Personality questions

"OldFist" is the new and official Forum Arbitrator. "I plan to do a straight forward job of moderating, just upholding the mission statement of the forums, trying to make sure that everyone is courteous, and that no one is rudely intimidated by anyone else."

Moderator: gmattson

Junior

Personality questions

Post by Junior »

What would you do?

1. If someone insulted you and wouldnt stop
2. If someone wouldnt stop insulted your loved one (that wasnt present)
3. If someone wouldnt stop insulted someone you loved (that was present)
4. If you were waiting for your bus and saw someone insulting a homeless person and wouldnt stop
5. If someone were to spit in your face for no reason
6. If you saw 2 body builders steal a old ladys purse and run in your direction
"When two tigers fight, one is always injured. The other is dead."

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind."
RA Miller

Post by RA Miller »

Junior-

This is a "false sort", by including "won't stop" in each of your descriptions, the scenario flies away into the absurd:

I tell him to stop.

He won't stop.

I tell him I'll injure him.

He won't stop.

I injure him.

He won't stop.

I duct tape his mouth shut.

He won't stop.

I kill him

He won't stop.

I run the body through a chipper and burn it.

He won't stop.

I go to Hell, deal directly with the Devil, buy his soul, put it in a jar of Holy Water and duct tape the jar shut.

He won't stop....

Do you follow the argument to absurdity?

What are you really asking?

What verbal techniques have worked in each of those situations?
When do you cross the line and go physical in each of those situations?
Do you get an adrenal effect in each of those situations and if so, is it different in each situation?

Rory
lookingglass

Post by lookingglass »

I just love how people tend to trip over the first pebble and get stuck before ever reaching the base of the mountain.

Could you... Just answer the questions?
Email me at Lookingglassk@yahoo.com for questions or comments.
LenTesta

Post by LenTesta »

I believe Rory has answered the questions. You can never have definitive answers to thesequestions.

Of course there are many more questions I must ask to be able to answer.

Questions 1, 2, and 3
Who is the insulter?
What type of insult would someone have to say to me, about me or a loved one, before I get so offended that I would attempt to make him stop reapeating it?
Is there any validity to the insult?
Did I or a loved one deserve it?
Is this an appropriate place or time to discuss it?
Is there any threat of escallation to physical harm?

Question 4
Who is the insulter?
Is there any threat of escallation to physical harm?

Question 5
Only a person who was willing to provoke a physical confrontation would attempt this sort of insult. I am not sure what I would do in rteurn. It would depend on who the attacker was, where we were, and who I had with me.

Question 6
1. Depends on who was with me at the time. If not alone, I would try to remember their descriptions and call the police on my cell phone. I would give details as to where they were heading and any details about the car may be getting into to drive away. I would see if the older lady is hurt.

If alone, I may attempt to get in their way somehow not letting them know that i was trying to stop them in any intentional way. Then I would do as number 1 above.

Is this the way you would handle these questions Junior?

If not, then How?
Len
lookingglass

Post by lookingglass »

What would you do?

Leave and hope they follow me...
Like my mother said after a fight in the third grade, "he does not know me and I don not care what some punk kid think and maybe I am a bitch, you are not there to fight.
Listen to my love one cuss him out and hope there is not a fight. Get my attorneys card ready, cause it is about to begin.
4. If you were waiting for your bus and saw someone insulting a homeless person and wouldnt stop
Wonder where I was when others saw me being insulted by others when they would not stop. Then maybe yell when on the bus that I will call the police at the next stop. But wait just insulting. Hey it is life we all get that stuff.
maybe call the police and see him cited for battery. Hoping he has a warrent. Talk to my attorney and see if I can sue for some type of damage. Make the biggest damn deal out of it. Hope he follows through so I can defend myself. And ##### him up.
6. If you saw 2 body builders steal a old ladys purse and run in your direction.
Wonder if I am ready to kill them because I cant restrain without restraints and cops are slow. I might get a discription and a direction that they went.
If it was my grand ma, then chase them and find a convient weapon and do the best I can to hurt those guys or one from being mobile. Dont mess with Grand ma.
LeeDarrow

Re: Personality questions

Post by LeeDarrow »

Junior wrote:What would you do?

1. This is wholly situational and undefined. It depends on how threatening the individual is, how resrticted my retreat options are and what kind of backup either of us has to hand (whether friends or weapons).
2. Same applies, but less so.
3. Same issues. Not enough tactical data to formulate a proper response.
4. Stay out of it unless someone starts getting hurt.
5. My response would be somewhat predicated on tactical considerations, but they would probably need a dentist and a chirporactor, real quick.
6. Stumbling and falling so that they tripped and fell down HARD is a good option here. Sidewalks make great weapons. Best choice, get out of the way and get a GOOD look at the perps.

No stumbling on the first pebbel on the path here. Tactical considerations make ALL the difference in the world.

One does NOT start a fight with one H*ll's Anger when in the midst of fifty of them! That is plain suicide.

This quiz reminds me of my Philosophy 101 exam back in the Jurassic Period. One question:

Why? (explain in detail, use examples when necessary).

The proper answers were:

A Grade - Why Not? or Because.

B Grade - Why what?

C Grade - No reason, it just IS.

D Grade - any long exposition less than ten pages.

F- Grade - any exposition longer than 10 pages.

Define your situations more and you will get a better defined response.

No flame, just interested to see how this relates to VSD.

Respectfully,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
"No matter where you go, there you MIGHT be!" - Heisenberg
lookingglass

have some fun.

Post by lookingglass »

Well if the guy never specified the peramitors of the questions then have some fun with it.

I did read my answers.
W.J.C.

Post by W.J.C. »

Responses to questions:

1. If my intent, for whatever choice I'm being insulted for, was pure and true. I am only hearing the confessions of someone elses mal-intent. I would listen.

2 & 3. Everyone is entitled to their perception. If the "somebody" does not accept my loved ones, or my, declaration of intent I would inform them that they can beleive whatever they want, I'm no longer going to convince them otherwise, and then I would listen.

4. In all probability, I wouldn't involve myself in the situation. Someone who needs to be outright insulting to a homeless person, in my opinion, has too many issues for me to intervene.

5. If it's done in provocation, I have nothing to gain by beating the tar out of them. But, I have no need for being bullied either. I would declare to the "somebody" and to all potential witnesses that I have perceieved this "act" as a sign of hostile aggression and any other act toward me will be perceived the same way and will be dealt with in a swift defensive manner.

6. I am not a peace-officer so if I wish to intervene I would do it as an observer.
Oldfist

Re: Personality questions

Post by Oldfist »

Junior wrote:What would you do?

WJC, thanks for posting your response and bringing this thread up to the top :D

Really interesting to see these questions and the various replies by everyone. It seems that one basic commonality they all have is that in each case you have the choice of violent engagement or not, and based upon your personality, ego, etc. you may or may not decide that the situation warrants violent involvement/engagement.

So, these questions could be thought of as a little reflective test of one's own tendancy to react violently when you really aren't (obviously) forced to do so by situation.

That being said, the last guy that spit in my faced got slapped three times real quick and ended up with an eagle claw around his throat ... :lol:
John

I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that
I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso

Return to “Verbal Self Defense”