sticks and stones and politcs

"OldFist" is the new and official Forum Arbitrator. "I plan to do a straight forward job of moderating, just upholding the mission statement of the forums, trying to make sure that everyone is courteous, and that no one is rudely intimidated by anyone else."

Moderator: gmattson

Dana Sheets

sticks and stones and politcs

Post by Dana Sheets »

Never discuss god or politics...

In the "Tough Issues" forum "Left" and "Right" and "Conservative" and "Liberal" and "Republican" and "Democrat" are being thrown around and illiciting much stronger responses than many conventional insults.

What is it about politics and tempers? Why does our dander rise so quickly when our social platform is put in the limelight?

Dana
LeeDarrow

Re: sticks and stones and politcs

Post by LeeDarrow »

Dana Sheets wrote:Never discuss god or politics...

In the "Tough Issues" forum "Left" and "Right" and "Conservative" and "Liberal" and "Republican" and "Democrat" are being thrown around and illiciting much stronger responses than many conventional insults.

What is it about politics and tempers? Why does our dander rise so quickly when our social platform is put in the limelight?

Dana
Dana-Sensei,

This is one that I never could figure out. Perhaps it is because some folks feel threatened by the stereotyping of such labels that causes such extreme responses?

I mean, depending on the topic and situation I am a conservative liberal prochoice, prolife, pro gun non-gun owner who feels there are too many guns on the street and who also feels that the right to free speech shall not be abridged, but who also feela manners are essential.

Go figure.

Maybe it's the idea that when one calls someone a Democrat they mean a bunch of things that are stereotypically attached to the sobriquet - fiscal generosity (profligate spending), lack of support for national defense, etc. or a Republican - fiscal conservatism (read cutbacks for all social projects), strong national defense (warmongers), anti-freedom (see terrorism tribunals with no open trials allowed).

The above paragraph is NOT an expression of my beliefs, but some of the stereotypes I have observed being applied in other places to these labels. Please don't take it personally, readers.

All of these are loaded words and stereptypes and perhaps some folks don't like the idea of getting lumped into a group that they don't totally agree with.

I know that I don't agree with all of the ideas expressed in the above stereotypes - that's for certain!

So, maybe it's the person saying, "Hey! I'm ME - not some *&%$#^&% LABEL!!"

But I could be wrong, that's also possible.

Respectfully,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
LenTesta

Post by LenTesta »

Hello Dana,

Discussing Politics and Religion has caused many people in all types of forums to disagree for many reasons.

There are too many issues to disagree with. The political parties are too set in their beliefs to change any of their ideals. Dividing the population into two different groups was an idea way past it's time. However there are many who believe that parties should be abolished. Why support a party when you do not support all of the views of that party.
It is this type of agreeing and disagreeing on the many issues that cause people to feel so strongly toward what they feel is important to them.

Politics are about the lives of people and how people will be affected by what laws the government chooses to enact or not to enact. It is the feeling that they may not get what they want that cause such animosity over the topics. Arguing over whether a front kick is delivered above or below the belt just doesn't have the same conviction as arguing over whether the USA is morally right in trying to free the Iraqi people from a tyrant dictator. You can try the kick either way and like it or not. You know that there are only a few people affected by the fact that you disagree with how the front kick is delivered. There are millions affected by the decision of the USA to attack the regime of Saddam and liberate Iraq.

Religion!!! Another taboo area!!! Needless to say, discussions revolving around subjects about whom there is no absolute proof (God and Aliens) will cause disagreements and viewpoints to become sacred. Someone's belief in God, whether proven or not, is based upon faith. No one has the right to condemn or disagree with someone’s belief. But there are scientific minded individuals who will be more than happy to dispute someone’s faith because there is no absolute proof of Gods existence. The same goes for topics involving Aliens from other planets. We cannot prove or disprove either of these topics. So many will choose the side they believe and will, at times, defend it to the death.

I guess the answer to your question is this Dana...

These topics of discussion have an impact on how people will personally conduct their lives in the real world. An impact that may cause an unwanted law to be thrust upon them or the fact that they are serving their time on earth for no particularly good reason other than to enjoy the fact that they can argue about things that they cannot change by themselves.
Len

Return to “Verbal Self Defense”