In Search of Efficiency Part Eleven: Loose

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Re: In Search of Efficiency Part Eleven: Loose

Postby Rick Wilson » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:58 am

Okay first I am not a kettlebell person, so I can’t say much about how he approaches it and he may be 100% correct for that purpose. However, I do work with them and the teachings I follow don’t require the tension he is saying it does. I don’t use tension when I work with them I use alignment and being loose and I’ve had no issues, but it is admittedly a limited usage .

My loose, as stated before, is not the noodle he refers to and I referred to as rag doll. So, if loose to him is rag doll then he will wobble and have issues; however, if it is the looseness I prescribe which relates to balance and the right muscles being used then there is no wobble. The best description of the looseness I use can be found in the proper performance of the Aikido unbendable arm and alignment.

The first reason might seem obvious. When we press or pull an object from the ground, the force of the press needs to get transferred into the ground. If we are loose like a noodle, our press must overcome the wobble. If we are tight, the force gets directly transferred into the ground.

Tight and tense is one method to connect to the ground and to each their own, but it is not the only way. Loose and properly aligned also connects well to the ground. I of course relate to the grounding during a strike as opposed to lifting a kettlebell.

I want to be loose, I want to be aligned and part of that is because tension will kill the elasticity of the body which is by the way the next section on efficiency. I also use that elasticity in power generation, so I do not want to have the tension he recommends.

Furthermore, when looking at destroying the structure of an opponent their tension is your friend. Tension creates what we refer to as a tension chain. A tension chain means that if I move this part of you at this end of the tension chain I also get to move everything in between that point right to the end of the tension chain. It makes manipulating a person’s structure much easier than doing so to a person who is loose (not the noodle loose he describes but aligned looseness.)
Rick Wilson - http://wpd-rc.com/
Rick Wilson

Postby Van Canna » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:58 am

Good post Rick and I don't disagree, simply because as you say there are different ways to achieve the same results.

It is from my particular training, especially with firearms, that I believe in selective tension, especially when it comes to grip strength and weapon retention, plus the safeguarding of my fingers and wrist against the slamming impact of landing a strike or collision with hard incoming force.

That is not to say that the alignment you talk about is not a critical element to develop for the reasons you state.

What we read here is very good...

http://schaferselfdefense.blogspot.com/ ... -fist.html
Van
Van Canna

Postby Rick Wilson » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:32 pm

there are different ways to achieve the same results

Absolutely, Van and I see one of the great values of forums, such as yours, is the ability to share different ways of doing things.

From my perspective getting agreement with "one way" is not the purpose, sharing and learning about other ways is.

Thanks for the opportunity to share.
Rick Wilson - http://wpd-rc.com/
Rick Wilson

Postby Van Canna » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:16 pm

I agree, it is how we learn and keep on learning.
Van
Van Canna

Previous

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities