Walk softly carry a big stick

"OldFist" is the new and official Forum Arbitrator. "I plan to do a straight forward job of moderating, just upholding the mission statement of the forums, trying to make sure that everyone is courteous, and that no one is rudely intimidated by anyone else."

Moderator: gmattson

madfrank

Post by madfrank »

Hi I'm new to the forum. I used to be quite soft and got bullied. Age,life and training have made me tougher. People tell me Ilook like some one you wouldn't mess with. But I do not look for trouble. So I feel I have found a form of non verbal selfdefence.
What do others think?
Steven.
LenTesta

Post by LenTesta »

Hello Steven,
Welcome to the Eastern Arts Martial Arts Forums.

We have discussed stature and non physical self defense in the past. Many believe that larger than normal people have nothing to worry about when it comes to self defense.

Also people who dress in leather and/or ride motorcycles.

People look at a persons size or appearance then determine that they do not want to pick on that person for those reasons. This is often the majority of individuals who may consider attacking a big man.

Then there are others, big men themselves, who will "pick on you" because of your size. More so if you have a quiet and peaceful demeanor.

It is always wise to conduct yourself with humility and compassion toward your fellow men and women, even though you may be perceived to be a "push over".

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
People tell me I look like some one you wouldn't mess with.
Why? Are you a big man? Do you have tatoos all over your body?

------------------
Len
madfrank

Post by madfrank »

Hi again,
I'm about 5 foot 11, pretty stocky, well built.
I'm not sure why people see me as this, but they do.
I don't get picked on and have been to some pretty tough places.
I do believe that confidence helps in this matter. I look like a bouncer, friends also tell me.
Plus I'm not fearful of attack anymore.
It is all in my looks and demeanour I guess, brought on by my internal state, if this makes any sense.
This is non verbal and non physical.
Steven.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LenTesta:
Hello Steven,
Welcome to the Eastern Arts Martial Arts Forums.

We have discussed stature and non physical self defense in the past. Many believe that larger than normal people have nothing to worry about when it comes to self defense.

Also people who dress in leather and/or ride motorcycles.

People look at a persons size or appearance then determine that they do not want to pick on that person for those reasons. This is often the majority of individuals who may consider attacking a big man.

Then there are others, big men themselves, who will "pick on you" because of your size. More so if you have a quiet and peaceful demeanor.

It is always wise to conduct yourself with humility and compassion toward your fellow men and women, even though you may be perceived to be a "push over".

Why? Are you a big man? Do you have tatoos all over your body?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
LenTesta

Post by LenTesta »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
I do believe that confidence helps in this matter.
Absolutely.

The "signals" one gives off, of the confidence in your ability to thwart an attack, is often picked up by predators who are looking for an unsuspecting and easy prey. Of course knowledge and practice goes hand in hand with confidence. The more you know and the more often that you practice what you know as close to reality as you can make it, the more confident you will become.
Experience has a lot to do with it also.

When a predator is scanning the room or area that you are in, you can convey this "internal state of confidence" by never lowering your eyes or glancing at the exit door. This is an art in itself as much as physical self-defense is. One that should be practiced as much as well. Of course you cannot hold your stare on this predator or he will take that as a direct challenge. It is similar to attacking someone because you perceive that they will attack you first. This confidence is definately non verbal and non physical self defense.

"Fear is the mind killer" - quote from the book "Dune." One should not be "fearful" of an attack. A lack of confidence or fear can be directly attributed to a lack of knowledge, experience, or improper training in reality situations. If you are not aware of your surroundings at all times, you may be fearful if you are surprised and don't react quick enough.

Awareness builds confidence and diminishes fear no matter how much knowlegde and training that you have.

------------------
Len

Return to “Verbal Self Defense”