On talking your way out

"OldFist" is the new and official Forum Arbitrator. "I plan to do a straight forward job of moderating, just upholding the mission statement of the forums, trying to make sure that everyone is courteous, and that no one is rudely intimidated by anyone else."

Moderator: gmattson

LeeDarrow

Post by LeeDarrow »

Fred Sanford wrote:I'm one of those people that doesn't do too well when someone tries to punk me out, I rise to the bait and usually call them on it. This just an example and and probably an extreme one at that, but backing down is looked upon as a sign of weakness by most of these modern day punks.

the last time that happened some guy decided he didn't like me for absolutely no reason, he started talking ##### to me when I walked up to the bar to purchase a couple of drinks and my response was "hey Tom(one of my friends) watch this, and i preceded to punch the guy 3 or 4 times and turned on my heel and walked out. If I wouldn't have done this I would have been screwed with all night by this a-hole, so you figure it out, I'm not eating crap for anyone, I'd rather go down swinging.

All i can say is that verbal self defense is great, but without being willing and able to commit to more you ain't gonna get but only so far.
Somehow, my "Detect Troll" spell is going off here.

What Fred describes is assault & battery, plain and simple.

And one has to wonder where the bouncers were during all this and why he wasn't detained for punching someone out?

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
"No matter where you go, there you MIGHT be!" - Heisenberg
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

LOL

that's a true story. I had a lot of stuff going on at the time dealing with my dad's cancer and that guy started screwing with me for no reason.

I walked right out and actually it would probably be just battery. Assault and battery is redundant.

right there in Chicago on North avenue pretty much beneath the EL tracks.
Good old Estelle's. At Estelle's they might have somebody checking Id's and that's about it, pretty mellow place usually.

...and lets be honest here, how are most 20somethings going to respond when called a p*ssy and a coward in front of their girlfriend and friends, if they back down how will it effect them mentally? I honestly feel better about that (but still not great about it) than I would if I would have backed down and slunk away.
LeeDarrow

Post by LeeDarrow »

Fred Sanford wrote:LOL

that's a true story. I had a lot of stuff going on at the time dealing with my dad's cancer and that guy started screwing with me for no reason.

I walked right out and actually it would probably be just battery. Assault and battery is redundant.

right there in Chicago on North avenue pretty much beneath the EL tracks.
Good old Estelle's. At Estelle's they might have somebody checking Id's and that's about it, pretty mellow place usually.

...and lets be honest here, how are most 20somethings going to respond when called a p*ssy and a coward in front of their girlfriend and friends, if they back down how will it effect them mentally? I honestly feel better about that (but still not great about it) than I would if I would have backed down and slunk away.
Bein' an old Chicago boy (born & raised in Oak Park, to be precise), I know Estelle's and understand 20somethings pretty well. Glad you didn't take offense.

In high school, I had a confrintation with a kid in gym class. I was assisting in swimming and was tasked to make sure that people didn't touch bottom on a distance swim during a life saving certification class.

I kept catching this one guy trying to touch down and we had a few words. No biggie.

In the locker room, he comes up to me and chews me out. I said "Sorry." He screamed "Don't swear at me!" and sucker punched my in the mouth.

My inside upper lip got cut pretty bad. More in shock than anything, I took my towel and stuck it into the wound and removed it - soaked in blood.

All I said to him was: "Are you satisfied?" He walked away, only to return a few minutes later, all over apologetic and sorry.

When the Coach came in, I said I'd slipped and hit myself on a bench.

We became good friends after that.

Best fight I never had. And I was already ni-kyu at the time, so I had no doubt that I could have done some damage, but chose the high ground as my Sensei had taught me.

Different lives, different approaches, I guess.

Respectfully,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com

Return to “Verbal Self Defense”