Origin of Modern Aikido

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Hi Jim:

I learned this form of Shoken (the usual Uechi one is the one you described) at a seminar taught by Michael DePasqualle Sr.

I have since found it in books and articles on various styles of Xing Yi and Mantis and others.

“In this pic it seems only the pressure of the thumb pressing down supports the pointy index finger and so I cannot fathom how great power, let alone max power could be used. Not saying you can't but I don't see how.”

I have no problem with it. You have to know also how to align the strike and that only comes with hitting people. The thumb also is working a decreasing wedge thing.

I always found I hurt my thumb when placing it behind the finger. It just jammed back on me.

Yet my friend Reg Kinal can drill a makiwara (and me) with that kind of Shoken, so different ones work for different people in striking.

I have in the past worked my Shoken on the makiwara and heavy bag but it is really not made for such objects. It is made to hit people and it works very well there. (The makiwara limb conditioning video clip has me hitting it with a moderate strike.)

So,
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

Rick Wilson wrote: The thumb also is working a decreasing wedge thing.
Got it. 8)

Try the straight/bent finger variation for fun..!

-------------

I can see how it could/would hurt in the right spots (if you can get to them) but I like having (mainly) a single all purpose semi-pointy blast 'em fist... But that's me...

I prefer more simple general purpose blasting tools and I'd like to find a replacement for some of our nukite intercepting apps, but nothing else I like seems to fit so far..
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

"Painting all Aiki with that brush is pretty far fetched. I've seen some pretty lame excuses of prearranged kumites in my time... doesn't mean I'd judge an enire karate system by that. You find all different types everywhere. Jorvik studies a very martial Tai Chi, the people who teach it im my town learned through a correspondence sourse and kater to the elderly and the New Age crowd and see it more as a dance than a martial art....***** "

actually Ben it isn't that martial, there are lots of things that are left out.......I'm actually starting at a Wing-Chun school next week.....the TC may get binned shortly, I'm nothing if not consistent............My MA journey continues :lol: :lol: :wink:
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

, I'm nothing if not consistent............My MA journey continues

You and I probably have a lot in common. :) I've investigated a few places here in my town. Right now the Aikido is good enough to teach me some ways to crank a wrist or two, pin someone, or disrupt someones balance. I've got my Uechi Kata,cardio work, and weights to keep me going. I'd like to just get with a bunch of guys who want to train for real :D

Do you know any Hathaways in your part of England Jorvik. My people came to New England in 1630.
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

"You and I probably have a lot in common. "

I think that you are probably right about that.......most folks here tend to agree with each other it's just the medium that causes confussion...I did Aiki for exactly the same reasons as you and Tony.....I wanted wrist locks :twisted: , and neat throws.....and it's ok ( for what it is).just don't buy into the bullschitt

Do you know any Hathaways in your part of England Jorvik. My people came to New England in 1630.

Sorry Ben
I don't , my family have only been here for a while.they originally came from
Scotland and Ireland.....and where I am (Liverpool) is really a mix between Ireland and Scotland and Wales.it's not really English at all :lol:
ask any "Scouser" :wink:

Post by Guest »

jorvik

Post by jorvik »

So True, So True :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”