Do size and strength matter in self defence?

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Postby Rick Wilson » Mon May 07, 2018 1:21 am

My grandson and I did a little clip to address this:

https://youtu.be/DVe8e6B8aGI
Rick Wilson - http://wpd-rc.com/
Rick Wilson

Re: Do size and strength matter in self defence?

Postby raleighsimon » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:56 am

Of course they do.

Anyone who says different needs to work with bigger people.

While some martial arts will say size and strength do not matter what they really are, or should, be saying is you can learn to deal with size and strength – but they always matter.

If we were asked to move a rock from here to there then we would look at the rock and determine if we can just pick it up and carry it over or if we need to apply some principles or tools, such as leverage, to move it.

The size of the rock mattered and if we had no idea how to use leverage or some other principle or tool then we couldn’t move the rock. In self defence not being able to move the rock can have nasty consequences.
raleighsimon

Postby Van Canna » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:55 am

Very good points by both Rick and Raleighsimon.

Size and strength will always matter, and leverage is one of the key concepts.

Thank you
Van
Van Canna

Postby paulg » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:55 am

Remember Anton Geesink? He was the first non-Japanese to win international judo competitions. He dominated the sport for years in the 1960s. We read about him every month in Black Belt magazine for years. He was 6'6", a giant of a man. Of course size matters... a lot!
paulg

Postby Van Canna » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:09 pm

Hi Paul,

Yes, I remember him, I also remember Ed Daniels, the King Kong of karate, I met at Henry Cho's All American tournament/Madison Square Garden.

We have talked about this before but the biggest problem with some of us martial artists is the cultivation of an illusory perception of stopping power prowess against just about any attacker the 'real deal' training notwithstanding.

The result of this is that these very students will have a tendency to stand their ground against huge adversaries in the belief their techniques and delivery will make up for the disparity of force facing them.

This thinking affects both the strikers stylists and the grapplers stylists.

I teach that in a true self defense situation, it is best to think evasion off line and flanking and 'continuum response' if close quarters demands it, and if getting away to safety is not possible.

Look at what really happens going against some big guy

https://www.mmamania.com/2018/9/7/17832 ... -fight-mma

This clip shows how just about impossible to block those kinds of power punches.
Van
Van Canna

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities