Combining Uechi and other arts

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
Josann

Combining Uechi and other arts

Post by Josann »

I am curious about what other arts some of you do and how it fits in with your uechi ryu. What do you study for a grappling art? How do you use it with what you learned about uechi to make it your own style? How long before both styles combine into something instinctual? I am learning small circle jujitsu and am learning that the 2 styles can be combined well. Similar stance and a good transition
from a wauke or grag to a lock, arm bar, sweep, throw etc. I am finding that I am getting better in the dojo with jujitsu, but when I get into a jam I immediately go into san chin and use those techniques. Any input would be of interest.

Josann
kelly

Post by kelly »

I study uechi and Tae kwon Do and have found while there is very little similarity betwen the styles they complement each other well. I switch between the two depending on distance, Uechi=short range TKD=long range, with a sort of combination in the middle. Of course stances are very different and my TKD training rarely focused on blocks other that what's in kata, so each sort of filled in the other.
robb buckland

cross training

Post by robb buckland »

:D I teach at the local boxing club and that exposes me to a wealth of old school knowledge....In 1986 , when I first met Joe Lewis my x-training really exploded ie: Judo to fall and throw any other styles that would "play with me".....I think my Uechi suffered....with Mr Lewis it was all or nothing then...and his all was alot to absorb especially for a "slow learner" like myself....I keep up with the "research " better now but have also stopped saving the "lables and origins of stuff" alot of times another instructor will say something and demonstrate it and I'll think, "oh thats where thats from .... ":lol:

Now I realize that because Uechi is my "foundation art " that all is my Uechi :D :D :D !!!!

Do lots of stuff keep what ya like !!! :D :D Robb
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
hoshin

Post by hoshin »

hey, Josann
i think you are on the right track. before i did uechi i did aikido. i remember my first uechi summer camp and one of the old timers (instructors) was going over all the various locks found in uechi. i think many people and instructors forget that all Fukian styles will include chin -na ( locks and grabs) and that includes uechi. since its somewhat a lost practice for us i have been researching all the other Fukian styles like southern mantis and the various crane styles.
the main difference i see is that in aikido , it is soft art and only trys to controll the person thru pressure applied to the joint . while in chinese chin-na i feel the point is to actually cause damage to the joint redering that limb usless.

steve
KYUechi

Re: Combining Uechi and other arts

Post by KYUechi »

Deleted. Just noticed this was an old thread.
SanchinDan

Re: Combining Uechi and other arts

Post by SanchinDan »

Old, schmold!

Sounds worth reviving...

I studied other arts myself, and it helps in seeing more of what Uechi really contains.

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”