Tag Lines Discussion

"OldFist" is the new and official Forum Arbitrator. "I plan to do a straight forward job of moderating, just upholding the mission statement of the forums, trying to make sure that everyone is courteous, and that no one is rudely intimidated by anyone else."

Moderator: gmattson

Oldfist

Post by Oldfist »

Van Canna wrote:So be it, John. Just so you understand that it goes both ways. The rules are for all to be complied with.

George has done the same thing in the past and really pissed off a few good men. :wink:

I have already adopted Sonnon's suggestions as George has.

We shall see how far we go with this.
Van, thanks very much for all your efforts. I really appreciate it!

John
gmattson
Site Admin

Van..

Post by gmattson »

I have gotten a few email from some great past contributors who have told me they no longer wish any involvement here because of pedantry, and boredom.
In attempting to clarify. I don't understand what you mean by this sentence. Can you understand how I might interpret the words to mean something that perhaps you didn't intend?

Do you feel dredging up old posts is useful?
George has done the same thing in the past and really pissed off a few good men.
It is really strange that all the posts where I "piss someone off" were instances where I was attempting to bring subjects back on track, attempting to correct misunderstanding or to stop perceived insults from turning these forums into another one of those chat programs where people throw insults at one another until the administrator is forced to close the program. When I make mistakes, as in misreading a new poster as a troublemaker and discovering later he wasn't, I apologized. At no time have I ever insulted anyone, in spite of how my words are twisted to appear that way.

The Pat McCarthy situation is a good example of building a mountain out of nothing, then blaming me for his not attending a seminar. Man, I've read some really insulting and disrespectful email published against Pat. He is not someone who cancels a seminar or refuses to post because his feelings were hurt.

I didn't apologize because I didn't insult him or anyone else. Should I apologize because a few people decided to redefine what I said, then complain that based on their interpretation, I am guilty of insulting a group of unnamed, but "clearly" targeted people???

There's that old "straw man" again!

This whole mess began because I wanted Van to stop using the tag lines that are not relevant to the subject and can be perceived to paint a specific group of martial artist in an unfavorable light. Instead of simply focusing on that, I was targeted to be the villain and I was forced to defend myself.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

There's that old "straw man" again!
Here we go again, George.

And this concludes my participation on this thread.
Van

Post by Guest »

Sorry , I can not put up with this!

John you hace accused me of several violations,

I have asked you to clarrify ....the silence is deafening!

If you can not substanciate your accusations then the correct thing to do would be to offer me a public appology.

I have a few other questions:

Keep in mind that truth is relative, depending on perspective.
I don't understand what this means. Truth is truth no? It's not a rubber concept. What are we trying to say here. No offence, but I see truth as a black and white thing, not a grey area....Could you attempt to explain or restate this for me. I wish to understand the guiding principles on this site.

When an individual feels offended, send a message back to the offender only.
Okay one of your new guiding principles...so no one sent me any email...so who is it I offended ...you claim I have.Why did no one email me to ask me to delete what they found offensive.
When anyone detects that a posting may have been offensive, send a message to the poster. The person may not have realized that the post was offensive.
I took this to mean a PM or an email. Is this what this guiding principle requires. I suspect it is .

When I pointed out to George he should not be taking Van to task for his post in public, I broke this Rule.

When George went at at Van over tag lines in public and he continues to do so. I believe he violates this Rule.

John when you treatened me with banning in public and when you accused me of multiple offences under your new code, you also violated your own rules. Were was my email asking to clarrify or delete.

So one more question John, Do you plan to follow you own rules or you also above the law?

First time I was banned I took Bill too task for his behaviour. I'm sure we all remember the straw man incident.I took a moderator and IUKF board member to task for rude comments not following the rules. Read my tag line it should come as no surprise.

When I was allowed to return to the forums you were the new moderator, you started moderating before George anounced your position. When I tried to discuss. My banishment your position was basically piss off it's a done deal.

So what am I to surmize from all this:

1) Don't take IUKF board members or moderators to task for their in appropriate behaviour.(based on one banning and one threatend banning)

2) Don't expect the site moderator to follow the rules of to deal in a honest manner with me, or even respond to questions.

30 Don't expect moderators to follow the rules they ask you to comply with.

Just my perception Oldfist but I see you as Georges instrument, your not here to moderate anything, to moderate one must have an open mind and listen to both sides and enforce the rules.....hell man your breaking the rules your self. As far as I'm concerned your hear to get rid of me just or not. (Based on your approach to date)

Hey your not paranoid if they are really after you! :wink:

But the bottom line :

Laird was banned for pointing out a moderators in appriopriate behaviour.

Laird was public threatened with banishment for pointin out to the site owner he was breaking his own rules.

Laird days are numbered he pointed out to the site cop that the cop was breaking his own rules.

Laird's days are numbered the witch hunt is drawing to a close.

Any way John as I indicated in a previous post the jury was still out on you as far as public opinnion.

I'm still waiting for your appology!

But I suspect most hunters don't bother appologising to the prey. I feel your hunting not moderating John.

Guess I've decided at any rate.
Oldfist

Post by Oldfist »

[b]uglyelk[/b] wrote:Sorry , I can not put up with this!

John you hace accused me of several violations,

I have asked you to clarrify ....the silence is deafening!

If you can not substanciate your accusations then the correct thing to do would be to offer me a public appology.

I have a few other questions:

Keep in mind that truth is relative, depending on perspective.
I don't understand what this means. Truth is truth no? It's not a rubber concept. What are we trying to say here. No offence, but I see truth as a black and white thing, not a grey area....Could you attempt to explain or restate this for me. I wish to understand the guiding principles on this site.

When an individual feels offended, send a message back to the offender only.
Okay one of your new guiding principles...so no one sent me any email...so who is it I offended ...you claim I have.Why did no one email me to ask me to delete what they found offensive.
When anyone detects that a posting may have been offensive, send a message to the poster. The person may not have realized that the post was offensive.
I took this to mean a PM or an email. Is this what this guiding principle requires. I suspect it is .

When I pointed out to George he should not be taking Van to task for his post in public, I broke this Rule.

When George went at at Van over tag lines in public and he continues to do so. I believe he violates this Rule.

John when you treatened me with banning in public and when you accused me of multiple offences under your new code, you also violated your own rules. Were was my email asking to clarrify or delete.

So one more question John, Do you plan to follow you own rules or you also above the law?

First time I was banned I took Bill too task for his behaviour. I'm sure we all remember the straw man incident.I took a moderator and IUKF board member to task for rude comments not following the rules. Read my tag line it should come as no surprise.

When I was allowed to return to the forums you were the new moderator, you started moderating before George anounced your position. When I tried to discuss. My banishment your position was basically piss off it's a done deal.

So what am I to surmize from all this:

1) Don't take IUKF board members or moderators to task for their in appropriate behaviour.(based on one banning and one threatend banning)

2) Don't expect the site moderator to follow the rules of to deal in a honest manner with me, or even respond to questions.

30 Don't expect moderators to follow the rules they ask you to comply with.

Just my perception Oldfist but I see you as Georges instrument, your not here to moderate anything, to moderate one must have an open mind and listen to both sides and enforce the rules.....hell man your breaking the rules your self. As far as I'm concerned your hear to get rid of me just or not. (Based on your approach to date)

Hey your not paranoid if they are really after you! :wink:

But the bottom line :

Laird was banned for pointing out a moderators in appriopriate behaviour.

Laird was public threatened with banishment for pointin out to the site owner he was breaking his own rules.

Laird days are numbered he pointed out to the site cop that the cop was breaking his own rules.

Laird's days are numbered the witch hunt is drawing to a close.

Any way John as I indicated in a previous post the jury was still out on you as far as public opinnion.

I'm still waiting for your appology!

But I suspect most hunters don't bother appologising to the prey. I feel your hunting not moderating John.

Guess I've decided at any rate.
Laird, I explained clearly at the top of this thread what your violations were, by citing the rules you violated (see the 4th post). You are just a guest on these forums and not a moderator. It is not your job or your right to interpret the rules of the forum and then apply them to me or anyone else.

You are in no position to demand anything of anybody, much less an apology. In fact, you are perilously close to being banned again.

Please maintain civility and respectfulness to me and everyone else or risk further disciplinary action.

Thanks for your cooperation,
John

Post by Guest »

Laird, I explained clearly at the top of this thread what your violations were, by citing the rules you violated (see the 4th post).
John, obviously it’s not clear to me or I would not have asked for clarification.

I have many friends on these forums, I have learned a great deal over the past 4 years that I have frequented this site. I wish to continue contacting my friends on this site and I wish to continue growing by reading what has been posted on this site.

In order to do that I must attempt to avoid making what ever transgression I have made or I will get my self banned.

I have asked you to explain how my post violated the rules, specificaly, CC13 and CC14.

John please understand, I only wish to know how my post crossed the line so that I don’t get punted by you. I’m not trying to be a hard ass, I’m trying to cooperate. I find this hard to do when your position is to not explain how I broke said rule.

I could email my original post to you if you need a point of reference, it’s saved on my server, ready to post. I know what infractions I have been accused of, you pointed it out twice.
You are just a guest on these forums and not a moderator. It is not your job or your right to interpret the rules of the forum and then apply them to me or anyone else.
Sorry John your absolutely correct. Moderators interpret the rules not me...I have asked you too explain how I violated the two you cite. On more than one occassion.Could you give me anything more than a statue #?

Sorry to be such an pain, It is up to you guys to decide what’s fair, not me, my only choice is to like it or lump it, buy it or not. Kind of real world is it not?
You are in no position to demand anything of anybody, much less an apology. In fact, you are perilously close to being banned again.
I don’t think I demanded anything, I said I expected it…guess I was wrong.
Please maintain civility and respectfulness to me and everyone else or risk further disciplinary action.
Another threat thanks mate. I am being polite, and it is my custom to extend what courtesy I receive. If I have been rude please let me know John, it's not my intent, and it would be pretty stupid of me given the hammer you keep hoisting over my head.
Thanks for your cooperation,
I am trying to cooperate, I suspect this is a dead end. You refuse to clairify your position and continue to threaten me…I suspect my best course of action is to just walk away.

I’m sorry if you have felt my questions are some kind of flame war. My goal has always been to gain understanding and communicate my feelings on this issue. If asking questions is unacceptable please let me know. I can stop any time, it’s not like I’m getting any answers…hell I’m afraid to post any more because no matter what I say you threaten me. This is a no win situation…I’m gone.

Lurk mode on!
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

My goodness, I simply cannot accept that Uechi Marital Artists have become the wimps being claimed here?

It just cannot be so!

If someone insults you what do you do in real life?

Do you cower and complain to someone else to please, pretty please, step in and save me from the evil bad man?

Or do you call them on it?

Who the heck are these cowering Uechi people who have been terrified by words so badly that they constantly harass poor George to step in and save them from the big bad words?

Are they so terrified that they cannot bring themselves to address the offending parties openly and publicly?

These forum posters have insult and terrified the Uechi community so greatly there are scared to post their thoughts on these forums???

HUH??????

Who are these wimps?

Yes no doubt I have insulted some of the Uechi community using the word “wimp” by the current rules.

EXCEPT THAT I DO NOT believe Uechi people are wimps scared of words so I do not think I have insulted the Uechi community at all.

I DO NOT BELIEVE IT!

When someone says something to me that I feel is insulting whether on these forums or in my face I call them on it.

I have NEVER gone running to poor George to have to step in and defend me.

I would never even consider this.

George works hard to keep these forum discussions open and interesting so there is no way I would hide behind him or expect him to do my fighting – WHAT MARTIAL ARTIST WOULD?

I just cannot believe these are Uechi people.

So I intend to find out.

FOR ALL YOU OUT THERE WHO ARE INSULTED BY THINGS ON THESE FORUMS MY EMAIL IS:

wilson@wilsonkarate.com

Email me.

I will tell you now that I have NEVER receive any such emails in all my years on these forums.

I HAVE received many emails of support in my discussions.

I will report to this thread the number of these emails I receive.

NOTE: I will not reveal your names so let us see how many you are.

If the response is overwhelming then the Uechi world is not the world of tough martial artists I believe it to be -- I will accept that as a sad fact.

Surely in the Uechi community there JUST CANNOT BE THAT MANY AFRAID OF ………mere words!!!!!!

Email me and let the forum community get an idea of how many out there are insulted by the words posted here.

I will post back the results.

Perhaps this whole concern is making a mountain out of a mole hill and we can get past what I believe has to be a false concern and back to talking martial arts!
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Late, heading to bed – So Day One and nothing received yet. :D
gmattson
Site Admin

Rick

Post by gmattson »

It is not my intention to prolong this thread, but you did raise an interesting point and a couple interesting questions that I can't ignore.

Why don't people post? Computer communication is fairly new and most people are uncomfortable using it for the first time. (How many first posts state how they "lurked" for a long time before participating)

We have a large number of people who register and who obviously have intentions of getting involved. Some give it a try and for some reason or other go into "lurker" mode again.

If you look at the number of people on these forums who post on a regular basis, the numbers are really most disappointing and for the most part, share similar interests and positions .

I get more email from people every week who tell me the reasons they don't post than we have active posters here! (I do encourage everyone who sends me an email question or complaint to raise the issue on the forums and a few do, but most elect not to post or get involved with the controversies.)

I have over 3000 people who have signed up for my newsletters, yet we can't get more than a handful of regular posters participating here. Are all those people who check us out and elect to go elsewhere, "wimps"?

Rick. . . I sense that you feel I'm trying to protect people who either don't exist or maybe don't deserve my attention. My only response is that I'll do whatever is necessary to make the forums a comfortable place for all martial artist or I'll end them.
GEM
Oldfist

Post by Oldfist »

[b]Rick Wilson[/b] wrote:

These forum posters have insult and terrified the Uechi community so greatly there are scared to post their thoughts on
these forums???

HUH??????

Who are these wimps?

Yes no doubt I have insulted some of the Uechi community using the word “wimp” by the current rules.

EXCEPT THAT I DO NOT believe Uechi people are wimps scared of words so I do not think I have insulted the Uechi
community at all.

I DO NOT BELIEVE IT!
Rick, I am not a Uechi-Ryu practitioner, but I guess I am one of these wimps. :D Over the past few years I have posted less, not because I am scared of words, but just simply because often it is just not worth the trouble for a variety of reasons including the unfriendly and negative atmosphere sometimes generated by an in-crowd of 5 or so posters who enjoy making too general innuendoes about some other vague group of martial artists.

Maybe they think you are in that vague group. You don't really care what they think, but it's just not worth the trouble to engage. So, you do more avoiding, which means more lurking and less posting. Hence, generally including everyone else out there doing this, more productive interchange that could occur is inhibited.

It seems very simple to me. As a teacher, one has the choice of always welcoming everyone to learn. Good teachers realize that the most important thing is to always encourage, and never give the student an excuse to quit or in this case not engage.
When someone says something to me that I feel is insulting whether on these forums or in my face I call them on it.

I have NEVER gone running to poor George to have to step in and defend me.

I would never even consider this.

George works hard to keep these forum discussions open and interesting so there is no way I would hide behind him or expect him to do my fighting – WHAT MARTIAL ARTIST WOULD?
Yes, I agree that George works hard trying to keep these forums open and interesting. As I said above, I don't think the problem is that anyone is asking him to do their fighting for them, but simply that the uncontrolled, self-indulgent behavior and antics of a small clique is too often inhibiting enough for many to just not engage because it is not worth the trouble.

About four years ago when I was browsing the Internet for interesting MA places, I was very excited to find this site and the real self-defense being discussed on Van's forum.

One of the reasons I was looking around was that one of the main Internet forums that I visited (in the MA style I was studying at the time) had the most incredibly rude and out of control members. Posters there didn't think about being polite at all costs, instead they thought more that since we're all badasses we should fight at the drop of a hat (word). Further, they had no respect for the moderator of the forum and things got so wild that he had no choice but to delete whole threads at a time.

The funny thing is that I still go back there today, because it is kind of interesting to observe when one of these inflammatory outbursts occurs. It is what I call my "MA Soap Opera Forum."

I think George deserves much more consideration and respect from all of us. It's a simple thing to show our appreciation and respect by exercising more self-control. Laird recently received a warning because in my judgement (and that's my job to make this judgement) he went too far in the impolite and challenging way he addressed George. My warning was to let him know I wanted him to stop right there with that type of behavior. George is the site owner and, as such, he is a moderator of all the forums.

I think that our best choice now is to move on and try to unselfishly do better for all concerned and the future of the forums. Otherwise, I think we risk becoming my second "MA Soap Opera Forum." Nothing could be wimpier than that.:D

John

P.S. Laird, please note second paragraph from the bottom.
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

You know I think it very important to remember that many people will enjoy reading just because that's what they enjoy.

Many people read the newspaper but not everyone writes in the newspaper. However everyone is welcoem to submit editorials.

One idea is to focus on what kinds of dicussions have brought comments from non-regular posters in the past.

Every on-line community is just that, a community. As such different people play different roles. In a community there's always the people on who are always on the board, who organize the block party, the park clean-up, the parade, etc. And there are those who will volunteer if asked but won't go out of their way. And there are still those who will only attend the parade.

GEM has stated several times over the years that he'd like to have a greater diversity of posters. And something to consider may be way the forums are structured, who moderates, and what are listed as "main" topic areas.

For example - it wouldn't be beyond the imagination to have an entire forum dedicated to Sanchin. Another dedicated to conditioning drills, we've already got some for Sparring, grappling, etc. And one thing GEM has done very well is try to shift the topic areas and moderators when he sees a "hot" topic spring up. The forum on High-Gear comes to mind. After one camp that forum had strong traffic for about 6-9months and then slowly slowed to a trickle. Perhaps there is a "hot topic" sitting out there that hasn't been hit on that will pull in posters.

So there may be a way to mine for further information from some of the lurkers as to what they feel might make the forums a place where they'd like to share their opinoins and thoughts and ask their questions more often.

Then again...maybe they just like reading the newspaper.
Did you show compassion today?
Oldfist

Post by Oldfist »

[b]Dana Sheets[/b] wrote: ..........................

GEM has stated several times over the years that he'd like to have a greater diversity of posters. And something to consider may be way the forums are structured, who moderates, and what are listed as "main" topic areas.

For example - it wouldn't be beyond the imagination to have an entire forum dedicated to Sanchin. Another dedicated to conditioning drills, we've already got some for Sparring, grappling, etc. And one thing GEM has done very well is try to shift the topic areas and moderators when he sees a "hot" topic spring up. The forum on High-Gear comes to mind. After one camp that forum had strong traffic for about 6-9months and then slowly slowed to a trickle. Perhaps there is a "hot topic" sitting out there that hasn't been hit on that will pull in posters.

So there may be a way to mine for further information from some of the lurkers as to what they feel might make the forums a place where they'd like to share their opinoins and thoughts and ask their questions more often.
Dana, thanks, great ideas! The other day I was thinking about how MA communities can and do provide a much richer total experience than for example their individual standard curriculum divisions, e.g. kihon, kata, kumite, weapons, plus current areas such as ground fighting, real self-defense, etc. But the whole is much more than the sum of these individual parts.

How about a forum called something like "Martial Arts Cultural Communities," which would emphasize the richness of the total experience and culture of various MA communities and styles? We could invite everyone to share and appreciate the diverse and wonderful aspects of the everyday experience in their own community. A kind of cultural exchange without competition.

John
gmattson
Site Admin

Johnl...

Post by gmattson »

I'd be very happy to set up something along the lines you suggest. I'm always open to ideas that will make our passive readers more active.
GEM
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

I am at the library so my time is limited.

Dana, I am sure you are correct and the lurkers who wish only to enjoy reding are most welcome.

George: I have received emails recently from people worried posting will get them banned if they anger ordisagree with certain people. I shrug these off and tell them to post. Should these folk scare off the discussion forum moderators from running their forum as they see fit? No, certianly not.

John:

I find your comments most disturbing.

You stated:

"Rick, I am not a Uechi-Ryu practitioner, but I guess I am one of these wimps. Over the past few years I have posted less, not because I am scared of words, but just simply because often it is just not worth the trouble for a variety of reasons including the unfriendly and negative atmosphere sometimes generated by an in-crowd of 5 or so posters who enjoy making too general innuendoes about some other vague group of martial artists."

"Yes, I agree that George works hard trying to keep these forums open and interesting. As I said above, I don't think the problem is that anyone is asking him to do their fighting for them, but simply that the uncontrolled, self-indulgent behavior and antics of a small clique is too often inhibiting enough for many to just not engage because it is not worth the trouble."

It seems to me you already have in mind those you wish to ban from these forums.

I read into these words that you have them identified and in your sights.

This bias is disturbing for a person chosen run a forum intended to moderate conflicts.

This forum had become a place to work out differrences -- has this changed?

Perhaps I am wrong and have read your words incorrectly but they seem very clear to me. You have identified a small group you wish would not post.

Please correct me if I am wrong and tell me how these words should have been interpreted.

There are people whose posts I do not bother to read and people I do not bother to respond to. Hmm there is a thought -- self moderating.

George is very kind in allowing people to start forums and moderate discussions.

If you dislike the actions of this ingroup of 5 or so, then why not start your own discussion forum where it would be appropriate to ask them to leave and not contribute.

In fact you could state very clearly in a sticky that the following individuals are not welcome on your forum this way the discussions will go in the manner you would like them to. To me this would be totally appropriate for a moderator to do on their forum.

As a forum moderator I step in when I feel it is out of hand and I ask people to back off when I see it as necessary.

On someone else's forum if I felt things had gotten out of hand (with me involved) and, not wanting to detract from the thread, I would remove the off topic item to this forum. However, I would be reluctant to consider doing so now if you have bias towards certain individuals.

Please let me say that I do appreciate your honesty and I respect you for being open. That shows you are of good character. However, I am now uncomfortable with the tone, and perhaps purpose, of this forum.

Am I wrong?

Please explain your comments and intentions concerning the ingroup of 5 or so you have already singled out.

Or please correct me if I have misunderstood your comments.
Oldfist

Post by Oldfist »

[b]Rick Wilson[/b] wrote: Please correct me if I am wrong and tell me how these words should have been interpreted.
Rick, you should read them as they were written, i.e. in the context of responding to your post as a self-identified, as you put it, whimp :D --long before I ever became a moderator.

It seems from your questions that you missed the last paragraphs of my post--please go back and re-read it carefully.

Note Well: I don't plan on defending myself against any arbitrary criticism or accusation that may randomly be made up by you, Rick, or anyone else. Please understand, I am not trying to win your approval or anyone else's on this forum. I am simply trying to do my best to moderate this forum and to do my job as forum arbitrator.

If you are dissatisfied with what I am doing then you should take your complaints to the site owner. Possibly, if more moderators agree with you, then you might try making your complaint jointly to the site owner.

John

Return to “Verbal Self Defense”