Strawman, K-Bash, and Other Fun Issues

"OldFist" is the new and official Forum Arbitrator. "I plan to do a straight forward job of moderating, just upholding the mission statement of the forums, trying to make sure that everyone is courteous, and that no one is rudely intimidated by anyone else."

Moderator: gmattson

Bill Glasheen

Strawman, K-Bash, and Other Fun Issues

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Just in case there are remaining issues from the Marriage thread on my forum, here is a place that they can be discussed.

And if everyone is cool, I'm cool too.

You might also check out Dana's more general thread

the mighty word

- Bill
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

I`d appreciate clarification on what we`ve agreed regarding strawman

Is it an acceptable from of address , and if called does it require substansiation ?

what are the new rules for dealing with these kind of attacks ?

and when is it appropriate to use labels such as strawman , is it appropriate to reference old threads without direct quotes ? .

Does such vague referencing become a personal attack if we are no longer debating the issues ?

Sorry for so many questions , I am for one truly confused with the direction of this after it was all suppossedly resolved .
Oldfist

Post by Oldfist »

Stryke wrote:I`d appreciate clarification on what we`ve agreed regarding strawman

Is it an acceptable from of address , and if called does it require substansiation ?

what are the new rules for dealing with these kind of attacks ?

and when is it appropriate to use labels such as strawman , is it appropriate to reference old threads without direct quotes ? .

Does such vague referencing become a personal attack if we are no longer debating the issues ?

Sorry for so many questions , I am for one truly confused with the direction of this after it was all suppossedly resolved .
Stryke, please be patient. We are working on a new set of forum rules to address these situations. It takes a while to think everything through.

Meanwhile, everyone please err on the side of respect, caution, and control.

Thanks,
John
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Marcus

I hear you. Thanks.

- Bill
Randy Pelletier

Post by Randy Pelletier »

Bill and Marcus,

Good posts as this was a dead topic and no one wants it resurrected.

George, I question why you brought this up again as everyone was happy to put this behind them and continue on with respectful forums posts.

Post by Guest »

I don't understand what George intended with his strawman comment. I don't know why he was bringing up the long dormant K bash thread in a discussion about marriage.

Possibly he will come on line and clarrify what he was attempting to communicate. In the mean time it's probably best not to reach any conclusions until George explains what he intended with his straw man comment and why he referenced the long dormant thread.
gmattson
Site Admin

I apologize

Post by gmattson »

for using that reference. I was in a hurry and didn't re-read the post before sending.

I banned myself for three hours! :)
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Thanks all .

Look forward to reading the new guidelines .

Return to “Verbal Self Defense”