The Mugger

"OldFist" is the new and official Forum Arbitrator. "I plan to do a straight forward job of moderating, just upholding the mission statement of the forums, trying to make sure that everyone is courteous, and that no one is rudely intimidated by anyone else."

Moderator: gmattson

gmattson
Site Admin

The Mugger

Post by gmattson »

What happened to the 'pickpocket' experts... those individuals who practiced their art in schools and graduated only when they were able to relieve their victims of their valuables without the person even being aware they were robbed??

------------------
GEM
Panther

The Mugger

Post by Panther »

Professor, most of them have become professional magicians and make more $$$ that way.
f.Channell

The Mugger

Post by f.Channell »

It's amazing to think that someone who mugged people could ever do such an about face and lead a productive life. I got to know a guy who had a music store. I used to go in and try out new guitars and what not. well one day I found out he was an ex- bankrobber who did time. He told me he was on heroin and needed the money for his habit. He got out clean of heroin, got a job in a pawn shop, learned about guitars and instruments, and rebuilt his life. There is hope for anyone but few make it out.
But in Bruises scenario what happens if the guy has no wallet or its carried in his coat pocket? I wonder how many of us could accurately describe the mugger either. I have a friend who was a head clerk at a bank after a robbery (not the one my other friend robbed!). Every person gave a different description of the robber.
f.
crazycat

The Mugger

Post by crazycat »

I'd give about anything not to get that big nerve severed under that loucious ham of mine.

Do people really get abilitated?
Bruise Lee

The Mugger

Post by Bruise Lee »

i once read some advice attributed to Funakoshi (Shotokan). He had lots of tips to avoid muggings : never turn a corner too close to a wall - stay out on the edge of the sidewalk (or whatever they had in ancient Japan/Okinawa) so that as you turn the corner you to not bump into anyone or get surprised by someone hiding around the corner, to eat with chopsticks pointed to the side and not straight back or else someone could ram the chopsticks into ones throat, ...I can't remember them all, but none of Funakoshi's real self protection advice appeared to include any fancy martial arts techniques ----but my point is that at all times in martial arts history it does seem that some of the best advice is caution and awareness.

I do think that people can be rehabilitated. I don't think our prison system does this, but life often does. Life can round off the rough corners. My ex-mugging friend (his mugging days were in the early 60's) is one of the most patients dads I have ever seen. And really really involved with his kids. I met him through martial arts, but the only reason he got involved in martial arts was to have an activity with his kids - he had enough fighting by the time Viet Nam was over. He use to HALO jump into various areas where his sniping was requested so the fighting he actually saw was pretty intense at times. I don't know any details as he is not at liberty to discuss them.
MetaBaron

The Mugger

Post by MetaBaron »

You wrote:
------------------
Defeat is worse than death. You have to live with defeat - Seal Team Slogan

Do you really belive that?
-Meta

Return to “Verbal Self Defense”