. So, a caveat is what is the purpose of the drill and pick the right tool for the task.

Just my thoughts.

http://wpd-rc.com/blog/training-knives- ... re-better/
Rick Wilson

Postby Van Canna » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:45 pm

Thanks Rick.

Since this is posted on my forum, I also want to make sure people realize this is not a 'play thing'...and it will require much dedication/concentration and repetitive practice along with any style it is being studied or those moves will not ingrain and....false self confidence when a blade is involved or might be involved[something martial artist don't give much thought to] will get them into a coffin real quick.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Rick Wilson » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:54 pm

Absolutely, Van.

The book is the guide but you have to do the work and put in the practice. :D
Rick Wilson

Postby Rick Wilson » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:33 pm

While I prefer hard copies of my martial arts/self defence books, for those who like electronic copies the Kindle edition of my book is coming soon - stay tuned.
Rick Wilson

Postby Rick Wilson » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:23 pm

A much shorter video clip for my knife Defence book, “Watch Out For The Pointy End.”
The book is the manual (and more) for the seminar I taught at the Alberta Peace Officer’s 2017 Annual Convention.

https://youtu.be/9iyF9ou5R_0

My book is now Available at:
https://www.createspace.com/7457736
Amazon.com
Rick Wilson

Postby Van Canna » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:05 pm

Rick,

Your book just got here this afternoon. Nice, I'll have to start reading it.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Rick Wilson » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:13 pm

Excellent news.

Looking forward to hearing what you think of it.
Rick Wilson

Postby Rick Wilson » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:46 pm

While I like my reference books in print the Kindle versions are READY (many thanks to my amazing daughter BD Wilson) Here are the links to Amazon.com and .ca (and the .ca price is normal for Canada not like the print version on .ca):

Amazon.com:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075B3XWDD/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1504326938&sr=8-2&keywords=Watch+out+for+the+pointy+end

Amazon.ca:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B075B3XWDD/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1504327218&sr=1-1&keywords=watch+out+for+the+pointy+end
Rick Wilson

Postby Van Canna » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:14 pm

The evasive and offline stepping drills in the book are excellent practice and you will find a commonality with certain Uechi - Hojo undo moves.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:19 pm

And the section on clearing is another great chapter to read and conceptually practice in all we do when we move.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:36 pm

As I keep reading this book I marvel at how Rick has put together all the critical concepts of engagement, what a piece of work that is...really impressed.

It is not one of those books heavily reliant on technique...i.e., he does that ...you do this...but a veritable encyclopedia of the 'human condition' at its survival best...knife or no knife.

The section of reading the attack alone is priceless...as most karate people end up 'expecting' certain attacks only.

And the fact that as Rick points out...most of us in any fight won't see what has been thrown hitting us on target. So it is not what you need to see but more what you need to feel.
Van
Van Canna

PreviousNext

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities