Loud Mouth Drinking Buddy

"OldFist" is the new and official Forum Arbitrator. "I plan to do a straight forward job of moderating, just upholding the mission statement of the forums, trying to make sure that everyone is courteous, and that no one is rudely intimidated by anyone else."

Moderator: gmattson

Ted Dinwiddie

Post by Ted Dinwiddie »

On another forum a scenario was presented which was, in my opinion, more appropriate to this forum. I will paraphrase the situation.

You are in a bar with some people and a guy in the group is running his mouth about his new car. A large man at the bar takes umbrage with your companion's loud crowing and tells him to pipe down. Your companion tells the guy "Shut up, you don't want to mess with us, he (pointing to you) knows (insert MA of choice)!"

Many variables here, but my first response is going to be to my "buddy." I will call into question his assumption of my willingness to cover for his poor judgement.

thoughts?

------------------
ted

"I learn by going where I have to go." - Theodore Roethke
Ted Dinwiddie

Post by Ted Dinwiddie »

The closest I have been to getting into an actual fight in the last ten years was because of my hot-tempered, impulsive wife running her mouth. Luckily, the individual in question had the restraint not to give back what he was getting.

------------------
ted

LenTesta

Post by LenTesta »

Ted,
Thanks for posting this in the VSD forum.
I did not see the original post but I am assuming that it came form Van's Forum. Many of the topics in the Realities of Self Defense forum can be discussed here as well.

I will sit back and wait for others to respond before I add some thoughts of my own.

------------------
Len
beau robinson

Post by beau robinson »

you will find that this stuff doesnt happen anymore when you stop going to bars and hanging around crowds while they drink.

i still drink but the drama decreases greatly when we do as taught and avoid danger rather than always training to confront it.
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Ted,

Right on.

"Animal Mac young" writes much about the trouble some women can get a guy into with their loudmouths fueled by wine or liquor.

[ No offense to your wife intended]

Once, at a party, I witnessed the wife of a real nice guy [ too nice] get sauced and making a spectacle of herself with other men seeking attention and validation as a woman.

Non stop talking and suggestive remarks.The men not only called her a "floozie" but began to insult her husband for not being a man in allowing the spectacle to continue.

It almost came to a knife fight.

Better know your women, before taking them out in public. Image

This, of course, applies to men as well. [PC] Image

------------------
Van Canna

[This message has been edited by Van Canna (edited April 10, 2002).]
Ted Dinwiddie

Post by Ted Dinwiddie »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
you will find that this stuff doesnt happen anymore when you stop going to bars and hanging around crowds while they drink.
i still drink but the drama decreases greatly when we do as taught and avoid danger rather than always training to confront it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the last time it happened there was NO alcohol involved. It was the middle of the afternoon in my usually quiet neighborhood and the result of overreaction to a misunderstanding between children.

So, what do we do when the situation requires us to confront it if we have not trained to confront it? I have found my training for violence has given me better presence of mind to alleviate the situation without violence. Many situations do not improve unless confronted. I will bring all my tools, hoping to only need a few small, soft ones, but ready with the big iron if required.

------------------
ted

LeeDarrow

Post by LeeDarrow »

Ted-sama,

Been there! My response was to say to my friend, so the other guy could hear me - "Sorry, you deal with it. Whatever's going on is between you two and I don't appreciate you trying to get me caught in the crossfire. I'll talk to you later about this."

And headed for the door. My friend was dumbstruck, the big guy said something like wise decision (which I ignored) and I went home.

No fight occurred, but it probably would have if I had stayed.

Sometimes, you just have to know when to walk away.

Respectfully,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.

Return to “Verbal Self Defense”