Origin of Modern Aikido

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

AAAhmed46

Call it lack or sparring or even too much compliance with the persons defense and I would hazard a guess as a Judoka that this is what they are talking about.

I hesitate to comment too much on aikido as I have never done it but I have read a lot about it and the books I read give it too many "supernatural" powers for my taste.

In my books Ueshiba could disapear and re-appear in another room.
He could pin multiple guys on the floor and hold them.
These kinds of things irritate me.
If I could appear and re-appear I'd be making a great living robbing banks, not teaching martial arts. :D

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

OK.. I'll tip my cards.

There's an Aikido club at the rec center up the street from me and I've been learning from them. The price is right.. something like 2 bucks a class.

I don't find the attacks any less convincing than the ones I've seen in Uechi prearanged kumite. In fact the instructors have got on me because my attacks at the ladies were not convincing enough.

Funny thing, the harder you attack the harder you are thrown!

The way I see it is learning some new stuff isn't going to hurt.. me at least :) As to what Fred posted about O Sensei's supernatural abilities,well, I'll just try and keep it real. There's a Judo Jujitsu club nearby too.. 25 a month I may check them out when this session of Aikido runs out. THere is a noted lack of grappleing in Aikido.
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Ben,
what style of aikido is it?
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Hey for $2.00 a month it's hard not to check it out.
I think Judo and aikido with complement each other nicely.
You can get all the randori in Judo usually.
F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

Jorvik,

The school is unafilliated. It's a non profit club that's run for over ten years. The upside is it's dirt cheap.. the downside, they can't promote beyond shodan :roll: But it's all good, we were working some good stuff last night. Once again I was encouraged to make my attack more convincing.. which can be hard when you know you are about to get flipped on to the mat :lol: Here's a link to the add for them
http://eservices.roanokecountyva.gov/pr ... asp?aid=18Image

Fred, The Aikido is something like 2 bucks a class. The Judo/Juijitsu is 25 a month.
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

benzocaine wrote:Once again I was encouraged to make my attack more convincing.. which can be hard when you know you are about to get flipped on to the mat
Hey, then why not make it really convincing and actually try to hit the Tori, assuming they have some time in; Try it without too much commitment - or set it up with a fake or feint! :shocked!: Hell, you could even retract the attack if they don't time it right or throw a combo! :shocked!: :shocked!: ...

I always wanted, and probably will someday train a little Aiki and I would just love to make the attack convincing...just how real would they like it? :twisted: A little sticking perhaps.... I love flying anyway. :D
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

Hey, then why not make it really convincing and actually try to hit the Tori, assuming they have some time in; Try it without too much commitment - or set it up with a fake or feint! Hell, you could even retract the attack if they don't time it right or throw a combo! ...
Ha ha.. no doubt I have to remember that these are just principles I am learning, and not manditory responses to attacks. There have been times already where I've thought of how a good roundouse kick to the thigh would work.

But isn't that part of studying any martial art, finding the stuff within it that best works for you?
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Ben
The style looks to be tradional Aiki, the other styles are quite a bit different.
I'm glad to hear that they are using proper attacks, punches and kicks etc..........when I did it they just tried to chop you on the head, or launch a punch at your stomach from about 10 feet away.....and cr*p like that :x ...maybe they've wised up and realised that if you call it a fighting art then you have to be able to fight with it :lol: ...............hope they've dropped the "Ki" nonsense as well.the "unbendable arm" etc
benzocaine

ikkyo

Post by benzocaine »

Stryke

Post by Stryke »

I don't find the attacks any less convincing than the ones I've seen in Uechi prearanged kumite. In fact the instructors have got on me because my attacks at the ladies were not convincing enough.
whats unconvincing about the prearranged kumites Ben ?

Sorry mate :lol:
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

Hey Marcus.. no comment :roll:

Check out this throw. It could be used right from a Wauke block :twisted:

http://www.aikidoofjacksonville.com/PLRKKokyunage.mpg
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Hey Ben thats not Aikido , but a shotokan throw :D

ever wonder why other karate styles turn the long way around ?

cool stuff mate
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Awe cummon Ben...You said that they trained against "realistic" attacks........a little fat guy running at you to grab your lapel :lol: :lol: :lol:
...........i could drop him with a left, wouldn't have to sweat or do anything fancy :wink:
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

Jorvik,

Realistic attack or not buddy, there are principles there that I'd have never learned (well unless I traveled 180 miles to Bill G's school.. who is a BB in Aikido BTW :wink: ) sweating out kata day in and out.

Besides.. just found out that the Judo club in town here has an Aiki..(what is it... :twisted: ) -Jujitsu club(Daito ryu??? I hope) that uses the floor 2x a week :twisted:

I'll check that out soon.

Loving this Aiki stuff BTW, even if it is a Do. I suppose I can just think of it as a Jutsu though eh?
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

benzocaine wrote: Loving this Aiki stuff BTW, even if it is a Do. I suppose I can just think of it as a Jutsu though eh?
Ben

Yes, it's Do, but that's okay. In the end it's up to you, the student, to train the concepts as you wish. No doubt in the early stages one needs to go slow anyway. Later on, you may decide to take, those, things you wish to the next level and train them into your combat base, with resistance training, if you so choose.. :)

If you ever get around to doing chi sao you may find that many of, if not most, of the 'stuff' you learn here and there can be trained from within that paradigm as well, which can help build in additional tactile stimulus / response work making the transition to full resistance easier.

The Daito Ryu sounds cool...and that's one on my wish list too. :D
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”