Rules of Engagement!

"OldFist" is the new and official Forum Arbitrator. "I plan to do a straight forward job of moderating, just upholding the mission statement of the forums, trying to make sure that everyone is courteous, and that no one is rudely intimidated by anyone else."

Moderator: gmattson

gmattson
Site Admin

Rules of Engagement!

Post by gmattson »

With the written word, each of us have a very personal understanding regarding what crosses the line between an attack of an issue and a personal attack. In perusing the CyberDojo this morning, I happened across a perfect example of this dilemma:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
Is this type of commentary appropriate on this list? From what I gather it is inapproprate to call someone's karate stupid or their style stupid and would come close to eliciting an expulsion. But it is acceptable to say someones "thoughts" are stupid!?
Does the person in fact, insult the individual by stating that his "thoughts" are stupid or are such comments fair game in the give and take world of the Internet?

------------------
GEM
LenTesta

Rules of Engagement!

Post by LenTesta »

Good question Sensei Mattson.

I believe it wrong to say the word "stupid" when comparing thoughts or individuals. A better phrase would be: "I do not agree with your views on this subject".

It is clear that the person who responds in this manner, objects to the writers views without giving an opinion of the writers intelligence.

No one wants to be likened as a moron. Even if one was a moron, no one likes to be reminded of that fact. It takes a lot of courage for some people to speak their minds on a public forum. Everyone has a right to post their views about the topics we discuss.

If you do not agree with something someone writes, that is your perogative, but please do not demean the writer by calling him or his thoughts "stupid". If the writer was misinformed or was not that knowlegeable about the topic, a good retort would be to clarify the topic for him/her.

------------------
Len Testa

Return to “Verbal Self Defense”