Non-Verbal cues

"OldFist" is the new and official Forum Arbitrator. "I plan to do a straight forward job of moderating, just upholding the mission statement of the forums, trying to make sure that everyone is courteous, and that no one is rudely intimidated by anyone else."

Moderator: gmattson

LeeDarrow

Non-Verbal cues

Post by LeeDarrow »

How many of us have ever ben in a situation where we knew, well beforehand, that someone was going to start to fight? Particularly when we haven't said a word to the person or heard them say anything?

Non-verbal communication, something we rely on in competition to anticipate our opponent's next move, is more widely applicable.

How do eye movements, stance, breathing, hand position, finger motions and set of lips communicate even more loudly than words?

What signals have YOU noticed that consistantly tell you something about someone?

Have you ever been able to use that knowledge to stop a fight before it started? Or to stop one once it was going?

I'd be interested in your comments.

Respectfully,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
LenTesta

Non-Verbal cues

Post by LenTesta »

Very good topic Lee-san.

I was beginning to think that any defense other than physical was all that anyone wanted to comment about. Image

I will sit back on this for awhile and let others speak up.

I was also thinking about asking Sensei Mattson to change the name of this forum to
Non Physical Self-Defense.

This post is a start in that direction.

------------------
Len
LeeDarrow

Non-Verbal cues

Post by LeeDarrow »

Thank you, Testa- Sensei!

This is a topic that many in our dojo discussed after long workouts. My Sensei was brilliant at spotting these little cues that people would given even in daily life. It was uncanny how he would look at a person walking down the street and say, "She will turn right into the drug store," and she would.

Mind you, this was NOT in his hometown, but in an unfamiliar city, where the person in question had a wide variety of choices. And he wase invariably correct.

Frankly, from where I am seitting now, he could have taken that act on the road!

It will be interesting to see how this thread comes out.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Resepectfully,

Le Darrow, C.Ht.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LenTesta:
Very good topic Lee-san.

I was beginning to think that any defense other than physical was all that anyone wanted to comment about. Image

I will sit back on this for awhile and let others speak up.

I was also thinking about asking Sensei Mattson to change the name of this forum to
Non Physical Self-Defense.

This post is a start in that direction.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Allen M.

Non-Verbal cues

Post by Allen M. »

I think it's normal perception to be able to tell when something is going down, just like driving in traffic: after a while you know exactly when someone is going to maneuver; you can just smell it.

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera

Return to “Verbal Self Defense”