Confused and Disapointed

"OldFist" is the new and official Forum Arbitrator. "I plan to do a straight forward job of moderating, just upholding the mission statement of the forums, trying to make sure that everyone is courteous, and that no one is rudely intimidated by anyone else."

Moderator: gmattson

Van Canna

Confused and Disapointed

Post by Van Canna »

Rory_ I know how you feel, I would have felt the same way had I not known the history of it.

Perhaps I should have gone into more detail as to why such strong preface, but I did not want to resurrect the ugliness of the past. So it makes a bit puzzling for non-Uechi people to grasp the situation, and I take responsibility for it.

Allen Moulton has already explained how Mr. Breyette had been insulted and vilified in the past on his own [Moulton] forum. And that’s only part of the story, there is more that I will not bring to light to spare some fine people more embarrassment.

Suffice to say that the two persons at the core of decisions made, and stands taken, prefaces written etc., in connection with the release of information as it were, are the same persons who Breyette sensei felt__ goaded him into exploding over the cyber waves three years ago. One of them is, unfortunately, the person you are referring to.

You were not around then, but it was pretty ugly, and Breyette sensei wanted to avoid another ugly scene and spare his esteemed sensei, Toyama Sama, needless heartache.

Breyette san never said he would not answer questions; he merely wanted to avoid pointless debate engendered by the flaming egos of some of us posters, as in the past. He was extremely reluctant of using an open forum as a means of sharing some wonderful information for all of us to enjoy; he preferred to respond individually to anyone with a sincere and honest desire to know about the old ways and to be sure that such knowledge would not be misused.

Again, he made it clear that any pointed disparity in the system was intentioned to inform, not to teach or impose any superiority, and he hastened to add that the old ways were no worse or better that any other modern, and well respected variations, just different.

He feared that plain, straight info would be badly received, ridiculed, or
derided. Whether it was so or not, it is not for us to say, but for Breyette san and Toyama sensei to perceive as it were. The rest is history.

As to JD, Rory, please understand that he and I had gotten to be close friends, and for that reason my reaction was more extreme as I did not expect of him to do what he did, in the manner that he did it. What he did say, and the manner he said it, was perceived to cast aspersions on the Zankai organization and Toyama sensei, and it caused embarrassment. That is not for us to judge but to respect. There are polite ways to ask questions without appearing to be confrontational or derisive in view of different cultural backgrounds. This seems never to be understood on these forums.

And as to JD and lost friendship, I will repeat that in spite of what has transpired, next time I see him I will still shake his hand in camaraderie as I know only too well the “blood reaction” syndrome.

You speak of “papal infallibility” of the source. I don’t know where you got that impression, but you are off target. Toyama sensei is a very simple, humble man, just teaching Kanbun sensei’s manner of system influence, as he understood it.

Overprotective? Perhaps!! As I would be of you or anyone else had I made the same promise I made to Breyette san and, indirectly, to Toyama sensei. I feel partly responsible for having engendered such turmoil in their lives by insisting that he make the information available on an open forum.

And also be aware of the fact that Breyette sensei has not placed any locks on the “information door,” he assures me that he will still share old knowledge with anyone sincere to know on a personal basis. He does not need his life to be made miserable by open debate__ can you blame him?

Hope this puts the matter to rest.

------------------
Van Canna
RA Miller

Confused and Disapointed

Post by RA Miller »

Thank you, Van.

Rory
Van Canna

Confused and Disapointed

Post by Van Canna »

Thank you, Rory.